Problem w/lifting =(

Sera

Forum Probie
Alright so we're now on the moving/lifting part of my course...
I'm having some..uhh.. difficulties lifting the stretcher up from the ground. Our test is this friday.. we have to be able to lift the stretcher and a 180+ person and transport them into the ambulance. I would consider myself a pretty fit person.. i train regularly with weights (lightweights) at the gym and do cardio everyday...sometimes twice a day.. so I don't need to work on that.
If anyone has any tips for me when it comes to the squatting part.. it would be VERY much appreciated. I know that all of it is lifting with your legs and being in time with your partner.. but it's still tough :( The majority of the girls in my class are.. err bigger.. does that matter?

I guess I am feeling a bit discouraged.. once I get out in the field how am I going to be able to lift a 250+ person? This is still the only 2nd day that we are learning this.. do you think with practise that I will eventually get it?

Also just out of curiousity.. have any of you or anyone that you know ever suffer from a back injury? I guess part of this is i psych myself out even before I start to lift.. i just *really* don't one to be one of those people who end up having a back problem their entire life.. .=/

What do you do when you get an obese person?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I had a partner that struggled lifting a 180 lb pt, so we called for a lift assist. I've known many people that have struggled to lift patients, so we'll ask for help from a facility if we're there, or we'll call for a lift assist. Life assists are fairly common in private EMS, and usually public agencies send the FD along or have an extra set of hands available to help with a lift.

As far as back injuries, I think it comes with the job. It's hard for me to resist lifting with my back sometimes, especially if we're going up/down stairs with a patient.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I have a back injury, but it wasn't from a straight lift - it was from someone else tripping and everyone else (myself included) trying not to drop the stretcher w/patient down a flight of stairs. The only thing I could have done to prevent it would have been to let go... and I couldn't do that. Straight lifts are easier, but there are other hazards out there - but don't let it stop you from becoming a good provider - just practice, practice, practice to become more comfortable and confident.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
We call for lift assist if we feel we need it. We use to run regularly with 3 people and the police officer is usually on scene to help lift. Other wise that is why we got a fire department. Every once in a while we call them to help us out.

As for back injuries. I *knock on wood* haven't had one yet. But there have been others that have suffered back injuries.

Remember lift with your legs not your back.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have worked with many female partners, several of whom were slim, tiny, petite(yes they do exist in EMS--not an urban legend). Anyways, what we used to do was I would take the head of the stretcher as much as possible as that is where the bulk of the weight is and you have to lift higher. On the other end, however, you have to have enough strength to lift and work the handle. The best way to handle this is lift in steps. Go part way with the stretcher, stop, readjust and then go the rest of the way. Do not try to lift all in one movement. Eventually, your strength will build up and it shouldnt be a problem. Try not to always rely on your partner to do all of the heavy lifting. It is not fair to them as they run a higher risk of injury if they constantly do all the heavy stuff trying to pick up your slack while you tip toe through the tulips. Hit the gym and work on upperbody strength as these muscles are needed for lifting the stretcher into the back of the rig since when standing straight and lifting with your legs your height will typically limit you from being able to slide it on into the rig..you are going to need some upper muscles to lift that final few inches to clear the rear.

The other option is to call for lift assist. Utilize the fire department or other ambulances. I once worked for a company that always asked the estiomated weight of the patient after they took all the pertinent 911 info. If the pt was 300 lbs or close to it, they automatically dispatched a second unit or called the FD. They did a cost analysis that justifies the expense of sending 2 rigs to every heavy call or when requested was cheaper than one back injury. I would agree.

No matter what you do, just work out, stay toned and healthy and utilize lift assists. Do not EVER attempt to lift something that you are iffy about just to prove you can or to try and show the guys you can pull your own weight. DO not be scared to ask your partner to call for one either. He will probably thank you silently as we are too macho to admit we need help and were probably secretly wanting to call anyways, so just do it...lol.

