Prehospital Cardiac Save at the pre-Inagural Event

gcfd_rez31

Forum Probie
I know that we've already had quite a few people put their stories in, but while reading everybody's responses I thought I would throw mine in too.

I started off in a Sports Medicine class as a sophomore in high school and instead of getting an extra credit for wrapping sweaty football players' feet in the training room, I did the right paperwork & phone calls to get riding with a private ambulance company in my area.

They taught me alot of what I know today. One of the EMTs that first welcome'd me into the station and into EMS itself, taught me about O2 (nasal cannula), how many liters for NC & NR, let me practice BPs on him, everything that I thought was so cool and only saw on TV.

I was so thankful that they took me in under their wings and gave me a year and a half of wonderful training. I was always in there... After school, weekends, you name it. I brought extra food down on Thanksgiving to some of the guys at the station, knowing they wouldn't be able to be with their families and felt for them. I feel like I had a whole other family!

So I give 110% prop's to the teens out there who put their knowledge and quick actions to save a life. Some teens would scream, run around in circles screaming, and forget the numbers, 9-1-1. I am probably only saying this because I got into the EMS field early, but I guess I wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't! :p

Just want to say thank you to all of the agencies and hospitals that take in the younger teens who are mature enough to work in the field and who are willing to start early on their career. And good job for all of "us" out there that started early in the first place. To knowing what you want to do in early high school.

I can't count how many times I have gotten the compliment "I can't believe you know what you want to go into [career wise] in 10th grade! I wish I knew what I wanted to do that early!"

CONGRATS OP!!! :D

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I know that we've already had quite a few people put their stories in, but while reading everybody's responses I thought I would throw mine in too.

I started off in a Sports Medicine class as a sophomore in high school and instead of getting an extra credit for wrapping sweaty football players' feet in the training room, I did the right paperwork & phone calls to get riding with a private ambulance company in my area.

They taught me alot of what I know today. One of the EMTs that first welcome'd me into the station and into EMS itself, taught me about O2 (nasal cannula), how many liters for NC & NR, let me practice BPs on him, everything that I thought was so cool and only saw on TV.

I was so thankful that they took me in under their wings and gave me a year and a half of wonderful training. I was always in there... After school, weekends, you name it. I brought extra food down on Thanksgiving to some of the guys at the station, knowing they wouldn't be able to be with their families and felt for them. I feel like I had a whole other family!

So I give 110% prop's to the teens out there who put their knowledge and quick actions to save a life. Some teens would scream, run around in circles screaming, and forget the numbers, 9-1-1. I am probably only saying this because I got into the EMS field early, but I guess I wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't! :p

Just want to say thank you to all of the agencies and hospitals that take in the younger teens who are mature enough to work in the field and who are willing to start early on their career. And good job for all of "us" out there that started early in the first place. To knowing what you want to do in early high school.

I can't count how many times I have gotten the compliment "I can't believe you know what you want to go into [career wise] in 10th grade! I wish I knew what I wanted to do that early!"

CONGRATS OP!!! :D
Self congratulation and warm/ fuzzy smiles (like this one ":p") still do not make a factual argument for exposing youth to these circumstances.

Trust me on this one: Be a kid.
You will regret it deeply in the future.

gcfd_rez31

Forum Probie
Self congratulation and warm/ fuzzy smiles (like this one ":p") still do not make a factual argument for exposing youth to these circumstances.

Trust me on this one: Be a kid.
You will regret it deeply in the future.

