question about medical id bracelets?

Artemis108

Forum Ride Along
Hi there
I'm not an EMT but I have a question relating to EMS.
I recently got diagnosed with epilepsy. I just had my third grand mal seizure while I was in class, and of course everyone freaked out and called 911. Of course I don't blame them, but It was a huge unnecessary waste of money. I woke up in the ambulance, spent a few minutes in the hospital, and went home.

For this reason and among others I've decided to start wearing a medical bracelet. I heard that if EMS finds out you're an epileptic, and your seizure stops they wont make you go to the hospital. Is that true? I'll wear it on my left wrist because I heard thats where they look for a pulse to its more likely to be found. Is that true? I've also been told that my convulsions usually dont last long. I act drunk before and after the seizure and then I'm usually unconscious for about 10 minutes, so If someone found me in that state they'd be unlikely to know what was wrong with me. It would also be beneficial if I went into a life threatening status seizure, so everyone would see what my medical issues are and would be able to help me faster.

I want to keep my bracelet basic and small. I don't want it to be bulky and I want the writing to be large and legible. The website I was looking at has the option of ordering one to be engraved on the front and back. I figured I'd engrave "Epilepsy" on the front and "See wallet" on the back of the pendant. I have multiple medical issues and my wallet card lists my seizure symptoms, allergies, emergency contacts, and medications, and I always carry it in my back pocket. But I was wondering if the EMTs would bother to turn the pendant over and read the back or look for my wallet card. They might not know there's anything on the back and women don't usually carry wallets in their pockets. Do EMTs usually look at the back of the pendant? Do you think that my information will be easy to find or should I put more info on the bracelet?

Sorry this is long. I guess I just have a lot of questions on the issue and I just want my bracelet to be a useful investment if I'm going to spend money on a nice one.

Thanks

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

I recently got diagnosed with epilepsy. I just had my third grand mal seizure while I was in class, and of course everyone freaked out and called 911.
If you're a student in college or below, I would suggest getting a 504 plan. That will often dictate what to do in case of a medically-related incident in school.
I heard that if EMS finds out you're an epileptic, and your seizure stops they wont make you go to the hospital. Is that true?
I would imagine that wearing a medical alert bracelet has little impact on whether or not you'll be transported. EMS tends to look at the whole picture, and most often follow local protocols and procedures.

I'll wear it on my left wrist because I heard thats where they look for a pulse to its more likely to be found. Is that true?

Wearing it on either wrist is fine.

Do EMTs usually look at the back of the pendant? Do you think that my information will be easy to find or should I put more info on the bracelet?

It depends. I wouldn't count on it.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Being a female, you have a lot of options in bracelets, they have very pretty ones out there. It would also benefit to tell your instructors and a few trusted classmates and ask them not to call unless it goes on for such and such amount of time.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A laminated card kept next to your ID would also be good backup, listing your meds and MD's phone etc. I have mine I typed up and printed at home on my computer, then laminated with packing tape.

I wear a pair of dogtags (real steel ones), one has my name and contact info, Dx and allergies; the other has my name and my meds. Cheap, so they can be readily changed as meds etc change. And my cat loves to come if I jangle them. They do make some noise and aren't really feminine, but not concerns of mine.

Jus don't get a tattoo, ok?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
The attendant will be on your left during transport, so the band would best be worn there for that reason. Hopefully they'll find it before transport, but you never know...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The attendant will be on your left during transport, so the band would best be worn there for that reason. Hopefully they'll find it before transport, but you never know...

That's not true. I sit on my patients' right hand side in the ambulance. That's where all my stuff is, on that side of the ambulance.

Put the medic alert bracelet on your wrist, whichever is more comfortable, make sure it's noticeable, don't wear a bunch of other bracelets because I promise you we will miss it. The medic alert should be the only thing on that wrist.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A laminated card kept next to your ID would also be good backup, listing your meds and MD's phone etc. I have mine I typed up and printed at home on my computer, then laminated with packing tape.

I wear a pair of dogtags (real steel ones), one has my name and contact info, Dx and allergies; the other has my name and my meds. Cheap, so they can be readily changed as meds etc change. And my cat loves to come if I jangle them. They do make some noise and aren't really feminine, but not concerns of mine.

Jus don't get a tattoo, ok?

I'd look at a tattoo before I looked at dog tags.

Just me though.

