Recert options

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I apologize if I'm :deadhorse: here. I did a search as well and didn't find the answer. Looking on the NREMT.org site, in order to recert as a medic, one needs to:

1. Be actively working somewhere, or if it's the first recert, have worked 6 months then be eligible to be placed on inactive status.

2. Be checked off by the medical director as to skills competency.

3. Demonstrate cognitive competency by...

And that's where my question comes in. There's the 72 hours of CME with the guidelines stated on the site option or if one chooses the recert by test option, are they exempt from all CME then??

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long post.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
I was on the NREMT site today and this was on my page under
Recertification by Examination
Recertification by Examination Applications are no longer being accepted.

So I am guessing that for at least the short term, there is no recertification by exam which would eliminate that option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was on the NREMT site today and this was on my page under
Recertification by Examination
Recertification by Examination Applications are no longer being accepted.

So I am guessing that for at least the short term, there is no recertification by exam which would eliminate that option.

or that one will only be able to take the examination when it comes time to re certify.
There would be no reason to take the test at this time. Re-cert time, opens up around September to April. NREMT even sends a letter of reminder to you in the late summer, so There is NO excuses to be late!

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
or that one will only be able to take the examination when it comes time to re certify.
There would be no reason to take the test at this time. Re-cert time, opens up around September to April. NREMT even sends a letter of reminder to you in the late summer, so There is NO excuses to be late!

R/r 911

Surely you are not implying that because someone procrastinates that it is their fault and not NR's fault when they fail to get re-certified in time?:p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I apologize if I'm :deadhorse: here. I did a search as well and didn't find the answer. Looking on the NREMT.org site, in order to recert as a medic, one needs to:

1. Be actively working somewhere, or if it's the first recert, have worked 6 months then be eligible to be placed on inactive status.

2. Be checked off by the medical director as to skills competency.

3. Demonstrate cognitive competency by...

And that's where my question comes in. There's the 72 hours of CME with the guidelines stated on the site option or if one chooses the recert by test option, are they exempt from all CME then??

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long post.

One can recert by retaking the whole test, but still have to have ACLS, CPR & Medical Director signature of competence. The retest only removes the CEU's (24 for Paramedic, 36 for Intermediates, 48 for Basics) and the refresher portion that is required. If one notices the hours are the same for all levels. Rather the proportion is changed.

Be sure to check with your State though. Not all States will allow such even if they are a NREMT state. They may still require CEU's.

NREMT is currently changing their re-registration program and within the next few years will be done online.

Further questions, discuss with your State Education Coordinator and of course NREMT.

R/r 911

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
One can recert by retaking the whole test, but still have to have ACLS, CPR & Medical Director signature of competence. The retest only removes the CEU's (24 for Paramedic, 36 for Intermediates, 48 for Basics) and the refresher portion that is required. If one notices the hours are the same for all levels. Rather the proportion is changed.

Be sure to check with your State though. Not all States will allow such even if they are a NREMT state. They may still require CEU's.

NREMT is currently changing their re-registration program and within the next few years will be done online.

Further questions, discuss with your State Education Coordinator and of course NREMT.

R/r 911

Danke schoen ^_^

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief

R/r 911

Add another point to Rid's score. Just got my letter reminding me to re-certify.

Option 1: Exam

"Take the examination between October 1, 2009 and March 15, 2010 (One attempt ONLY)."

And of course all the other stuff like paperwork, ACLS, etc.