PRN Ambulance Info

Star of Life

Forum Probie
Prn was chill. I just left due to not wanting to drive so far to get to work. I had no complaints about them. Get hired part time if you can, it makes scheduling way more flexible. They dont do any 911 btw. Mostly kaiser, cedars, northridge, pih, centinela, lancaster.

Ivy33

Forum Ride Along
Going to a interview with PRN. Anyone recently hired What do they ask, what thay test on. What should I wear for the interview

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
Going to a interview with PRN. Anyone recently hired What do they ask, what thay test on. What should I wear for the interview
Howdy. I was there for 4 years and just recently resigned. So the hiring process much like the rest of the company for that matter is changing. PRN is no longer privately owned. It was bought out by a hedge fund that also operates Pro-Transport in the Bay area. From my the completely redid the entire hiring process and training. Come dressed to impress but know that they have been hiring like crazy. With in the past 1-2 years the new owners have pumped in big money and last i saw was getting to switch out there old vanbulance to sprinters with LifePak12's. Just be prepared for your typical NREMT questions and basic customer service ones too.

For anyone else interested in going PRN here is the run down. Before the buy out it was a decent company good calls thanks to their contract w/ KP. Fellow employees were awesome too. Sure you had your alpha males and burn outs but the shear number of awesome people outnumbered them. In the past year however things have completely changed. Dispatching is almost completely digital meaning that your set up is no more pagers your get the latest samsung galaxy with dispatching app that is also linked up tot the tablets you use. There program for the epcr's are a mess. No report can be closed out until minimum of 500 words and all boxes are filled out most of which are non-EMS related. Pagers and actual radio usage are a thing of the pass. The smart phone is the portable dispatch center and actual interaction stays at a minimum. The dispatching program estimates how long a call will take and will automatically dispatch another call before the first one finishes. This means crews get ran. Most of the original crews have moved on and turn over is at its highest. They say they promote but for the most part management is brought on from other companies. Everything is micromanaged and can be stressful if a serious matter should arise. Morale was very low and every month new policies make it easier for them to can you. I have no grudge or axe to grind but the environment the new owners brought was ripe with discontent. Before you where able to talk to people face to face and help build that trust and resolve matters in traditional way. Now most people you have to contact are up in Northern Ca.

Calls very the majority of which are from Kaiser. They are back up for Compton and Downey but who isn't lol. For the most part they bounce those calls because it doesn't generate money. Wait and returns are common and every now and then dialysis calls go out too. Rigs are getting switched out to spinters which depends on youre pref. Pay is hit or miss depends how good you present yourself. If you work a shift after 1900 you get 12-18 dollar bonus as a shift differential. Raises are a joke. Highest raise i heard of in 4 years was 33 cents. They are expanding and are opening up 2 new stations and finally officially may the announcement that they will be running bls and als in OC. With bowers being consumed by AMR. PRN is one of the smaller companies running in la county compared to AMR and FALCK. Good place to get experience but due to the changes taking place staying they longer might be tough. The only reason i resigned was they changed their part time policy. Before as long as work any 2 shifts in a month you kept your job. starting this year you had to work minimum 2 shifts a week which i can't do at this time. You could apply to Bowers most applicants are getting placed their till all the slots are full. They also just unionized which is plus depending on where you stand. That is actually where im going to be applying once i take my recert. Hope this helps.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I would do Bowers over PRN any day! Why deal with a company everyones jumping ship from and especially when they have a character working high up for them that doesn't have the best track record?

ordunez43

Forum Ride Along
Howdy. I was there for 4 years and just recently resigned. So the hiring process much like the rest of the company for that matter is changing. PRN is no longer privately owned. It was bought out by a hedge fund that also operates Pro-Transport in the Bay area. From my the completely redid the entire hiring process and training. Come dressed to impress but know that they have been hiring like crazy. With in the past 1-2 years the new owners have pumped in big money and last i saw was getting to switch out there old vanbulance to sprinters with LifePak12's. Just be prepared for your typical NREMT questions and basic customer service ones too.

For anyone else interested in going PRN here is the run down. Before the buy out it was a decent company good calls thanks to their contract w/ KP. Fellow employees were awesome too. Sure you had your alpha males and burn outs but the shear number of awesome people outnumbered them. In the past year however things have completely changed. Dispatching is almost completely digital meaning that your set up is no more pagers your get the latest samsung galaxy with dispatching app that is also linked up tot the tablets you use. There program for the epcr's are a mess. No report can be closed out until minimum of 500 words and all boxes are filled out most of which are non-EMS related. Pagers and actual radio usage are a thing of the pass. The smart phone is the portable dispatch center and actual interaction stays at a minimum. The dispatching program estimates how long a call will take and will automatically dispatch another call before the first one finishes. This means crews get ran. Most of the original crews have moved on and turn over is at its highest. They say they promote but for the most part management is brought on from other companies. Everything is micromanaged and can be stressful if a serious matter should arise. Morale was very low and every month new policies make it easier for them to can you. I have no grudge or axe to grind but the environment the new owners brought was ripe with discontent. Before you where able to talk to people face to face and help build that trust and resolve matters in traditional way. Now most people you have to contact are up in Northern Ca.

Calls very the majority of which are from Kaiser. They are back up for Compton and Downey but who isn't lol. For the most part they bounce those calls because it doesn't generate money. Wait and returns are common and every now and then dialysis calls go out too. Rigs are getting switched out to spinters which depends on youre pref. Pay is hit or miss depends how good you present yourself. If you work a shift after 1900 you get 12-18 dollar bonus as a shift differential. Raises are a joke. Highest raise i heard of in 4 years was 33 cents. They are expanding and are opening up 2 new stations and finally officially may the announcement that they will be running bls and als in OC. With bowers being consumed by AMR. PRN is one of the smaller companies running in la county compared to AMR and FALCK. Good place to get experience but due to the changes taking place staying they longer might be tough. The only reason i resigned was they changed their part time policy. Before as long as work any 2 shifts in a month you kept your job. starting this year you had to work minimum 2 shifts a week which i can't do at this time. You could apply to Bowers most applicants are getting placed their till all the slots are full. They also just unionized which is plus depending on where you stand. That is actually where im going to be applying once i take my recert. Hope this helps.
Right now they are having a up to $5,000 sign-on bonus. What does that mean? What do you need to get the full bonus or what is the criteria? Thank you!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Have you tried calling and asking them. They are the best source for an answer to that question.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Right now they are having a up to $5,000 sign-on bonus. What does that mean? What do you need to get the full bonus or what is the criteria? Thank you!
They give you a sign on bonus after 1 year and you have to meet other qualifications like be on time, not call out sick, stick with employment past 1 year full time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

trell959

Forum Probie
i have always considered PRN as a good company in LA County....i have personally never worked there, but just from hearing other past employees experiences it seemed like a good place.
It's a pretty good place to work. A lot has changed over the last half year, but it's not bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked at PRN for 3 days. Never looked back.

I have friends who work there and say it's not terrible. Meanwhile I'm in Kern County having a blast.

trell959

Forum Probie
I worked at PRN for 3 days. Never looked back.

I have friends who work there and say it's not terrible. Meanwhile I'm in Kern County having a blast.

I wish. I'd have to commute back and forth, and I hear they don't like commuters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
12s, he stays here when he's working and goes home on his days off.

Not the life for me, but he likes it.
That's what I was thinking of doing when I applied to Hall way back when I was still working at PRN Ambulance

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hall is by far superior to everything in LA county. There are plenty who commute in.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: NPO