We have a lot of vets. Most all the dog tags I've seen are for their fallen brothers. Not themselves.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi there
I'm not an EMT but I have a question relating to EMS.
I recently got diagnosed with epilepsy. I just had my third grand mal seizure while I was in class, and of course everyone freaked out and called 911. Of course I don't blame them, but It was a huge unnecessary waste of money. I woke up in the ambulance, spent a few minutes in the hospital, and went home.

For this reason and among others I've decided to start wearing a medical bracelet. I heard that if EMS finds out you're an epileptic, and your seizure stops they wont make you go to the hospital. Is that true? I'll wear it on my left wrist because I heard thats where they look for a pulse to its more likely to be found. Is that true? I've also been told that my convulsions usually dont last long. I act drunk before and after the seizure and then I'm usually unconscious for about 10 minutes, so If someone found me in that state they'd be unlikely to know what was wrong with me. It would also be beneficial if I went into a life threatening status seizure, so everyone would see what my medical issues are and would be able to help me faster.

I want to keep my bracelet basic and small. I don't want it to be bulky and I want the writing to be large and legible. The website I was looking at has the option of ordering one to be engraved on the front and back. I figured I'd engrave "Epilepsy" on the front and "See wallet" on the back of the pendant. I have multiple medical issues and my wallet card lists my seizure symptoms, allergies, emergency contacts, and medications, and I always carry it in my back pocket. But I was wondering if the EMTs would bother to turn the pendant over and read the back or look for my wallet card. They might not know there's anything on the back and women don't usually carry wallets in their pockets. Do EMTs usually look at the back of the pendant? Do you think that my information will be easy to find or should I put more info on the bracelet?

Sorry this is long. I guess I just have a lot of questions on the issue and I just want my bracelet to be a useful investment if I'm going to spend money on a nice one.

Thanks

If you were recently diagnosed I am presuming they are looking to work with medications to get it under control. This takes some time.

Do you have whats called a "aura" which is a specific sensation or feeling that you can tell if you going to experience a seizure?

911 crews will look at the big picture a lot of times if I arrive on scene to a patient with a history of seizures If they are postictal I consider transport. if you are awake alert and oriented capable of making decisions with normal vital signs including Blood glucose, I will probably allow a sign off. Most people with a history of epilepsy or a seizure disorder experience them from being non complaint with medications or in your case are still finding the correct dosages of medications and working with your Primary Care Physician its understandable. If you present with symptoms or signs of a life threatening emergency its more considerable to take the transport.

As far as a medical bracelet, or necklace or some sort of jewelry you choose to wear its not too specific of where to look. I don't always grab the left hand when checking for a pulse. And I tend to look at both wrists/neck for any kind of jewelry that would identify medical hx. Tattoos are becoming popular too, but that would be your choice

For the most part the EMS treatment for seizures is pretty straightforward, Assess, protect airway if need be, and utilize benzo's if needed (Ativan,valium) to break a seizure. Usually the hospital ED will monitor you for a little while and release if all checks out ok.

I myself like Mycrofft have dog tags, I'm former military too so I just got used to them. If you google Medical alert jewelry you'll find plenty of sites that offer fashionable jewelry but don't make it too oblivious or it may be overlooked. Like if you get a charm necklace or a bracelet make sure the medical alert symbol (star of life with snake and staff) is visible or it may be overlooked as general pretty yourself up jewelry.

mycrofft

That's not true. I sit on my patients' right hand side in the ambulance. That's where all my stuff is, on that side of the ambulance.

What, an Aussie ambo?:rofl:

mycrofft

I'd look at a tattoo before I looked at dog tags.

Just me though.

We have a lot of vets. Most all the dog tags I've seen are for their fallen brothers. Not themselves.

Tattoos get bleary with time and cannot be changed.

I'll remember that about the dog tags maybe being ignored. Dang. But I still have my wallet card.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Tattoos get bleary with time and cannot be changed.

I'll remember that about the dog tags maybe being ignored. Dang. But I still have my wallet card.
Wallet card is actually a great idea. We always checked the wallet for ID (and later insurance).

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I work as a basic in New Jersey. I also prefer sitting on the right side, or the CPR seat as commonly called around these parts. All basic medical supplies and assessment tools are on that side. Also, when ALS is aboard, they generally take the bench seat for their bags and/or monitor.

mycrofft

We're confusing "right" with "right".

How about STARBOARD and PORT (facing foreword, right and left).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
When I'm talking about right or left I'm talking about the patient's right or left. So using port and starboard I sit on the port side (driver's side) of the ambulance when in the back.

