"Salary Desired" on application?

HornedFrog3

Forum Ride Along
I keep seeing "salary desired" on applications and don't know what to put. I don't want to price myself out of a job but I don't want to seem content with a below average wage either. Could someone advise me on a safe number to put? (EMT-B)

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you don't know the labor market or your ability to leverage higher pay based on your experience and education, I'd just go with a "negotiable."

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
Well from my perspective, (which I am sure is far different than many others) I would base it on what I would truly be willing to accept for the position. For example, the position I have now pays less than what I could make at another service. However, for me, working a 911 position is worth more than making a couple dollars more an hour at a transfer service...but then I can afford to do that, which may not be the same for someone else.

Base it around your needs... but keep it realistic based on your local market.

W

OP
OP
H

HornedFrog3

Forum Ride Along
Thanks to both of you. I really don't know what the average around Dallas is for a basic. I've heard of people getting anywhere from 8 to 12 per hour. I'll try to research around though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never put anything in that box. When they hire you they are going to tell you what they are going to pay you and like someone said unless you have bargaining chips you're stuck with what they offer. If you don't like it I'd be willing to bet there's 10 people lined up behind you to take what you declined

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe something like "The going rate with an increased differential based on my experience in (list) these areas."

JPINFV

Gadfly
More importantly, this should be a discussion point after being offered a job.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
"Open for discussion" is what I always put

If it is a website application where it forces you to put numbers, I always put a 0

This will not preclude you from having an interview and then you discuss wages when they make an offer.

If you are an EMT or entry level, typical aside from shift differentials, you basically will earn what they tell you....and you either accept or decline.

The employer has you by the balls or the ovaries as there are way more EMTs looking for work than employers looking for EMTs....

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ill leave up for discussion if possible and ask around. Find out about what others are getting with same years of experience in the same company or agency if it all possible.
However discussing salary can be a bit taboo depending on the situation so it helps to know someone in the company or agency