Rude/Nasty Partners

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Before I share some of the people that I had to pull a shift with, I would like to hear your personal horror stories., Just curious if they were just as nasty/nastier than the ones I had.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a partner repeat literally everything that was said to us on the radios. Not nasty or rude, but extremely annoying.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a partner repeat literally everything that was said to us on the radios. Not nasty or rude, but extremely annoying.

isn't that how you're supposed to do it?

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
isn't that how you're supposed to do it?

To dispatch for confirmation? Yes.

To your partner, after he heard the same thing?

Let's put this in an easier way to understand it: have you seen Galaxyquest? My partner was Sigourny Weaver's character. Everybody heard and understood the computer (dispatch), yet the only thing her character (my partner) was good for was repeating what the computer (dispatch) said to us.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I had a self-appointed supervisor.

I was working on my off duty days during active duty firefighting. On duty, since he was a civilian level seven (I was a five doing the seven as mental exercise) he could and once was my crewchief. On the civilan ambulance he tried that, but when I started asking him what to do instead of taking the lead and letting him :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about it, he stopped it and quit thereafter. Incompetent SOB who would sooner have the pt meet us at the curb as go bring them out.
See the mental wounds you've reopened?;)

PS: the guy who was my real and frequent crewchief on rescue/active duty worked with me for a while too, no such problems, only drawback was he SNORED at night.

Medic744

Forum Captain
At the IFT company I worked for I had 4 partners (all male) that brought a whole new meaning to tying to be an Alpha dog.
1. Rough with a coma pt and while I was still nice and explaining things and gentle he yelled at me and once the call was over proceeded to tear me a new one because I was "just a basic" and he was an intermediate. I yelled right back.

2. Thought as a basic he knew everything and was better than I at pt care. We were seperated after I confronted him about stalking me. Thats right he was taking pics and sending them to my bosses of supposed infractions. Driving while texting--too bad you could tell that I was in park, at the station. Staying after my shift to be with my boyfriend who worked the next shift--too bad the day he took a pic of my car next to my bfs truck at the station my BFF had picked me up and we were at the mall and then headed to the beach. Oh yeah and the topper--taking a pic giving a hug to a 911 medic in the parking lot of a hosp and then sitting in their truck for a min. It was raining and the medics in question have been my friends for 10 yrs and the hug was congratulating him on his daughter graduating.

3. There was the national guard reserve who thought he was better suited to deal with a 12 yr old girl with a uterine tumor who was scared to begin with and culturally wary of men. Him I just blew off because he disappeared while I got her info and transfered her to the truck alone. Found out he was whining to the supervisor who told him to get over it.

4. My last partner is really hard to be mad at. He was a conspiracy theorist nut bag and assumed he was always right. There was only one person in the whole company who could work with him. He ranged from doing things like almost getting me stabbed with a pen by a psych patient to leaving me in a hospital with the pt and stretcher because he was ready to go home.

I did learn that once you get a good partner though its awesome. It makes the day go by fast and fun. But if the situation changes then its time to move on.

medic417

The Truth Provider
When I see so many bad partners listed by one person makes me wonder....................................................................

8jimi8

CFRN
not rude or nasty, but

had this other basic that I volunteered with who would count his respirations out loud, like in an outside voice...

1 one thousand!
2 one thousand!
3 one thousand!

and i'm like DUDE, you are throwming my rhythm off, SHUT UP. Dude please count quietly, i'm trying to count compressions...

guy just couldn't stop. lol

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
not rude or nasty, but

had this other basic that I volunteered with who would count his respirations out loud, like in an outside voice...

1 one thousand!
2 one thousand!
3 one thousand!

and i'm like DUDE, you are throwming my rhythm off, SHUT UP. Dude please count quietly, i'm trying to count compressions...

guy just couldn't stop. lol

At a clinical site, I met a basic who would call out the o2 sat every time it changed on the oximeter. "98....99....100!...99..."

I found it very helpful:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic744

Forum Captain
When I see so many bad partners listed by one person makes me wonder....................................................................

Try some people just shouldnt be in patient care or work with other people. My female partners and other male partners and I worked so well together that we regularly got crew of the month awards. Oh and off those 4 only one still works there.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
one of the guys i run with at my PT job has that syndrome known as "paraGod" anyway, he has the habit of yelling and screaming at everyone on calls me and the FD included. then to make matters worse on one call he screamed at me from across the ER cause i didnt request times from dispatch when we got there. oh and then i cant forget that anytime i ask "well should we do this? or do you want me to do that?" i get the response of "WHEN YOU GET THE P BEHIND YOUR NAME YOU CAN MAKE THOSE DECISIONS UNTIL THEN JUST DO WHAT I TELL YOU TO!!!"

firecoins

IFT Puppet

It shouldn't. When you have bad partners you change alot. When you have good ones you stay with them a long time. So I have had more bad partners than good ones yet 95% of my career has been spent with the good ones. Every bad partner I have had has been fired or has a laundry list of complaints about them from everyone else in the company.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
At a clinical site, I met a basic who would call out the o2 sat every time it changed on the oximeter. "98....99....100!...99..."

I found it very helpful:p

Hahahahaha....

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm still pretty new, but my favorite so far is the anorexia fetishist. Whenever I'm on with this guy, he tries to monitor how much I eat and when I go to the bathroom. He's convinced I must have an eating disorder. He's also just arrogant and creepy in general.

Runner-up is the partner who freaks out after bad calls. While she's reliable on scene, I wind up having to calm her down afterwards. It's not helping that she tries to hide it by being really arrogant and sometimes nasty to anyone who sees it.

It shouldn't. When you have bad partners you change alot. When you have good ones you stay with them a long time. So I have had more bad partners than good ones yet 95% of my career has been spent with the good ones. Every bad partner I have had has been fired or has a laundry list of complaints about them from everyone else in the company.

