Saudi Red Crescent Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Question,
For those of you who have applied and took your medic somewhere other than a community college I.E. training center or internal fire department how did you provide "transcripts"?

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I went through a hospital based program and they were able to print me a transcript. It was really simple, had my overall testing average, final exam score, and then a breakdown of clinical hours and totals. One page, simple, to the point, and it worked. It was on official letterhead and had the school's seal on it. The consulate accepted it with no problems. I believe this is one reason they want the official letter from the registrar, in order to verify that the school you are submitting a transcript from actually exists.

rhousewa

Forum Probie
I too was in a hospital based program and did basically the same as WTE. My school is now a Jr College based program and they have an official transcript form that they copied the old microfiche to and it is signed by the program director. I then drafted a notarized letter explaining all this and included all the contact info for the program director. Gaby at Rendezvous Travel said this would suffice and that a lot of people are in this same boat. Get in touch with Gaby and she can help you out. Jeff

muzlblast

Forum Ride Along
I would refer that question to the SRCA Recruiting department...

I was really fortunate that I did not have that many employers (5 total)...I feel very bad for you guys who have to track down 10 years or more of previous employers...what a pain!

WT,

I'm going through that now. I am waiting for the last couple of documents to come andd hopefully sending off my packet sometime next week. Please be sure to give me a call when you get there and stay in touch. It's looking like I am going to be getting there sooner than I thought. Happy New Year and take care!

Yurong

Forum Probie
Paramedic to the Prince

Has anyone read "Paramedic to the Prince" yet? Its sort of an autobiography about an american paramedic (Patrick Notestine) who was in KSA for several years up to 2003. It seems to give a decent insight into what to expect from not only the healthcare system (granted I'm sure it has come a long way since then) but also living as an expatriate there.

Anyway, my process is moving along. I've had good dialog with an SRCA recruiter and have sent off for my transcripts. I've been a medic now for about four years, and an EMT for about 4 years before that, but am waiting to push everything through until I finish my B.S. degree in paramedicine this spring.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Hey guys...Just FYI I have started a blog so I can keep up with everyone once I arrive in KSA. That might be a good place to follow me. I have also posted a comprehensive description of my recruitment process for anyone that may have questions or want to know more...although most of the questions have already been asked and answered here...

Blog is at: http://travisinsaudi.blogspot.com

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Nice blog WTE!!! Wow your only 25, How long have you been a Flight Medic, if you don't mind me asking? Reason being a friends brother who is interested in coming over is only 23 or 24 and is a little sceptical about his experience.

Enjoy the flight to Saudi Arabia. Are you travelling business class?

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Single or family status

Are you guys being recruited on single or family status? Several guys I know from back home are keen to apply however their families are not able to travel for some time. Are they allowing employees families to visit on a vacation basis or will the Red crescent only pay if they relocate? In the hospitals here we are recruited as either single or family status (mostly single) which means families pay their own expenses if they want to visit.

Danbo

Forum Probie
Travis' Blog

Great blog Travis, and it is very similar to my recruitment experience which started 8 July 09.
Dan

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, checkout this web site I found about the cost of living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

http://www.tefl.com/home/col_survey...sion=9fad1961fc581111f947e98b26b81f3d&x=1&y=1

Things are pretty cheap there. I was worried, because in Kuwait a bottle of Coca Cola is $4.00 US. I wonder if they have Coke in a bottle? Nothing tastes better in the heat of the summer then Ice cold, Coke in a glass bottle.

It was my understanding that you are given three round trip tickets per year. So family and friends can visit. And one round trip ticket per year home for yourself. Is this not correct?

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Thanks for the compliments, it is a work in progress...so I am hoping to be able to add much more after I arrive over there of course.

Sweety, I have been certified as a paramedic for 6 years now, and I have one year of flight experience and critical care transport. The other 5 years was spent with a busy metropolitan Fire / EMS system and I also worked about a year and a half in an emergency room.

Has anyone else been asked to submit their high school diploma with their documents? I was just sent a reminder e mail by SRCA HR to bring all of my documents, including my high school diploma, and it needed to be stamped by the Saudi consulate in D.C.

This is kind of a curve ball, since I was not asked to submit it with the rest of my visa paper work, which has already been returned from the consulate, and I am also on a short time table, as my plane is scheduled to leave in 9 days. I was wondering if everyone else was being asked to submit this also, and if not, be aware they may ask you.

As for me, I am not sure what I am going to do, as I no longer have my diploma. It was lost a few years ago. I do have official high school transcripts, but they are not stamped by the consulate, and I do not know if I will be able to get them certified in time....Anyway, I wrote SRCA HR today and asked them to advise me on the situation...

