Random CPR question: Shirt on/off?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Random CPR question: If you're doing CPR outside of the EMS role, do you remove / cut the person's shirt?

tricam

Forum Ride Along
Yes. I would. I'd like to know that I have a proper hand placement. Plus it's easier to see chest rise during rescure breathing.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yes.

But wait, are you just randomly doing CPR on people? Are they okay with this? B)

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Good Question Chimpie....Maybe we should all try it once....

Picture it...walk up to some random guy (or girl...whatever your preferecne)....

"Sir, do you mind if I practice my CPR on you? You know mouth to mouth and all that?"

Hmmm....Maybe that should be my new pick up line.......

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
oh and for the record....shirt off.

Cant see my landmark if his/her shirt is still on.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Jan 14 2005, 06:59 PM
oh and for the record....shirt off.

Cant see my landmark if his/her shirt is still on.
Amen....Especially if it is a nice-looking female. :lol: :lol: :lol:

and random trivial of the day - the trauma shears were invented to cut underwire bras, as bandage shears would not cut the metal.

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Shirt off is what I always teach in my CPR classes. I remind the class that a patient who's clinically dead isn't going to be worried about their modesty, and that its the best way to ensure proper hand placement. Also, when EMS arrives, its one of the first thing they're going to do, so might as well save that extra couple seconds.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Shirt is off - difficult to work around it. And no, dead people have lost their modesty.

Amen....Especially if it is a nice-looking female.

and random trivial of the day - the trauma shears were invented to cut underwire bras, as bandage shears would not cut the metal.

Like I said - she is dead.....a nice looking dead female.
I find this statement very disturbing.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Firechic@Jan 15 2005, 08:20 PM
Shirt is off - difficult to work around it. And no, dead people have lost their modesty.

Amen....Especially if it is a nice-looking female.   

Me, too.

I agree with the shirt off, but don't see a need to remove a bra unless using an AED or defibrillator.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Yes, dead, but for most males, preferably a pulse. :blink: She should have a pulse, atleast if you're doing it right. (CPR, get your minds out of the gutter)

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Need to get them naked, or at least partly naked... everyone should be naked... all the time... to save us time... yes thats it to save us time... :lol: ooops I think I said that out loud... :eek:

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jan 14 2005, 09:25 PM

Jon
Dead chicks... so sexy? :eek:

Get her while she's warm! :blink:

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
I forget, was this the patients shirt, your partners shirt, or your own shirt you cut off?

Im so confused.

Steve

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit+Jan 16 2005, 11:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Summit @ Jan 16 2005, 11:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Jan 14 2005, 09:25 PM

Jon
Dead chicks... so sexy? :eek:

Get her while she's warm! :blink: [/b][/quote]
what can I say - it was a loooong day

and I'm ALWAYS disturbing something - the peace, my partner , or just plain being disturbed.

Jon

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Originally posted by croaker260@Jan 16 2005, 07:14 PM
I forget, was this the patients shirt, your partners shirt, or your own shirt you cut off?

Im so confused.

Steve
I hope not your partner's shirt. I only work with males. :angry:

Maybe my dispatchers... :unsure:

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jan 15 2005, 09:44 PM
I agree with the shirt off, but don't see a need to remove a bra unless using an AED or defibrillator.
Actually, I disagree, for a couple of reasons. First off, (how to say this modestly) a bra's purpose is to support the breasts in a more upright fashion, which can interfere with hand placement. Second, the potential for an underwire (which may not be readily noticable) not only poses an injury risk to the patient, it also poses an injury risk to the person performing CPR (yes, I have seen underwires come loose, and they can be sharp). Third, when the AED/defib arrives, you have to take the time then to remove the bra anyway, so why not remove it from the start.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
as was said b4... The shirt is coming off anyway. why not take it in the first place? Also a button down shirt would interfere with feeling landmarks. So would you leave that on?