Question regarding the definition of "practice" and company licensure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmonclimber

Forum Ride Along
As of right now, I am in sort of a sticky situation. I have spent several hours searching the web with little to no luck on this topic so I figured why not ask the question directly. Anyway, I recently became nationally certified through NREMT. I have applied for Arizona state licensure and currently my application is pending. In the mean-time, I have been offered a position working at an electrical company as their "on sight emt". They want me to start tomorrow. As I do not have my state licensure this presents a problem in my head. (No state license = no practicing in the state) However, this is NOT a company licensed to provide EMS services to the general public. The job description states that I would be going around checking employees in the field for signs and symptoms of dehydration and making the decision to call an ambulance in case of an emergency. The official job title is "EMT/Laborer" However it seems that I will not be providing any actual EMS. Just observing for signs and symptoms of dehydration and making a choice to make a phone call. With no orders from a medical director and WITHOUT performing any of the actual duties of an EMT (ie:administering o2, oral glucose, splinting etc.) would I be breaking the law and could I have my ability to obtain licensure revoked due to the name and nature of this job position?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
You are asking for legal advice which we can't provide. But if they are not asking you to perform actual EMS related duties but instead call for help if it looks like it's needed. I don't think that you are truly working as an EMT. But that's one persons opinion.

OP
OP
L

lemmonclimber

Forum Ride Along
You are asking for legal advice which we can't provide. But if they are not asking you to perform actual EMS related duties but instead call for help if it looks like it's needed. I don't think that you are truly working as an EMT. But that's one persons opinion.
I am sorry for the nature of the question and I do realize now looking back that it was more of a legal question but thank you very much for taking the time to write a response.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't take a job titled EMT if you are not properly certified.

This. You are just asking for trouble if something goes wrong. Even if you have your license, find out who your medical director would be.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A lawyer would be better suited to answer this kinda question. Those are in short supply here, so the thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.