Riverside Community College (CA) paramedic program 2011...

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Anybody applied to this years program beginning in September recieve their letters in the mail yet? The letter that gives your orientation and prep course information and times?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Anybody applied to this years program beginning in September recieve their letters in the mail yet? The letter that gives your orientation and prep course information and times?

I think mine was in late July, but it's been a few years. Good luck!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What is RCC?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Riverside (CA) Community College.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
RCC is one of the more respected paramedic schools in the area for going above and beyond the minimum required training, maby too far above and beyond. I did not go there but know alot of Great medics that did.

two things that i like is their paramilitary structure with MANDITORY PT, class B uniforms and CLASS A dress uniforms. yea, i kinda like uniforms with some starch. the other being that they make you do 1/2 your internship on a non fire ambulance and 1/2 on a medic engine:wub: so you get exposed to both worlds.

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
I will be a student at RCC this fall.. I had no idea they had a medic program.. How good is it, in comparison to say.. UCLA's medic program?

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
RCC is one of the more respected paramedic schools in the area for going above and beyond the minimum required training, maby too far above and beyond. I did not go there but know alot of Great medics that did.

two things that i like is their paramilitary structure with MANDITORY PT, class B uniforms and CLASS A dress uniforms. yea, i kinda like uniforms with some starch. the other being that they make you do 1/2 your internship on a non fire ambulance and 1/2 on a medic engine:wub: so you get exposed to both worlds.

If they can find an AMR preceptor. I did my ambo time on a CDF box in the desert.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I will be a student at RCC this fall.. I had no idea they had a medic program.. How good is it, in comparison to say.. UCLA's medic program?

I would go to any program outside of LA County. Not because of Freeman specifically, but because LACo EMS is a joke.

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member

Apples and Oranges. Unless you find someone who attended both programs, your answer will be fairly subjective. I'm currently attending Freeman, but there's no way I could compare it to Riverside.

TheyCallMeNasty

Forum Crew Member
Apples and Oranges. Unless you find someone who attended both programs, your answer will be fairly subjective. I'm currently attending Freeman, but there's no way I could compare it to Riverside.

Just curious since I see your going to freeman hows the comp. of getting in the program was it hard?

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Wow. That is pretty ridiculous. How does the manditory PT, uniforms, or paramilitary structure make them a better school? And why do they let you ride on a fire engine? Seems like you should do all your rides on a vehicle that can do 1/2 the job - transport.

Death_By_Sexy

Forum Crew Member
Just curious since I see your going to freeman hows the comp. of getting in the program was it hard?

Definitely. The application process is pretty lengthy. They don't require any real requisites outside of the experience, but applicants graded based on a point system. I had A&P from college, ACLS, and a few other certs under my belt. But other than that, it'll come down to your HOBET and medical score, along with your interview.

The other thing that you can't control that will make it easy or hard to get in is how many local sponsored people the Fire Departments put in. They have first dibs when it comes to the program, but luckily, many of the departments around here have slashed budgets currently, so they're putting less people through. That means more seats are available for privates.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wow. That is pretty ridiculous. How does the manditory PT, uniforms, or paramilitary structure make them a better school? And why do they let you ride on a fire engine? Seems like you should do all your rides on a vehicle that can do 1/2 the job - transport.

Personally I like the PT and uniforms along with the paramilitary structure. It teaches discipline and keeps you in shape. I have been on both sides (fire and EMS) and as far as discipline goes fire has EMS beat in this area by a long shot. Along with discipline is respect, another aspect that alot of people don't have.

In RCC area and my area the fire department beats EMS to the scene the majority of the time. So having a medic student ride with fire gives them the duty of being first on scene. Arriving on scene and already having the patient intubated along with IV access or IO access is alot different then arriving on scene to just the patient with nothing already started.

And it also gives the medic student a view of both sides to help them decide if they want to go the firefighter route or if they want to go the EMS only route.

OP
OP
FoleyArtist

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Has anyone heard what the orientation or prep class will entail for RCC?

heavy A&P review, cardiology, pharmacology, EMT skills, Essay writing, i'm forgetting a few. and business attire only

2 weeks long m-f 8-5

i'm taking it next week if they ever release the class online to register haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant

not ridiculous if it works. I'm finishing up at that program now. PT promotes team building and wakes you up in the morning for skills practice. i enjoyed the PT portion. We train at the Public Safety Training Center with the fire academy and sheriffs academy. they both wear uniforms. so it makes sense that we should as well. it looks professional and disciplined.
We are the #1 school in the state for a reason. I dont know the exact reason, but im sure the paramilitary structure has a major role. RCC has a 94 - 96% first try pass rate on the national registry test. (look it up if are skeptical)
There are 2 sides to paramedics in so cal. Public (fire) and Private (AMR).
The fire engine is first on 95% of the time. When AMR arrives on scene they continue treatment that has already been initiated by fire. We need both sides of the service to be successful. first on, and transporting medic. i am enjoying my engine time, however i will enjoy my time with AMR much more because i like to see the treatment in action and talk with the DR's at the receiving facility.

The prep course begins this monday. it is a time for the instructors to take 2 weeks and learn who you are are what your plans are for when you leave the program with your P card. its alot of fun, to meet your new classmates, form squads, and learn how the academy functions.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant

Are the engines in Denver all BLS? Do any have ALS at all?

JPINFV

Gadfly
There are 2 sides to paramedics in so cal. Public (fire) and Private (AMR).
No. There are two sides to paramedics in Riverside. There's one side to 911 paramedics in Los Angeles county, 1 side to paramedics, period, in Orange County, and multiple sides in San Diego, with the primary private service in the City of San Diego being Rural Metro, not AMR.

The fire engine is first on 95% of the time.
Sounds like they need more ambulances, thus who ever wrote the contract with AMR screwed the pooch.

We need both sides of the service to be successful.
No. Fire department first response is simply an unnecessary duplication of resources.

The prep course begins this monday. it is a time for the instructors to take 2 weeks and learn who you are are what your plans are for when you leave the program with your P card.
...which is none of their business and shouldn't take 2 weeks to accomplish even if it was.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
No. There are two sides to paramedics in Riverside. There's one side to 911 paramedics in Los Angeles county, 1 side to paramedics, period, in Orange County, and multiple sides in San Diego, with the primary private service in the City of San Diego being Rural Metro, not AMR.

Sounds like they need more ambulances, thus who ever wrote the contract with AMR screwed the pooch.

No. Fire department first response is simply an unnecessary duplication of resources.

...which is none of their business and shouldn't take 2 weeks to accomplish even if it was.

WOW! Just because a school isn't doing the way you learned, doesn't mean it's wrong, its just the way we get it done.

LA and OC are too restricted to even begin to use Medic training because a hospital is less than 5 minutes away. They think that all Riverside and ICEMA medics are cowboys and over treat their pt's needs when really they have much better protocols cause the transport time may exceed 30 or 60 minutes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
WOW! Just because a school isn't doing the way you learned, doesn't mean it's wrong, its just the way we get it done.

Learned? I'm using this thing called reason. Besides, the majority of my complaints are about the underlying system design. If I wanted to complain about the school, I'd issue my standard complaint about a school punishing everyone because some people can't figure out how to dress themselves without mommy and daddy around.