Ride Along Today!!!!

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I've got my second ride along today! I'm hoping to have a nice post when I get home from all the exciting calls I go on. More later....

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Good Luck!!! :D

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck!! Hope you get lots of "good calls".

I have my first rotation this weekend....

:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Have fun

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 25 2005, 12:05 PM
Have fun

Jon
Dito

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Well guys, it wasnt all I hoped it would be. Our first call we got dispatched code 3, but it turned out that the nursing home just didnt know how to take a blood pressure. And for the rest of the day we just played GT. Bummer! I have another ride along on Monday with ALS hopefully we get something good.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by CodeSurfer@Feb 28 2005, 01:09 PM
Well guys, it wasnt all I hoped it would be. Our first call we got dispatched code 3, but it turned out that the nursing home just didnt know how to take a blood pressure. And for the rest of the day we just played GT. Bummer! I have another ride along on Monday with ALS hopefully we get something good.
Bummer. Sorry to hear you didn't get the calls you wanted. Hopefully you will on your next ride.

*Keeping fingers crossed* ;)

Summit

Critical Crazy
When I did my clinicals, I was signed up for 1 Level I ED, 1 Level IV ED, 2 clinic days, and 1 ambulance shift. We go ZERO calls on my ambulance day. That sucked.

Next day will be better for ya.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by Summit@Mar 1 2005, 08:40 AM
When I did my clinicals, I was signed up for 1 Level I ED, 1 Level IV ED, 2 clinic days, and 1 ambulance shift. We go ZERO calls on my ambulance day. That sucked.

Next day will be better for ya.
Should have rode with Weld County!! I had 10 calls the first day and 7 the next. Everything from suicide attempts to Man vs train... All in one weekend. But that was awhile ago...

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
OMG!!! You got a man vs train!?!?!? Holy moly!!

My ride alongs start in 2 weeks. I have to finish my ER clinicals first. I can't wait to do the ride alongs. I hope they are good.

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
How many ride alongs do you get with your EMT-B course? Mine only required us to do one, therefore we were only guaranteed one but I am making my own contacts and setting up more for myself to gain more experience while I am waiting for my National Registry papers.

We also only got 1 eight hour clinical in an ED... I feel like I need to see more before I can do this stuff for real.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
For BLS in NY it's 10 hours of ride along from leaving base to dropping the pt at the hospital.

For Critical Care it's 63 clinical hours in various rotations plus 90 hours on the ambulance from leaving base to dropping the pt at the hospital.

Medics, well, we won't even get into that. :unsure:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
In WA it's done by the number of patient contacts you have. For example, during my EMT-IV course, I had to have 10 successful field IV's before I could take the test.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by CodeSurfer@Mar 1 2005, 11:13 AM
How many ride alongs do you get with your EMT-B course? Mine only required us to do one, therefore we were only guaranteed one but I am making my own contacts and setting up more for myself to gain more experience while I am waiting for my National Registry papers.

We also only got 1 eight hour clinical in an ED... I feel like I need to see more before I can do this stuff for real.
In my class ( EMT-B ) we are required to do 24 hours in an ER, and 50+ hours on an ambulance. It works out to approximately 7 clinicals depending on how you schedule them. We are only allowed to do one per week, so that way it doesn't weigh us down due to the amount of studying and homework we have to do.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Okay trying to remeber here. I believe when I did my clinicals for EMT class I had to do 24 hours. And ride time was and option but not required.

Now I think that the Students have to have so many contacts with medical and trauma pts. If you reach the number preset in one day of clinicals then you don't have to go back. They are also allowed to do ride time if one wants.

I know I was luck when I started as a student I was already being scheduled for shifts with the ambulance squad that I was running with. Granted I couldn't do a whole lot most out of my class were allowed to drive but do to the age thing I wasn't so I got to help with a lot of pt. care in the back and was the one sent running for the items that we needed out of the rig.

Have fun and best of luck on your clinicals and ride time.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
EMT-B we had to do 30hrs ER time and 72 hrs Ride time. Medic class we're going to have somewhere around 800 hrs total (both ER & Ride).

Timing it by pt, (time you leave base to dropping off pt) seems like a pain, but I think that's a great idea. I think I did a total of 9 calls on the 3 24hr shifts I rode, I definitly could have used some more experience.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Wingnut@Mar 1 2005, 11:36 PM
EMT-B we had to do 30hrs ER time and 72 hrs Ride time. Medic class we're going to have somewhere around 800 hrs total (both ER & Ride).

WOW.... 800 hours?????

That's on top of full time classes right?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Oh yeah. They told us to bring pictures of our families because that's about as much as we'll be seeing them. :eek:

But it is over a 9 month program..EMT was only 3, so I don't think it'll be THAT bad. It works out to around 2 to 3 more full time classes a week.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Wingnut@Mar 2 2005, 09:22 AM
Oh yeah. They told us to bring pictures of our families because that's about as much as we'll be seeing them. :eek:

But it is over a 9 month program..EMT was only 3, so I don't think it'll be THAT bad. It works out to around 2 to 3 more full time classes a week.
Oh my....what did I get myself into?

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Wow you guys... I'm jealous. Everyone seems to be guaranteed more experience than me. 8 hours each ride along and ED (not only pt contact time counting) Is nothing compared to your standards! I guess it just indicative of how little BLS really gets to do here now.

*moves to BFE*