Question about protocol for someone with a wound in their backside

silentm999

Forum Ride Along
Im a writer, and need to clarify this for accuracy. If someone were shot in their left glute, would they be placed onto the gurney laying on their side opposite of the wound, or placed on their belly? Would they be strapped in in any way? Right now I have it where he is strapped in on his side, but is placed on his belly in the hospital. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've never transported a patient laying face down, because it makes it too difficult to monitor the patient and provide interventions like O2 if needed.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, we generally avoid face down as much as possible, now a patient laying on their side? That's fine.

They'd be strapped in like normal. Nowadays there's 5 belts, a waist belt, one over the legs, and a chest belt, that in recent years it's become standard to have shoulder straps as well
1630602974944.png

Now at the hospital, they may be taken in for surgery as soon as they arrive, so either afterwards in recovery, or even in the ER while waiting, there's not someone babysitting them every moment and if they decide to roll over onto their stomach, no one is really going to stop them

OP
OP
S

silentm999

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, we generally avoid face down as much as possible, now a patient laying on their side? That's fine.

They'd be strapped in like normal. Nowadays there's 5 belts, a waist belt, one over the legs, and a chest belt, that in recent years it's become standard to have shoulder straps as well
View attachment 5358

Now at the hospital, they may be taken in for surgery as soon as they arrive, so either afterwards in recovery, or even in the ER while waiting, there's not someone babysitting them every moment and if they decide to roll over onto their stomach, no one is really going to stop them
Thanks so much! One more question: Could someone take their arms out of those straps in the photo fairly quickly? I wrote a part where an EMT slips on the ice as theyre loading him in, and the foot end of the gurney hits the ground, then it falls over. He tries to catch himself but his hands slide out from under him on the ice.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Thanks so much! One more question: Could someone take their arms out of those straps in the photo fairly quickly? I wrote a part where an EMT slips on the ice as theyre loading him in, and the foot end of the gurney hits the ground, then it falls over. He tries to catch himself but his hands slide out from under him on the ice.
That’s very plausible. In fact their arms aren’t usually strapped down like in the photo. That would primarily be when they are unconscious and you are strapping the arms down just to contain them.

pregnancywhine

Forum Crew Member
That’s very plausible. In fact their arms aren’t usually strapped down like in the photo. That would primarily be when they are unconscious and you are strapping the arms down just to contain them.
Never have I heard someone being strapped on the arms conscious. It is always better not to.

OP
OP
S

silentm999

Forum Ride Along
One more question: Could someone take their arms out of those straps in the photo fairly quickly? I wrote a part where an EMT slips on the ice as theyre loading him in, and the foot end of the gurney hits the ground, then it falls over. He tries to catch himself but his hands slide out from under him on the ice.
...and thanks so much for the help!
Much appreciated!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Never have I heard someone being strapped on the arms conscious. It is always better not to.
Only time I've heard of it is when the patient was in custody and restrained with cuffs or soft restraints.