This. Four bad partners really isn't that much... sometimes you get whole stations that seem to be staffed entirely with idiots and psychopaths. Birds of a feather.

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
I guess I'm pretty lucky. Being with only 1 more EMT-B in the middle of no where has it's good points.

I guess there is one guy in our county nobody wants to partner. He is an EMT-I and acts like he is the king of everything. He has gotten into fights with others while on the scene with a chocking pt.

The one thing I hate is when the ambulance shows up and the first question is, "Did you get vitals?"..... No it is 28 degrees outside, a freezing fog and my pt is covered with 4 blankets and shivering from shock and pain. No I didn't get vitals."

They got me that way with another pt that had fallen and I was holding c-spine.:wacko:

Drives me crazy. My partner on that fall was telling me how to fill out the trip report, "Remember to write this, don't forget to name the deputies on scene, name the FF on scene, don't forget that."
About threw the clipboard and walked off.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Worked with one nurse who would berate me in front of hospital staff and ground crews, as well as lie on charts. He's still at that company, I'm not.

OP
OP
njff/emt

njff/emt

Forum Crew Member
Ok, I guess I can share afew I've ran into., Two are EMT's, one is a dispatcher/former EMT., The two techs are in my current company., The one came from the white collar world and is a rookie., This genius wanted me to ride the shoulder goin hot to an emergency in minor traffic on the highway., I simply told him NO because if somebody actually followed the law and pulled to the right I'd plow right into them and I really, really didn't want to explain to the boss about what happened to the rig., Plus he was a backseat driver and didn't trust me., I'm sorry, if you can't trust me then I can't trust you., The other one was another rookie that acted like she was some sort of field supervisor and tried to explain my job to me when I've had a little more experience than her., She was another backseat driver, plus was still abit immature., As for the dispatcher, some days she was decent, other days it was like just saying hi to her ruined her whole day., This is the same one that got pissed at me when two rigs were OOS., It wasn't my fault the owner was cheap and didn't feel like spending the money to get them properly fixed., But that's another thread.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I used to work at Rural/Metro of NJ. There was a small EMS division, and a large transport division. Well, I was per diem, and since everyone started in the transport division, there I was for the first month. after that, I took the test for the EMS division, aced it, and got some shifts in the EMS division.

I kid you not, the people I worked with in the EMS division (at the time) were the most arrogant, :censored::censored::censored::censored: don't stink, most retarded people in the entire company. The supervisors thought they were gods gift to EMS, one talked down about volunteer EMS (which was amazing, since he was the Captain of his volunteer EMS squad), thought they were the best in the nation, and a shining example for R/M corporate. They really weren't.

I did a few shifts in EMS, and after one shift of "running my butt off" by going on 5 calls in a 12 hour shift, where I was bored and spent most of my time on the couch watching a marathon of the Real World (yes, i was that bored that I was watching the Real World on MTV). They said I was busy, my volunteer squad was busier than that. I went back to transport, because I saw my partner's patient care skills directly violate DOH rules, and I couldn't stand people who thought they were the best of the best of the company, when they really were.

I will say, there was ONE parter that I had who treated me like an equal, no attitude, who actually asked for my advice (and listened to what I had to say), and to this day, he is the only person in EMS that I will ride with on any truck, for any agency, not because he was the best clinician, but because he actually treated me with respect, even though he was much more experienced that I was. and he is now a FT paramedic at my part time job, and a PT paramedic at my FT job, and one of paramedics that I respect the most.

mare_liberum

Forum Probie
Generally, I can't complain about partners - I've gotten pretty lucky I think and had two awesome partners. Just great people to work with, and both have become life long friends, for sure.

When my second to last partner left the island, I was paired with a guy from New York. Now, I'm not from the US, so I don't really subscribe to those 'different state stereotypes' - but I suppose you could put him into the 'New York Douche Bag' category.

I'm a girl, and he spend the entire month that he worked with me calling me Jimmy, even though I told him my name every single time. <_<
He was a paramedic, and according to him, EMT-B's "are only good to carry the jump bag".

We had a call one night, where a car hit a lady on a mo-ped on one of the main roads on the island. The lady on the mo-ped, as you can imagine, was pretty beat up. By the time we got there, her face was already bruising up (even though she was wearing a helmet) and she had some neck and back pain. We obviously backboarded and C-collared her, but when I checked her SaO2, she was only at 93%. He then decided that he was going to put in an NPA, since she was conscious and had an intact gag reflex. I pulled him off to the side and just asked him if he had considered that she may have facial injuries. He proceeded to scream and shout at me in-font of the patient, bystanders, and police department saying that I didn't know anything and that he was the Paramedic on the truck and the decision was his. Thankfully he didn't end up putting the NPA in, and the lady recovered just fine. She had a couple fractured vertebrae, so all in all she was pretty lucky.

Thankfully I got placed with another partner and he left the island a couple months later... I feel sorry for whoever is his partner now...

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I used to work with this guy who always drove the ambulance like we were on a priority call. didnt matter if we were on a call, going to lunch, or headed back to the station, the dude drove about 25 over the limit sometimes more. I filed several complaints to my supervisor who would then ask the other EMT about it, who of course denied it, and my supervisor told me to stop exaggerating the problem.... I would have demanded the keys, but i guess possessing a CDL doesn't certify me to drive an ambulance over someone with a standard license (that one hurts my brain). Eventually I threatened him with violence after transporting a Pt with a recent back surgery 20 miles at 80 to 90 mph on rough michigan freeways.... that got me away from him, but he continued to drive until the supervisor saw him drive up and down a road, lights and sirens, looking for the nursing home where a pt was to be delivered...