Good luck to you!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Remember, always follow proper lifting techniques! It may sound cheesy, but it's for your own safety. :)

OP
OP
Sera

Sera

Forum Probie
thanks for all the tips guys! this forum is helping me out heaps =)

we did our lift *practice* test today.. had to carry the stretcher with a 165lbs up and down a flight of stairs.. i did struggle a bit but i did it.. hardest part was going down the stairs (i kept feeling like i was going to drop the stretcher)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
They made you go up and down stairs with a stretcher??? Who the fuk does that??? That is crazy. That is very unsafe and a stupid assessment. Sorry it is not practical. Real world you use a stairchair or kitcken chair or a 2 man carry. If I ever saw anyone attempt to bring a stretcher up a set of stairs they would be halted immediately. Sorry for the rant but what are your instructors thinking....that is just never done!!

Whay good are you if you break an ankle or throw your back out, especially on a moronic assessment like that....

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
AK,

Have you ever taken a stretcher up the three stairs leading from the ground to the house? If that's what they were thinking, I understand it because we do it all of the time.

However, if it's a full flight of stairs that's just ridiculous and dangerous.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I can understand 2 or 3 steps...( a stoop) however she said a "flight of stairs"...so yes that concerns me.

I am a bit of a safety geek, guess it comes with doing this EMS thing too long, as I do not wish to end my career over something silly that could be easily prevented...I have been known to utilize a stair chair even for those 3 steps. Yes, it is a hassle and one extra step, however I don't run the risk of tipping the stretcher, injuring the patient or myself.

Regardless, stay safe and always think about your planned course of action and utilize ANY tools or techniques that will keep you safe...

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm having some..uhh.. difficulties lifting the stretcher up from the ground. Our test is this friday.. we have to be able to lift the stretcher and a 180+ person and transport them into the ambulance. I would consider myself a pretty fit person.. i train regularly with weights (lightweights) at the gym and do cardio everyday...sometimes twice a day.. so I don't need to work on that.
If anyone has any tips for me when it comes to the squatting part.. it would be VERY much appreciated. I know that all of it is lifting with your legs and being in time with your partner.. but it's still tough :( The majority of the girls in my class are.. err bigger.. does that matter?

I guess I am feeling a bit discouraged.. once I get out in the field how am I going to be able to lift a 250+ person? This is still the only 2nd day that we are learning this.. do you think with practise that I will eventually get i

Also just out of curiousity.. have any of you or anyone that you know ever suffer from a back injury? I guess part of this is i psych myself out even before I start to lift.. i just *really* don't one to be one of those people who end up having a back problem their entire life.. .=/

The straight up answer is if you're an ems provider, you better get used to having back problems. Even people who use proper lifting technique have back problems. If you're "psyching" yourself out over a routine 180lb stretcher lift, maybe this isn't the right profession for you. Lifting and moving people is a huge part of our job and can make the difference between life and death. It's like being a professional boxer and refusing to let anyone punch you. This is why our profession is so difficult. One minute, you have to be intellectually bright enough to differentiate left bundle branch block from ventricular hypertrophy on the 12-Lead ECG and the next minute you have to be strong enough to carry a 280lb dying person to the ambulance. Not all people possess a combination of these qualities.

When I'm working EMS in the city, the fire department doesn't help us with lift assist except if they're already on scene or we have a really special case (beached whale on the third floor). Therefore, when an EMS unit calls for a lift assist, they dispatch another EMS unit. You want to see me lose my cool? Then watch me show up on scene of a lift assist to find two little girls having trouble lifting a 220lb man. If you can't do the job, then do us all a favor and go home! Don't expect me to come and lift double that day to save your back!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I can see taking an ambulance strecher up 3 or 4 steps, but not a whole flight. If I had someone that I had to move in a supine position, I'd use a reeves, a scoop or a backboard, depending on their Hx and MOI... Remeber that a Reeves is a "flexible STRECHER" and I've seen scoops that were labeled as "Folding STRECHER" - so they may have been usung one of them, not the ambulance cot.

I have no problem with running a lift assist for a crew where someone is having a "bad day" or their back trouble is flaring up... Once in a BLUE MOON - it is OK. If I'm having always to be the ONLY person who can lift the strecher into the ambulance, or pulling on a draw-sheet transfer...
then I've got a BIG problem with someone who can't do the job. I've worked with a few 'partners' like that... I tell my bosses that I'm not going to hurt MYSELF, so they need to put someone who can lift with me.