What, an Aussie ambo?:rofl:

No a type III EVG box. I sit in the CPR chair so I have access to my meds, IV and airway stuff without having to move. Well have to stand up for meds and airway but that's because I have short arms. If I'm not there I'm in the airway chair. Fire or third riders get the bench, bag hangs on the hook that I can secure closed at the end of the bench that's made for the hanging flat then the monitor gets buckled in on the bench seat too so I can see it unless I'm in the airway chair then I can just reposition it on the bench or hang it on the spot for it at he back of the gurney. Airway bag goes behind the airway chair between it and the wall below the pass through window so it can't go flying. IV caddy is secured to the counter to the left of the CPR chair under my BLS and ALS airway cabinets. Syringes with meds drawn go on the counter to the right if the CPR chair with labels and in order from right to left from the chair in the order they're going in. IV start kit supplies go there as well when I'm setting up to start a line. No tape hangs in my ambulance, leaves stickiness everywhere.

Potentially may be looking into a new job then I'd have even more room in the back of a medium duty international :lol:

I'm very particular about the back of my ambulance.

The wallet card is money, I always instruct patients to leave them behind their ID like you do. Easiest way to clearly relay detailed information. Can fold up an 8x11 sheet of paper and it fits fine.

As far as tattoos not being able to be changed and getting blurry. You're right about them being changed and blurring can happen but with the advancements in technology in tattooing lately they don't blue like the old school ones did. Still do but not nearly as bad. Seen more than a few 10+ year old detailed and complex tattoos that looked really really good still without any touching up.

You can always add stuff, cross stuff out. As far as tattoos go that's more of a condition thing than meds such as "epileptic" or "type I/II DM". That in combination with a wallet card with meds is great plus it helps ID the problem first. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Wallet card: can hinge it to the driver's license with the laminating tape so when you pull out the license the card comes out too.

They have talked about using subcutaneous RFID chips, bonding a microfiche on the back of a premolar (!!!), and a USB like a dog tag.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
When I'm talking about right or left I'm talking about the patient's right or left. So using port and starboard I sit on the port side (driver's side) of the ambulance when in the back.

No a type III EVG box. I sit in the CPR chair so I have access to my meds, IV and airway stuff without having to move. Well have to stand up for meds and airway but that's because I have short arms. If I'm not there I'm in the airway chair. Fire or third riders get the bench, bag hangs on the hook that I can secure closed at the end of the bench that's made for the hanging flat then the monitor gets buckled in on the bench seat too so I can see it unless I'm in the airway chair then I can just reposition it on the bench or hang it on the spot for it at he back of the gurney. Airway bag goes behind the airway chair between it and the wall below the pass through window so it can't go flying. IV caddy is secured to the counter to the left of the CPR chair under my BLS and ALS airway cabinets. Syringes with meds drawn go on the counter to the right if the CPR chair with labels and in order from right to left from the chair in the order they're going in. IV start kit supplies go there as well when I'm setting up to start a line. No tape hangs in my ambulance, leaves stickiness everywhere.

Potentially may be looking into a new job then I'd have even more room in the back of a medium duty international :lol:

The wallet card is money, I always instruct patients to leave them behind their ID like you do. Easiest way to clearly relay detailed information. Can fold up an 8x11 sheet of paper and it fits fine.

As far as tattoos not being able to be changed and getting blurry. You're right about them being changed and blurring can happen but with the advancements in technology in tattooing lately they don't blue like the old school ones did. Still do but not nearly as bad. Seen more than a few 10+ year old detailed and complex tattoos that looked really really good still without any touching up.

You can always add stuff, cross stuff out. As far as tattoos go that's more of a condition thing than meds such as "epileptic" or "type I/II DM". That in combination with a wallet card with meds is great plus it helps ID the problem first. Just my opinion though.

I'm perfectly fine with a tattoo that describes a medical condition but it has to be clear and legible, I've seem some Complex tattoo's that make things complicated vs. clear and concise of "hey Im a diabetic, epileptic, etc."

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief

Sometimes, I feel like there can be too much room in an International. Plus they're very rough. It doesn't make that much difference to me, but I know lots of people here don't like them.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If I have a patient who has an AMS or ALOC and I notice they have a medical ID wristband, that is going to be one of the very first things I look at.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
My sister (epileptic) has her "ICE" on her iphone lock screen..

screen568x568.jpeg

I'm a cell phone snooper with AMS patients..