I have heard "be a kid" alot.
Just because I started training early & know what I want my future to hold doesn't mean I was never a kid.
I have had plenty of fun with my friends and family outside of EMS.
I will not "deeply regret it." Believe me.
This is what I have wanted to do my entire life!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
To the "Be a kid" statement:

I apologize that I decided to spend my late teenage years educating myself and going after a career that I truly want. I am sorry I did not spend my money on 200 dollar jeans at the mall, and wonder it aimlessly. I am sorry I was not obsessed with the Backstreet Boys or Brittney Spears. I am sorry that I did go and party and get drunk or doped up as half my school did on a regular basis. I am sorry I stayed ahead on my education and followed my passions and my interests. I am sorry that I joined a crew team and learned the importance of teamwork as no other job, event, or activity can ever demonstrate. I am sorry I became interested in fire fighting and joined my local fire explorer group. I am sorry I have witnessed MVA's, DOA's, suicide attempts, and the other medical emergencies that have impacted me mentally and emotionally. I am sorry that the choices I made in my life have allowed me to become a better person and find and affirm the career that I truly want and am actively moving towards. And finally I am sorry that I did not live my child hood to your expectations, that I wanted to better myself and pursue a career... that happens to be in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
To the "Be a kid" statement:

I apologize that I decided to spend my late teenage years educating myself and going after a career that I truly want. I am sorry I did not spend my money on 200 dollar jeans at the mall, and wonder it aimlessly. I am sorry I was not obsessed with the Backstreet Boys or Brittney Spears. I am sorry that I did go and party and get drunk or doped up as half my school did on a regular basis. I am sorry I stayed ahead on my education and followed my passions and my interests. I am sorry that I joined a crew team and learned the importance of teamwork as no other job, event, or activity can ever demonstrate. I am sorry I became interested in fire fighting and joined my local fire explorer group. I am sorry I have witnessed MVA's, DOA's, suicide attempts, and the other medical emergencies that have impacted me mentally and emotionally. I am sorry that the choices I made in my life have allowed me to become a better person and find and affirm the career that I truly want and am actively moving towards. And finally I am sorry that I did not live my child hood to your expectations, that I wanted to better myself and pursue a career... that happens to be in EMS.

Let me let you in on a little secret. This does not really have to apply to you but its a general summation of my thoughts.

I speak from experience. I volunteered all four years of high school at a medical clinic. A lot of my spare time was spent there. I saw some cool things, became more mature, learned a lot, etc.

I also lost out on a whole lot. My advice to students wanting to go into EMS: Go to football games, study for your regular old high school classes, get involved in athletics, go out with friends, date, focus on having fun. I would never ever do it all the same if I could. I would completely forget about medicine and just relax/live life.

Why would you ever want to get a head start on working? You are going to be working for the rest of your life! You are going to learn all those things you learned volunteering all over again with everyone else who do not know a stethoscope from a reflex hammer, and, no one will give you a drop of credit because you already knew the different types of insulin from volunteering. I may have learned a bunch of cool bits, but you will never learn to put it together so its all useless anyways. But you will never have a chance to do High School over again.

Stop worrying about EMS. Even if you have a life in high school, you still should not be involved in it in any other capacity other than shadowing them for a day or two on a career week. Enjoy the last years of your life when you do not have to think about work.

EMS will never love you back. It will never give you the attention you gave it back. It will not be there for you when things are going wrong in your life. You should be careful about making your whole life about it.

This is not to berate anybody! I am saying all of this to hopefully improve your life, because I know I have made these mistakes. I used to have the same arguments. I use to say the same things you do "Oh well I am sorry I have a passion in life" etc etc. I was wrong, and in ten years you will realise you were as well.

Go to those parties. Please do not do this to yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Let me let you in on a little secret. This does not really have to apply to you but its a general summation of my thoughts.

I speak from experience. I volunteered all four years of high school at a medical clinic. A lot of my spare time was spent there. I saw some cool things, became more mature, learned a lot, etc.

I also lost out on a whole lot. My advice to students wanting to go into EMS: Go to football games, study for your regular old high school classes, get involved in athletics, go out with friends, date, focus on having fun. I would never ever do it all the same if I could. I would completely forget about medicine and just relax/live life.

Why would you ever want to get a head start on working? You are going to be working for the rest of your life! You are going to learn all those things you learned volunteering all over again with everyone else who do not know a stethoscope from a reflex hammer, and, no one will give you a drop of credit because you already knew the different types of insulin from volunteering. I may have learned a bunch of cool bits, but you will never learn to put it together so its all useless anyways. But you will never have a chance to do High School over again.