Danbo

Forum Probie
HS Diploma

Travis,
I just got the HS news too. I graduated HS in 1966 in a school that has since been torn down. I am in the process of trying to get the transcripts, but who know how long that will take. I have already had my college degree certified by the consulate so it seems kind of redundant, but they are probably just not aware of how our secondary school system works. Anyway, I appreciate your blog and keeping us informed.
dan

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
My high school says 2-3 weeks for a replacement diploma. This is very frustrating, because had I known this earlier, I obviously would have ordered this long ago and been done with this and not having to accomplish this task 9 days before I depart.

I don't think this is SRCA's fault though. I think they were blind sided by the department of health over there who all of a sudden are requiring all of these documents for some reason...anyway, we will see what happens. I am intending to travel as scheduled, and tell them my diploma is a week or two behind me, and then present them with a transcript. I mean I already have my work visa, so we'll just play it by ear...

50/50 blame... 50% me for not keeping up with my diploma, 50% them for telling me a week before I go that I need a diploma! Insha'Alla.....

Cheers

Danbo

Forum Probie
HS Diploma

Travis,
Your plan sounds good. Fortunately I have a couple of extra weeks than you so I think I can get the transcripts, still doesn't look good for the diploma though. I also have my work visa, so I think I'll follow your plan if I need to and it works out for you. Again, thanks for being a rich resource.

alelkins

Forum Crew Member
More SRCA questions...

Hey Gang...does anyone know if the Certificates of Employment are needed for the entire work history or just the Paramedic pertinent history? Do I need to include EMT Basic level experiences? How does one document a period of self employment or employment with companies that no longer exist? How concurrent employers, for example, working part-time for another ambulance company, or is SRCA just looking for the consecutive timeline?

How about families? Has anyone brought theirs or are in the process? Do they accompany the employee initially or is there a waiting period of some sort?

Sorry for all the questions, and they may have been addressed in previous posts but I did not see them. :unsure:

Thanks!!!

Al

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone asked why they require a High School Diploma? Surely being a graduate of any discipline would be held as a higher award to a high scoool diploma. What if you didn't finish high school and went to college as a mature age student?

If it is for registration with the Saudi Health Commission they may have changed the rules. We didn't need a High School Diploma when we registered last year.

Saudi logic guys....get used to it!!!!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
From what I understand, the high school diploma is a Saudi Health Ministry requirment, not an SRCA requirment, which is why we are finding out about it so late in the process. So I am not really frustrated with the SRCA, it is just another hoop to jump through...Just when I thought the only hoop left for me to jump through was getting through airport security!

As far as documenting employment, you will have to ask the SRCA HR department, if that is who you are getting recruited by. If you are going through Action Aviation, I suppose you would have to ask their recruitment rep. Almost all of my employment experience overlapped, as in I was nearly always working 2 jobs at a time. I just basically documented work experience for the entire duration I have been certified as a paramedic. I did not document any of my EMT-B experience, and I did not have any periods of unemployment or self employment, so I can't help you with any advice on those issues.

As I understand it, your pay is calculated based on years that you have actually worked in whatever discipline you are being employed in. 6 years working as a paramedic, you get paid as a 6 year medic. 10 years as an EMT B and 6 years as a medic, I think you still get paid as a 6 year medic. That being said, the most important employment documentation is letters from where you were employed as a medic, as those are directly related to how much you get paid. If you are unable to prove you have 6 years experience as a medic when you arrive, I have a feeling they might re negotiate your contract and pay you for what you can prove...

Keep in mind these are all educated guesses on my part, and I am making these assumptions based on my experience with the SRCA recruitment department. Individual results may vary...

Also, I posted pics on my blog of the current aircraft I am flying in, if anyone is interested...

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Okay yah... so I'm a bit cynical

I'm currently riding the fence on this one. Ill wait for the first wave to get there, then see how the ACTUAL experiences pan out. Two major concerns that I haven't seen/heard any definitive answers on:

1. passports being "held" by the employer/government
2. not being paid for x amount of weeks after starting work

I don't think that either of the above are acceptable under any circumstances. I'm not handing my passport over to anyone, nor will I be working indefinitely waiting for backpay.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I'm currently riding the fence on this one. Ill wait for the first wave to get there, then see how the ACTUAL experiences pan out. Two major concerns that I haven't seen/heard any definitive answers on:

1. passports being "held" by the employer/government
2. not being paid for x amount of weeks after starting work

I don't think that either of the above are acceptable under any circumstances. I'm not handing my passport over to anyone, nor will I be working indefinitely waiting for backpay.

Hey Alpha,

Your concerns are valid. All I can say is everyone who has handed there passport over for a work visa got it mailed back.

However, once you get over there rumor is they may hold your passport(am I right everyone)

Also I think it takes up to 6 weeks before you get paid, including your bonus?

If your only working 1 day a week like me and have nothing to lose, go for it! If not maybe wait to hear back from us once we are over there haha

Status
Not open for further replies.