Reflective material on pants

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I am thinking about putting some silver 3m scotchlite fabric on my pants (my local store does custom modifications) and there's just one problem; I don't know where it should be put. I was thinking around the very bottom pant legs, and on top of the back pockets. Is there any other better place to put it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys, I am thinking about putting some silver 3m scotchlite fabric on my pants (my local store does custom modifications) and there's just one problem; I don't know where it should be put. I was thinking around the very bottom pant legs, and on top of the back pockets. Is there any other better place to put it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No where unless everyone else at your work is doing so:ph34r:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah. Ask the person in charge of your uniforms at your department.

Another German

Forum Probie
Hey spnjsquad. Hope you can open the attached links. These are some trousers used in Germany and Switzerland. It is quite common, to use reflecting material on trousers (and jackets as well). There is a specific norm, who tells how many reflecting material has to be used due to safety protection (especially when working on or along roads).

http://www.nunda.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=103
http://www.nunda.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=404
http://www.nunda.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=498
http://www.nunda.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=110

cprted

Forum Captain
This style of pant is very common for paramedics in Canada.
Img6181_3.preview.png

But to second what the others have said, I'd talk to your supervisor and ask about uniform policy before you start changing things.

I often wear one of these gortex vests. Very visible, lots of pockets.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The ones I've seen have a strip around the cuff of each leg, one on each cargo pocket flap, and one on each back pocket flap. but i agree that you need to get permission before you start messing with your uniforms.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Img6181_3.preview.png

But to second what the others have said, I'd talk to your supervisor and ask about uniform policy before you start changing things.

A lot of places are moving to these.
evane5es.jpg

Drax

Forum Captain
Img6181_3.preview.png

Really like the look for these. Look professional, but are they eye grabbing enough?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Really like the look for these. Look professional, but are they eye grabbing enough?

The shirts also (usually) have the stripe around the sleeve. With a reflective vest they are very visible. My service just switched from those to the ones I posted due to a change in our provinces dot regulations.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant

We wear the vertical stripe here - definitely visible, while at the same time remaining professional looking in appearance.

We are (apparently) changing to the 2 inch band around the legs, as are many other Canadian EMS service, but for the time being, this is the standard in my area.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It is my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that you are wasting your time and money. on many calls, you don't need or want to have reflective stuff on you person.

on those calls that you do, wear your ANSI approved traffic vest, maybe even a jacket that meets ansi specs. in fact, if you are on a federally funded highway, this is all required.

on a routine medical, I don't want or need any reflective stuff. On those calls that I want to be seen, I have no problems grabbing my reflective outerwear or donning my agency issued turnout gear, which has reflective material on the arms and lets.

but that's just my opinion, and i'm sure others will disagree.

Anjel

Forum Angel
My pants have it under the cargo pocket flap. So on a call if you wanna be shiny you just flip your flaps.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
It is my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that you are wasting your time and money. on many calls, you don't need or want to have reflective stuff on you person.

on those calls that you do, wear your ANSI approved traffic vest, maybe even a jacket that meets ansi specs. in fact, if you are on a federally funded highway, this is all required.

on a routine medical, I don't want or need any reflective stuff. On those calls that I want to be seen, I have no problems grabbing my reflective outerwear or donning my agency issued turnout gear, which has reflective material on the arms and lets.

Yep. We've got extrication gear that is a large, yellow coat with reflective striping, and pants with stripes. We also have separate reflective traffic vests (so we don't HAVE to wear extrication gear on a traffic scene unless it's really necessary). No need for reflective striping of any kind on our regular pants.

ValleyEMT

Forum Ride Along
I would honestly go with a vest as well. Or have the flip flaps. You may end up being made fun of if you are the only one doing it...

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger

Seconded.

Your agency should provide vests with reflective material and the junk on the pants looks tacky.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I recently ordered a pair of Elbeco Tek3 pants and discovered that the cargo flaps have scotch-lite on the interior. Other than that, we have reflective vests/coats.