Reno, NV EMS

PNW

Forum Probie
Hello! I'm currently an emt for AMR in King County (Seattle, WA). In the next 6-12 months I may be relocating to Reno, NV and I was curious about the differences between here and there, and also what the opportunities are for working down there. I've done a little research and I know there isn't an AMR branch that far north, and I've seen a little about REMSA (which I'm also curious about) but I haven't really seen any mention of other private companies. And I'm also unsure of the reciprocity. Just any tidbits of info would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Angel

Paramedic
its just REMSA in reno Robb, Handsome Robb has a lot of posts and information about them. Do a search of just REMSA and I think there's a couple multiple page thread on them.

but just to start you off, I believe they only staff ambulances with AEMTs and Medics. EMTs might be special events/standby only
GL

OP
OP
P

PNW

Forum Probie
its just REMSA in reno Robb, Handsome Robb has a lot of posts and information about them. Do a search of just REMSA and I think there's a couple multiple page thread on them.

but just to start you off, I believe they only staff ambulances with AEMTs and Medics. EMTs might be special events/standby only
GL

Yeah I was thinking about getting my EMT-I but idk where I could even get it around here since it's not in King County protocol to do those extras so no one has it or offers it. But I'll definitely look for his posts thank you! :)

Angel

Paramedic
Im almost certain (been a while since I looked) you could take a class in reno (but where would you work), and if you want to go through medic school they have a school as well. They seem like a very well ran, respected system. Very busy and youll learn a lot.

OP
OP
P

PNW

Forum Probie
Im almost certain (been a while since I looked) you could take a class in reno (but where would you work), and if you want to go through medic school they have a school as well. They seem like a very well ran, respected system. Very busy and youll learn a lot.
Do you know if EMTs can work as techs in the ERs? They just changed a few months ago up here and now you have to have at least a CNA for that. I mean as long as I could find something in the medical field to pay rent I would be okay. And the high call volume is definitely something I look for, we get a ridiculous assortment of stuff up here and I want to continue getting that experience if I can, I'm pretty new to EMS as it is.

Angel

Paramedic
I would have to look it up since I dont know much about NV...
If you want to move to CA i got tons of info ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
REMSA is the only ambulance service in Washoe County except for North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District that covers Incline Village/Crystal Bay, other than that it's all REMSA.

Most of the hospital's want at least EMT-I for techs but many techs are Medics.

REMSA hires EMTs for events but it's not steady work. You could apply as a VST and stock rigs while you went to school. Get your foot in the door that way.

They do EMT/AEMT/Paramedic classes.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
REMSA is the only ambulance service in Washoe County except for North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District that covers Incline Village/Crystal Bay, other than that it's all REMSA.

Most of the hospital's want at least EMT-I for techs but many techs are Medics. I believe one of the smaller hospitals which is a satellite facility of the Trauma Center hires Basics in the ER.

REMSA hires EMTs for events but it's not steady work. You could apply as a VST and stock rigs while you went to school. Get your foot in the door that way.

They do EMT/AEMT/Paramedic classes as well as all sorts of other classes at REMSA.

It's a very busy system, average 8-10 calls in a 12 hour shift. Pay is above average for private EMS services plus not having state taxes helps out. Like Angel said ambulance staffing is I(or A)/P except for one transfer car which is I/I.

Nevada is pretty easy as far as certifications go and it's dirt cheap. All the forms are on the OEMS website.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNW

Forum Probie

Most of the hospital's want at least EMT-I for techs but many techs are Medics. I believe one of the smaller hospitals which is a satellite facility of the Trauma Center hires Basics in the ER.

They do EMT/AEMT/Paramedic classes as well as all sorts of other classes at REMSA.

It's a very busy system, average 8-10 calls in a 12 hour shift. Pay is above average for private EMS services plus not having state taxes helps out. Like Angel said ambulance staffing is I(or A)/P except for one transfer car which is I/I.

Nevada is pretty easy as far as certifications go and it's dirt cheap. All the forms are on the OEMS website.
Thank you so much! That's really helpful. I'd prefer to get my EMT-I while I'm up here but glad to know there's options down there.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yea sorry, TJ is correct. They restock and clean the units. Good way to get your foot in the door and you can also work special events as an EMT. Plus it helps you learn the units and where everything is really well which is a big leg up when you move into the field.

bizzy522

Forum Crew Member
Wow that's nice they stock and clean the units. Do they tag the bags or to the medics do that?

OP
OP
P

PNW

Forum Probie
Yea sorry, TJ is correct. They restock and clean the units. Good way to get your foot in the door and you can also work special events as an EMT. Plus it helps you learn the units and where everything is really well which is a big leg up when you move into the field.
Okay cool, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks so much!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wow that's nice they stock and clean the units. Do they tag the bags or to the medics do that?

Medics are assigned a set of bags when they clear and they are responsible for their own bags. Personally, I won't use a bag that I haven't checked over myself to ensure everything is there since it's my *** on the line if I don't have the equipment and medications I'm supposed to have.

Crews are responsible for garbage and what not then the VSTs vacuum the cab, mop the box, wash the outside and stock the internal and external cabinets.

Last edited:

Grozler

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I was thinking about getting my EMT-I but idk where I could even get it around here since it's not in King County protocol to do those extras so no one has it or offers it. But I'll definitely look for his posts thank you! :)
Contact the Sultan or Gold Bar fire departments. I used to work up that way and they used to combine to offer EMT-I courses. Last one I know of was 2008/2009 before I left but worth a shot and they might know who is currently offering a class.

Reactions: PNW