Privacy and EMS

steveshurtleff

Forum Crew Member
I am nearing completion of EMT-B training, and one particular thought keeps running through my head.

I've never been one to want attention, or be in the spotlight. I'm not at all interested in fame, and for the most part, I'm content to just watch the world go by. I've already been through one entire career which I burned out on, EMS training alone is a major lifestyle change for me.

So this question is for those who have been out in the field for a while.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to do well, but wants to avoid being noticed as much as possible?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The worst fame you'll experience is when a coworker spots your butt on the local evening news and then you owe everyone ice cream. My advice is to not become a firefighter because fires are more interesting than ems to the local media and they have their last names on their bunker coats, making them much more vulnerable to committing ice cream offenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

steveshurtleff

Forum Crew Member
The worst fame you'll experience is when a coworker spots your butt on the local evening news and then you owe everyone ice cream. My advice is to not become a firefighter because fires are more interesting than ems to the local media and they have their last names on their bunker coats, making them much more vulnerable to committing ice cream offenses.

Good to know, got a chuckle out of that. Odd as it may sound, it's fortunate that there's no way I could survive FF training at this point, that will help keep the grocery bill down.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Invisibility

What advice do you have for someone who wants to do well, but wants to avoid being noticed as much as possible?

Keep your mouth shut unless you want to learn something. Really Listen, although that in itself may draw attention to you because so few do! Answer only if you've lived the experience.

Other than that; Take the lights and sirens off your personal vehicle. You really don't need that Star of Life sewn on your back pocket, and kill the adult mask hanging from your keychain. No, you don't need a protective barrier on your mouth when you kiss an intimate and there's no need to distribute "Call Me First!" phone stickers to your friends and neighbors.

There will come the day when you'll look at your LifePak and wonder, "Why didn't I just stick with fixing machines?"

Best of luck; you know what you're doing!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

My butt has quite literally been pointed at by Tom Brokaw on national TV. LOL

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
My butt has quite literally been pointed at by Tom Brokaw on national TV. LOL

WOW! That is like... a creme brulee and champagne offense!

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
WOW! That is like... a creme brulee and champagne offense!

I used to have a screen capture of it that served as my original Facebook profile picture. I'll see if I can find it and will post it.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Good to know, got a chuckle out of that. Odd as it may sound, it's fortunate that there's no way I could survive FF training at this point, that will help keep the grocery bill down.

What are ya talking about? My Fire Academy graduation is tomorrow morning and I am 50 years old. Never too late to chase your dream if you want it bad enough :)

OP
OP
S

steveshurtleff

Forum Crew Member
What are ya talking about? My Fire Academy graduation is tomorrow morning and I am 50 years old. Never too late to chase your dream if you want it bad enough :)

Seriously, congratulations! I have no doubts that there are others also older than I am who could do it, I just don't think I could make it. Besides, frankly, I don't want to be a firefighter.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Seriously, congratulations! I have no doubts that there are others also older than I am who could do it, I just don't think I could make it. Besides, frankly, I don't want to be a firefighter.

The point is, don't let age or physical limitations stop you from doing something you want to do. There are always detours around roadblocks. Most importantly, you should do something that makes you happy, when it just becomes a job, it is time for change.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the congrats :)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
You are in danger of everyone you work with knowing your business hahaha.

Are you referring to me? I never say anything here that I would be ashamed of. Therefore, if what I say is recognized by someone I know, I feel confident that the respect I have earned from my colleagues will remain intact.

In other words, I speak to people here just as I would if it were face to face. This is one of my rules and has served me well.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Personally, I just focus on doing the job. I've had to do that job in front of 40-70,000 people... I don't care. My job is taking care of one. People see the uniform and that's all they "really" see. People I live with or work with? Those people are the ones that will recognize me. So what if I end up owing them some ice cream? I just do what I have to, where I have to, and in front of however many people happen to be in the area.

Outside of that, there's very little chance of achieving fame. I don't seek out fame or notoriety. If it happens, fine. Think of this: would we have known about Captain Sullenberger if that airplane landed safely on a runway? He didn't seek the fame he got... he did his job and fame found him.

OP
OP
S

steveshurtleff

Forum Crew Member
I was talking to steve... It was meant as a joke EMS overall is a gossipy bunch.

Well...that part of it seems to be inevitable, coworkers either find ways to learn about you or they just make stuff up, LOL. Hmm...maybe I should find a way to wear a hooded black cloak and carry a large scythe once I get on a rig, that would tend to discourage that, LOL.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Well...that part of it seems to be inevitable, coworkers either find ways to learn about you or they just make stuff up, LOL. Hmm...maybe I should find a way to wear a hooded black cloak and carry a large scythe once I get on a rig, that would tend to discourage that, LOL.
don't count on it lol....

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

There's a 54 yo guy in my class right now...he's hanging right in there. I'm training hard because I just realized the kids aren't going to be out of the house till I'm nearly 50, and I want that to be my strongest decade.

My privacy in EMS looks awesome compared to living in a small town and homeschooling "too many kids." Yesterday I got out by myself, and the lady at the counter of our fried chicken place said, "Hey, aren't you the one with all those kids? "

Yeah. Real original. Hmph.

Privacy is what you make it. No matter how many people might recognize you from your time on the ambulance, you still don't have to be *that guy* with striping on his POV, and every item of clothing in the wardrobe with a star of life on it.

I do like my son's hat collection. He's so stinkin' cute in a hat that advertises his dad's airpacks.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cover your tats, heal your piercings, leave your gun and knife at home.

Be civil, and listen up. You will not be noticed as much.
Oh, and do a good job, but don't drive.