Rectal D50

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
I am new here, and have been active in another ems forum. Recently a question was posted about the use of Glucagon in the hypoglycemic patient that you can not get IV access for. The question was about what you should do next, if glucagon doesnt work ?

I was shocked to realize that most new medics did not know that D50 can be given orally (but soda is better -- a 12oz coke has 39 gms of sugar versus 25 gms in D50), and that D50 can be given rectally via an ETT tube.

Thought I would share the info in case some in this forum were not aware.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Some first responders thought that oral gucose could be given IV (and V in this case does not mean venous) :blink:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
some first responders thought that oral gucose could be given iv (and v in this case does not mean venous) :blink:

tmi!!!!!!!!!

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, I have given it rectal. I did not use an ETT, I use a foot long piece of O2 tubing. It is smaller, slide up easy and the connector fits the syringe good.

medic_charli

Forum Ride Along
Yup - knew that - have used d50 via iv, oral, and rectal. Kinda like the honey bear theory. Or a large sized tootsie roll. We can get pretty ingenious.

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
Those are all great ideas and wow musta been interestingtimes. To bad my protocols don't specify those as routes for my d50

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Although going past the rectal vault is the best method it is doubtful that most EMS units carry proper tubing to do such, as well remembering one has to administer 50ml of fluid which is equivalent to an enema. I give it blunt (without tubing) personally, don't care to cause a rectal tear or lacerated bowel. Yes, it works and can be given, just expect other results as well.

In regards to the stool it will loosen and dissolve it and again as mentioned above.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

sweet and sour enema anybody?

Corky

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Yeah i have done rectal once and it was on a longer transport....bad idea, I bet the guy felt relieved and a little dirty at the same time. anyways you can and some do but i would go oral first, and airway is much easier and more pleasant to watch than the other way.:rolleyes:

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
Our medical director doesnt encourage us to administer anything rectally. We have even went to versed intra-nasal in seizures vs using diazpam rectally.

reaper

Working Bum
Glucogon will not work if their peripheral circulatory system is shut down.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Isn't Dextrose caustic to tissues? Wouldn't that cause some sort of damage to the rectum?
Probably not. It is caustic internally because of the concentration level and being colloid. Remember, mucosa membrane also has aciditic secretions as well.

Our medical director doesnt encourage us to administer anything rectally. We have even went to versed intra-nasal in seizures vs using diazpam rectally.

Versed is a much better medication as it actually ceases the seizure activity itself; Valium only relaxes the muscles and truly does not stop the seizure. Diastat is Valium specifically made for rectal insertion. A syringe type device that has a long tube on the end and has a gel type medication.

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
Glucagon is a hormone that acts on the liver to break down glycogen into glucose and release said glucose into the blood stream (side note: muscle cells also have a stock pile of glycogen, but can't release it. Glycogen is broken down into glucose-6 phosphate and the muscle cells lack the enzyme needed to change G-6P into glucose). If the injected glucagon doesn't reach the liver because there isn't enough bloodflow, then it won't have an effect.