Saved on TNT

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Touche on the EMT level not being specified, but then again, I wouldn't expect the people on the show to know the differences.

I had anti-virals on there since it's "anti-retrovirals"

It's just a lack of attention to detail in the entire show. If only they had spent just a liiiiiittle bit more time on it, then it wouldn't be as botched as it is. While watching the show it's so blatantly obvious that none of these guys know what the hell they're talking about or saying and that could have been easily fixed by spending more time with the tech. advisor.

I should have been more specific on some of my points since the aspects of each which i'm criticizing may not seem as obvious. But you're right on certain points.

I have a question regarding the SB Intubation:
The Pt has a knife in the Left upper quadrant of his chest, somehow he has "equal lung sounds" (uh...) and they decide to perform a thoracotomy. The doc orders that they intubate only the unaffected lung. what's that about?
Is it to avoid positive ventilation pressure to make the possible pneumothorax into an (unlikely) TPX? The paramedics state that he has equal lung sounds.

I know it's just a TV show, but this issue's the one thing I just don't get.

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
disassociative said:
I'd like to see an EMS show; where they give Medics baseball bats and 5 minutes alone with their "favorite" pt's. That would be hilarious

LOL. How about invisible fences so frequent fliers can't wander away from their homes and end up 5 towns away drunk and lost?

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

SwissEMT said:
I have a question regarding the SB Intubation:
The Pt has a knife in the Left upper quadrant of his chest, somehow he has "equal lung sounds" (uh...) and they decide to perform a thoracotomy. The doc orders that they intubate only the unaffected lung. what's that about?
Is it to avoid positive ventilation pressure to make the possible pneumothorax into an (unlikely) TPX? The paramedics state that he has equal lung sounds.

I know it's just a TV show, but this issue's the one thing I just don't get.

Maybe they're worried that the breathing is causing additional damage, so ventilating only the right side would reduce movement on the affected left side? Not sure. I would think there would be some difficulty breathing on the left side, but you never know, if it somehow missed the lung, there might not be any difference. I would chalk it up to precaution.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
rescuecpt said:
LOL. How about invisible fences so frequent fliers can't wander away from their homes and end up 5 towns away drunk and lost?

Hey now. I only did that twice, and I can blame it on all the tequila. :)

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
It's a TV show, for entertainment purposes only, if you're not entertained, don't watch it. I don't believe the average citizen is going to consider what "they saw" on a television "drama" show before they dial 911. Especially of they're gushing blood or heaving guts, or admiring splintered bones sticking out of places they shouldn't be. --Maybe I give people too much credit. <shrug>

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Go Maria, Go Maria.... I concur 110%. As I stated earlier, first we cuss and gripe because we don't get any attention, and then we complain when we DO get attention... Make up your mind!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
MariaCatEMT said:
It's a TV show, for entertainment purposes only, if you're not entertained, don't watch it. I don't believe the average citizen is going to consider what "they saw" on a television "drama" show before they dial 911. Especially of they're gushing blood or heaving guts, or admiring splintered bones sticking out of places they shouldn't be. --Maybe I give people too much credit. <shrug>

The problem is the public does think this is normal genre make up of what EMS is or how we function. Look at the influences other medical shows have had from Emergency, to ER etc..

Even 20/20 did a segment on how the public expects the same outcomes on resuscitation. ACEP is seeing a larger of potential lawsuits because "granny" died or a trauma patient didn't live. Very unrealistic expectations not even close on any behavior, treatment and outcomes.

The only major PR we have in EMS is what the public sees on t.v., EMS is definitely not known for its marketing skills. So we DO need to monitor what is being published, marketed, and displayed.

Other health professions, such as nursing and physicians have lobbyist and "watchdog" groups to help make sure that their profession is shown in a positive light. We should too...

Let stop these before there even broadcasted or raise attention enough that producers Can make accurate changes. Having characters that are unrealistic, or displaying unprofessional attire such as wearing a t-shirt all the time, being a drug user, or even crying over calls is not even good drama. These folks would be canned immediately at most EMS.

It would not be any harder to produce a television or movie with more accurate settings, dialogue, behavior, and even medical knowledge. It just takes more creative thoughts that apparently screenwriters have no longer have or want to invest. Reproduction of former shows that flopped, with predictable plot lines. You know it's bad when reality t.v. is the best thing on......
R/r 911

disassociative

Forum Captain
I agree; the media has in some ways given the public false hope; for instance--someone is in a chronic vegetative condition: multiple physicians
have diagnosed it; and countless practitioners have told them the statistics; as well as provided medical literature, but they still cling on to the hope that their beloved will wake up due to these media miracles in which a guy is in a coma or CVS for 5 years; and boom wakes up with no brain injury or myological deficits
whatsoever.

People are under the assumption that CVS pt are like they see on TV; sleeping
and never making a movement; when in reality; there are eye movements, responses to pain, and even some sounds; people want to hold on for as long as they can, and the media is creating false hope.