Around here, we prefer to have a second crew come help, rather than call for the FD... We have crews and a supervisor on station, the Vollies have to wait for members to respond to staff a rig.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Also just out of curiousity.. have any of you or anyone that you know ever suffer from a back injury?

yeah, trying to code a 6'4' 300 lb male down a spiral staircase on a BB @ 3 a.m.

why can't these people have the good grace to code at the front door?

~S~

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
why can't these people have the good grace to code at the front door?
I completely agree with you on this. The nerve of them! :p

JimH

Forum Probie
Lifting

yeah, trying to code a 6'4' 300 lb male down a spiral staircase on a BB @ 3 a.m.

Been there several times, I never once injured myself lifting or carrying a patient-
The time I did injure my back was cleaning out a supply cabinet- I was bending down, counting C-collars, and then went on break.
After break, my back was spasming, and I could not straighten up. Next morning, I had a hard time getting out of bed.
Lifting patients is not the only time you are able to injure your back- when you lift a patient you are ready for it.
This was about 12 years ago, and if I am not careful, I am prone to reinjury in the same place.
BTW, Robaxin, Darvocet, and Indocin are wonderful things at a time like that-

REMSI Medic 10

Forum Probie

I guess I am feeling a bit discouraged.. once I get out in the field how am I going to be able to lift a 250+ person? This is still the only 2nd day that we are learning this.. do you think with practise that I will eventually get it?

If I was you, I would lift from the feet side, that way your partner gets the "heavy" end. Sometimes if the patient is heavy, I'll be all slick like and be at the feet end of the stretcher that way my partner gets the heavy end.

REMSI Medic 10

Forum Probie
The straight up answer is if you're an ems provider, you better get used to having back problems. Even people who use proper lifting technique have back problems. If you're "psyching" yourself out over a routine 180lb stretcher lift, maybe this isn't the right profession for you. Lifting and moving people is a huge part of our job and can make the difference between life and death. It's like being a professional boxer and refusing to let anyone punch you. This is why our profession is so difficult. One minute, you have to be intellectually bright enough to differentiate left bundle branch block from ventricular hypertrophy on the 12-Lead ECG and the next minute you have to be strong enough to carry a 280lb dying person to the ambulance. Not all people possess a combination of these qualities.

When I'm working EMS in the city, the fire department doesn't help us with lift assist except if they're already on scene or we have a really special case (beached whale on the third floor). Therefore, when an EMS unit calls for a lift assist, they dispatch another EMS unit. You want to see me lose my cool? Then watch me show up on scene of a lift assist to find two little girls having trouble lifting a 220lb man. If you can't do the job, then do us all a favor and go home! Don't expect me to come and lift double that day to save your back!

she's just a little nervous man. I'm not gonna lie, I was a lil nervous on my first stretcher lift and move because I was scared that I would screw up

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I am blessed with very strong legs. I spent much of my youth with my feet as my main transportation. Remember to keep the weight in close to your body and to align your back like you are keeping c-spine on it.

I have injured my back, in my 20's doing a twisting, lifting motion on a construction site because the guys were trying to teach me a lesson about whether or not girls should be doing the job I had.

One back injury doesn't always mean chronic back pain or chronic back weakness. You can recover from it. I do a lot of yoga which keeps me limber (though I'm old). That and being smart about how I lift.

I've reached a level on the seniority ladder now where I have nothing to prove to anyone and will always stand aside to let the young backs or the he-men take the stretcher if they offer. But I also never shirk my duty to care for my pt. EMS requires lifting. Learn to do it right and safely.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I've never understood why the services/classes/etc in this area (atleast the 4 I've observed) taught proper stretcher mechanics. Hell in my class it was GREAT, I feel I got the best education you could for a Basic EMT, but we never learned stretcher ops, we did a good job on lifts, just skimped on the stretcher.

I HAVE carried a patient up a flight of stairs, obese, and not on a stair chair. Pt was very large and barely would have fit on the stair chair, on top of that the staircase was too thin to allow the pt and a person on either side to help support the side. So we put them on a backboard, double straps and 4 pointed all the way up. It actually ended up working well, would NEVER take the stretcher up a flight though, that's just dumb.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
What is the requirement for passing. Do two people have to lift a stretcher with a 180lb person on it? I know I can't curl 180lbs. But I can squat around 400.