Princess Cruises?

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the information; it sounds like a great travel experience. Is the internet good enough to take classes on, when underway?

I have a friend who works on another cruise line, and she is able to do online classes as well as use facebook etc. I gather the internet is decent enough. Maybe not streaming video quality :)

Expat2013

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Good to know, I will pass this on to my friend as she is looking into this line of work.

I have a friend who works on another cruise line, and she is able to do online classes as well as use facebook etc. I gather the internet is decent enough. Maybe not streaming video quality :)

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
Waiting

Well I submitted my résumé and waiting a reply.... Fingers crossed!!!

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
I submitted in November, heard nothing. I re-submitted last week. Hope to get an interview.

Yea, I submitted last week.

Haven't heard anything. I think I remember reading in this thread that some people were getting a received email from Princess, but I never got anything.

I keep reading my resume wondering if I need to alter it..

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
Does anyone that currently works there have any type of tips or tricks? Maybe even a phone number to follow up? Thanks in advance.

TacMedic

Forum Probie
No word

I submitted a resume in November and heard nothing and I re-submitted about two weeks ago. I'm still waiting as well.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

TacMedic

Forum Probie
Princess Hiring ???

Well, I recently received an email "read receipt" for an email sent months ago. Perhaps they are really really back logged.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I'm long over do for an update. Been on for about 3.5 months and we're in port today, so I'll try and hammer out some things. PM me with questions, I just cleared out my pm box.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I jumped on the Golden Princess Nov 27th. She's currently doing the endless loop of Hawai'i: leaving LA, stopping by Hilo, Honolulu, Lihue, Lahaina, Ensanada, then back to LA. Your demographics are primarily USA with a mix of UK and Canada filling up 95% of the people. Every cruise is different. My first had a gastroenteritis outbreak, then next few where a constant battle with Influenza A. It is a six bed ER complete with Xray, minor surgical, and lab capabilities. Currently, people tend to give us a major medical issue the first or second day at sea. I think we've had about two MIs, a host of random infections, a few idiopathic seizures (and they always happen while they're either standing by or in the pool), and a seizure that turned out to be having an MI.

You swap your rig, MRX, airway and RX bags out for a 12kg FR bag and a wheelchair. You’ll get to know all the knooks and crannies in the ship, and everybody just calls you ‘doc’. You’re more visible than most of the medical team because of your FR responsibilities. There are bi-monthly ACLS related drills that involve the whole medical team, security, accommodations, and the bridge. Once a cruise there’s the general MICD/fire drill and they take all of it seriously. Since there are only 6-7 seven of us with medical training, the crew become your hands and you do a lot of delegating.

One thing I've noticed, we, as Americans, don't work outside our borders much. The only other Americans you’ll meet on ships are the guest entertainers. And, it makes sense: there's so much of our country to pick from that we don't need to travel. I must admit I was pissed when I ended up on the Hawaii loop, but my next contract is taking me to Europe in the summer.

Now, every ship is different. We’ve had a FB group up to discuss things and some medics have it worse than others. It depends on your medical team and senior physician, depends on the Captain’s standing orders. For example, I can go anywhere I want on the ship because I’m an officer (to eat, socialize, etc.). However, another ship’s standing orders allows only two strip and above to do that. But we’re not consistent either. Our current senior nurse was pleasantly surprised on his first day to find me mixing Ceftriaxone to set up a drip for the doc. Apparently, his last ship had paramedics that were unwilling to expand on their FR responsibilities. But then there are ships where the medics have been moved from room to room as the system hasn’t adjusted to having two of us (since we replace one nurse).

I can’t say about hiring and expansion. It’s a big project to set this all up, and I figure shoreside is busy just keeping pace. I’m sure part of it is the turnover. Its hard to get people to stay when we can just go home and go back to our old jobs without missing a beat.

TacMedic

Forum Probie
jaysonsd, great insight, and I certianly appreciate these updates. Not sure on some of your abbreviations, but I get the idea. I hope to get an opportunity to interview again. I've heard nothing from the company since submitting my resume now twice, once back in November and a repeat submittal in February, as suggested by someone else. I certain I'd be a long-term employee (contract renewing) since I'm eligible to retire at a young age in my current police/paramedic shore career and don't have anything keeping me at my midwest home. So, in the meantime, I certainly appreciate the updates of your experience and hope to hear from PCL soon.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
This was a great update. This is literally the most information I've found on this job yet. HUGE thanks to you jayson.

Having never heard back from Princess, I committed to my job full-time and got promoted, and also started a business that is already taking off (thankfully). I'm not sure I'm still interested in the PCL job, but I'll keep it in my mind.

I'd like to do at least 1 contract just for the experience. Also, I'd like to be called "Doc".

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
Fingers crossed!

Well I had a 20 min phone conversation with a recruiter yesterday. Hoping that today I will be able to move on to the next step soon!!! I believe the next step is a Skype interview! Fingers crossed!!!

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Well I had a 20 min phone conversation with a recruiter yesterday. Hoping that today I will be able to move on to the next step soon!!! I believe the next step is a Skype interview! Fingers crossed!!!

I also got a call from them yesterday :)

I'm going to talk with them and find out more details. I'm not sure if I will end up jumping on it, but it cant hurt to find out more!

noodlemedic

Forum Ride Along
I also received a call yesterday. 2nd time around here. Didn't make it past the Skype interview. Thanks to those who have provided information and your experience thus far.