Stop worrying about EMS. Even if you have a life in high school, you still should not be involved in it in any other capacity other than shadowing them for a day or two on a career week. Enjoy the last years of your life when you do not have to think about work.

EMS will never love you back. It will never give you the attention you gave it back. It will not be there for you when things are going wrong in your life. You should be careful about making your whole life about it.

This is not to berate anybody! I am saying all of this to hopefully improve your life, because I know I have made these mistakes. I used to have the same arguments. I use to say the same things you do "Oh well I am sorry I have a passion in life" etc etc. I was wrong, and in ten years you will realise you were as well.

Sounds like you got ripped off.

I did not lose out, I simply traded. But I definitely received more than I gave up.

I guess it depends on what you call “credit” I take the same classes as everyone else. But I don’t worry over things like: “Am I worthy to wear this white coat” or “will I ask the right questions? “ What if I forgot something?” “What if I get a B in class?” “Will I get into residency?” It is all mindless BS. It is why I no longer visit SDN. I will not post my extremely negative opinion of the people there. I got to start rotations earlier than all of my classmates. I am taught and permitted to do things they cannot wish for. I will not be done early, I will just do more. Doing more means learning more, that means being better. I like to play on the all star teams, not little league.

When I am working, both teaching and in the hospital, my confidence and experience serve my employers, students, patients, as well as myself very well. I am proud that physicians treat me like a peer, even though I am still in school.

Your life values may be as little time at work as possible, but I actually like to be there. If I was independently wealthy I’d do it at my own expense.
Starting your career early is like a long term investment. It pays off in the end. EMS or the hospital may not love me, but my friends and family do. Great friends, great family, great career, all I am missing is money, but it will come and if it doesn’t, I never had any to start with so I can’t really miss it.
I often feel bad for the people who have a “normal life.” They missed so much.

I am not saying starting so young is for everyone, but it has been great for me.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I agree 100%! There are few of us left that started as a teen. As well as the emotional baggage that attaches to those that did. Yeah, I worked the 100+ hours a week in EMS and was "mature" for my age. Sh*t, I should have never been seen or exposed to until later in life. A shift Supervisor over medics that was Vietnam Special Forces medics that would laugh at me and treat me like a brother; teaching the "real world". Those things I do not regret.

The problem is most attract to EMS alike a moth to a flame... only to get burned. Unless your past 30, you really cannot truthfully evaluate if it has affected you or not. You are still in the "moment" and cannot reflect upon it. If one would had asked the thousands I had seen that entered as a teen they too would agreed also; but ask them now.

Let's be realistic. If this was such a great deal; there would not be a shortage of medics, the average age of an EMT would not be in the twenties and the majority would have greater than 15 years experience. There is a reason why it is a relvoving door profession.

There is a reason other than child labor laws why hospitals do not employ or use teenagers for providing care. Believe me, for financial reasons if they could pay cheaper or use free labor they would but they know it is unrealistic and not even considered. Why should EMS be any different?

When comparing other speciality Explorer Posts, they do not allow them to have direct contact with armed suspects or carry a weapon. They as well do not allow them to agress in an active fire for rescue or supression; yet we believe they should be allowed to provide patient care? Again, why should EMS be an exception?

Let's quit making exceptions and be a real profession. A profession performed by those that have critical thinking skills, educated and clinical experience.

If one wants to perform first-aid .. so be it. Yet first response and first aid is NOT emergency medicine/EMS.

R/r 911

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Unless your past 30, you really cannot truthfully evaluate if it has affected you or not. You are still in the "moment" and cannot reflect upon it. If one would had asked the thousands I had seen that entered as a teen they too would agreed also; but ask them now.

33 and still alive!!! :) I have no regrets, but like i said, it is not for everyone.