People tend to Generalize; they don't care about the differences between
EMT-B, EMT-IV, EMT-I, EMT-P, cc or any other titles; to you
they are an EMT.

Just like when a nurse prac puts out a script; some reply; "Wow; I didn't know nurses could write prescriptions."

To them you are a Doctor, EMT, Nurse, or Fire Fighter.

fender1878

Forum Ride Along
I agree with you disassociative, Ridryder911 & GaEMT:

The public already has no idea what we do. Most of the public doesn't even realize how advanced ALS care has become across the nation.

I must hear at least once a week at either a show and tell, or from patients "so do you guys just use the sirens for fun..." or "do you guys just use supplies (o2, IV, etc) on yourself?" I don't know where some of you work, but here in Southern California it's not tolerated. Regardless of if you work for a private ambulance company, paid fire dept, volly fire dept, paid call dept, whatever....uniform codes and SOP's are strongly enforced. I can't understand this mentality of volly depts being allowed to conform to a lower standard just because they aren't paid. They're still doing the same job, with the same safety standards needed.

Some like to say "well come on, we all know someone who has started a line on themselves...not followed procedures at one time, etc" Ya so what! That doesn't look good to anybody. Just because it is done doesn't mean we should televise it! Those people "we all know" were also the ones we all said at one time should be fired, or "how is so and so still working here" or "ya i'd love to take an OT shift this weekend but it's with so and so." They aren't the ones any dept or company is running to to be their new poster child or PR rep. We should be working on eliminating these kind of people. This is a job were we need to have fun and joke to stay sane, but certain things should just not be tolerated. Yes we have stress, but we are a select breed of people who should be able to overcome that stress appropriately.

Some have compared this show to "Reno 911." Yes, there are a lot of officers that like the show, however, it's a comedy! It's advertised as a comedy, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it air on Comedy Central?!?! It's designed as a satire..."Saved" is not. Saved is being portrayed as an actual depiction of our job. It's downright embarrassing.

I understand "ER" isn't perfect either, however, it has been on the air now for YEARS. I don't think the show is that good anymore, because it has become to soap opera for my taste, but it still does well. In fact, this is a show that was at its pinnacle years ago, when it was way more technical and medical oriented. It's med tech side was very good considering it was tv. In fact I know the med director on the show, and he himself is a LA County paramedic. You don't have to overly dramatize a medical show, and take out every realistic quality to make it successful.

Some have also nailed it right on the head...some of these shows create false expectations for our patients and family members. I have enough patients who want to argue with me on scene, let alone ones who want to start diagnosing themselves, or telling me what procedures I should do, based on what they hear on TV.

We have seen shows way more realistic that have done equally as good if not better. Cops (which is still syndicated all day long, on multiple channels, every day of the week, hell they still have marathons of this show on holiday weekends), Emergency!, ER, 1 Adam 12, the list goes on.

This show wouldn't be so bad if they just changed a few little things....proper uniform, BSI, no improper use of equipment or lines, proper radio etiquette (i don't care where you work, the way they talk on the radio isn't acceptable...especially where in one episode the crew calls the dispatcher a **** over the radio).

I'll get off my soap box now!

-Louie

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

I guess people in my area don't watch as much TV as in other areas, because I haven't had problems, in the past six years of doing this, which have ever involved a patient relating anything my crew or I do to something they saw on tv. I guess that's why the show doesn't bother me, and in fact I find it somewhat entertaining. Maybe its just me being simple minded.

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
I know someone has probably posted about it already oh well Im doing it again. So has anyone had the chance to catch this show on monday nights on tnt? It's called Saved and its basically the life of paramedics. It's a pretty good show as of now.Tell me what you think.

Keith:p

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
fm_emt said:
Bad student. No donut! :p

*whack*

The original thread is here: http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=2912

No real need to start another thread about it since the first thread is only a few threads down the list. :)

Sorry sorry, I am a noob. This message board is a little different than the one I usually post on. Sooner or later I shall learn:)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
fm_emt said:
That's ok, the powers that be seem to have merged the threads. :D
Sorry, thy powers got lazy and didn't mention the merge :)

Sineath02

Forum Lieutenant
MMiz said:
Sorry, thy powers got lazy and didn't mention the merge :)

So, Im guessing by the number of your posts that you are the moderator?:ph34r:

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

This is actually MMIZ's baby. And then there are a couple of other moderators too. :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Just to chime in - I'm not a moderator - I just live here ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
MedicStudentJon said:
Just to chime in - I'm not a moderator - I just live here ;)

Our mistake was that we fed him once and now he won't leave us alone.

:p J/K

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

ffemt8978 said:
Our mistake was that we fed him once and now he won't leave us alone.

:p J/K

Lol, I just mentioned that we always used to say "don't feed Jon" in another thread. :)