Let's be realistic. If this was such a great deal; there would not be a shortage of medics, the average age of an EMT would not be in the twenties and the majority would have greater than 15 years experience. There is a reason why it is a relvoving door profession.

Never said it was a great deal, which is why I have been back to school for the last 3 years. But the experience I have received through my service in the emergency professions over the years has been invaluable for many aspects of life.

There is a reason other than child labor laws why hospitals do not employ or use teenagers for providing care. Believe me, for financial reasons if they could pay cheaper or use free labor they would but they know it is unrealistic and not even considered. Why should EMS be any different?

at the first responder level, I wouldn't call it providing care. it is better than a lay person, lesser than a professional.

When comparing other speciality Explorer Posts, they do not allow them to have direct contact with armed suspects or carry a weapon. They as well do not allow them to agress in an active fire for rescue or supression; yet we believe they should be allowed to provide patient care? Again, why should EMS be an exception?

What is the difference in risk between bystander cpr and first responder cpr? I think quality of CPR and direct oversight by a professional in the case of explorers. Plus the knowledge and use of universal precautions.

Let's quit making exceptions and be a real profession. A profession performed by those that have critical thinking skills, educated and clinical experience.
I don't think we are talking about replacing professionals with explorers. We are talking about mentoring future providers. Which in the molding may be able to achieve the things for EMS we have long struggled to get.

If one wants to perform first-aid .. so be it. Yet first response and first aid is NOT emergency medicine/EMS.

R/r 911

agree 100%

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Would you folks be as condemning if this was a boyscout helping out with the crowds as a volunteer who was able to perform bystander CPR and AED? Training the general public is a good thing.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
33 and still alive!!! :) I have no regrets, but like i said, it is not for everyone.

Never said it was a great deal, which is why I have been back to school for the last 3 years. But the experience I have received through my service in the emergency professions over the years has been invaluable for many aspects of life.

at the first responder level, I wouldn't call it providing care. it is better than a lay person, lesser than a professional.

What is the difference in risk between bystander cpr and first responder cpr? I think quality of CPR and direct oversight by a professional in the case of explorers. Plus the knowledge and use of universal precautions.

I don't think we are talking about replacing professionals with explorers. We are talking about mentoring future providers. Which in the molding may be able to achieve the things for EMS we have long struggled to get.

agree 100%
I respect your decisions. I actually still am in love with medicine. I love being in the hospital. I just wish I had more of a life as a kid, because I know realise I can give my full attention to my career. I didn't have too back than.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Would you folks be as condemning if this was a boyscout helping out with the crowds as a volunteer who was able to perform bystander CPR and AED? Training the general public is a good thing.
The difference between a Boy Scout providing a non medical service at a big convention and incidently saving a life vs. Teenage EMS is vast. But touche Bossy!

BayCityRollers

Forum Ride Along
They then got the aed and shocked the man three times with expired pads. Then, they got the pulse back! It is unknown if the patient survived at the hospital. Isn't that great!?!

Yeah. They shocked someone, and got a pulse back. That is great. There was all this hype and hoo-haa about AED's, oh they're so fricken great.. But all these advertisments about send in your "SAVE" info, get pics, free stuff, etc. But, you just don't see this.. because it ain't happening. I've been on nearly a hundred cardiac arrects, and I've only resuscitation ONE PERSON.. and it was with plain old single rescuer CPR, in the ambulance. You can't fix a life of bad choices with CPR, ACLS or an AED. Just can't do it. These kids acted, and they accomplished a field resuscitation.

Would you have rather they did nothing? Or.. Would YOU.. PERSONALLY.. Be more satisfied if this patient had died?

The guy was resuscitated. That's all they are responsible for.. Whether or not he died later on, has not one damn thing to do with the expired pads.. But you seem like one of these people who are never satisfied, until you can call out someones faults. There is no what if. The patient was resuscitated. They should be awarded for their actions, not condemed for someone not doing their job.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
^^^ Is that a new forum record for the quickest banning? CL's have been on a roll lately, have a beer on me.