Post the # your test stopped at, and if you Passed/Failed

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Didn't say anything about staring at questions. I made certain that all details were examined before I hit the kill switch, that's all.

People take tests differently. Just because someone finishes a test in 15-30 minutes (that takes others +90 minutes) doesn't mean they raced thru it to get first place.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Someone is showing significant life, educational, and career inexperience. NREMT is not "just like any other test". I've taken a lot of tests, too. Some of them were in consecutive three day sessions with everyone nationwide gathered into one hotel to protect the exam's integrity. None of them were a) on a computer where the answers irrevocably disappeared with no chance to correct realized errors prior to completion nor b) the "adaptive game" of esoterica. Anyone who claims that "as long as you've got your ABC's, you're ok" is full of it.

Adequately prepared- you're kidding, right? I think that if actual passing percentages were known, there would be a lot more humility among the passing.

I think you misunderstand me. If you've ever taken a computer adaptive test before, you know that the structure of the answers are very similar. There are two that are wrong, there is one that is right and there is one that is more right.

Adequately prepared for the National Registry test simply means that the candidate is well-versed in all of the DOT curriculum learning objectives. That's what the test is based on. It's not some sort of black art or voodoo witchcraft, it's clearly defined and easy to study for. Using test prep software or web applications can make you comfortable with computer testing. And acts a refresher for areas where you may be weak

As far as calling into question my career, life and test taking experience, I'll just refrain from comment.

Hate to break it to you, but the National Registry test is not difficult. Not for EMT, not for paramedic. Well educated, well prepared candidates have no issue with the NREMT computer adaptive testing.

Roy51

Forum Probie
I think you misunderstand me. If you've ever taken a computer adaptive test before, you know that the structure of the answers are very similar. There are two that are wrong, there is one that is right and there is one that is more right.

Adequately prepared for the National Registry test simply means that the candidate is well-versed in all of the DOT curriculum learning objectives. That's what the test is based on. It's not some sort of black art or voodoo witchcraft, it's clearly defined and easy to study for. Using test prep software or web applications can make you comfortable with computer testing. And acts a refresher for areas where you may be weak

As far as calling into question my career, life and test taking experience, I'll just refrain from comment.

Hate to break it to you, but the National Registry test is not difficult. Not for EMT, not for paramedic. Well educated, well prepared candidates have no issue with the NREMT computer adaptive testing.

I don't recall saying that it was difficult. What I recall stating was that it is not "like any other test". Let me break something to you: computer adaptive tests are not conventional in surveying ones knowledge of a field, be it the DOT curriculum or other professional bodies of knowledge. Not in medicine (I did say medicine, not nursing-because I hear the NCLEX IS similar), not in law, not in architecture, not in engineering of any flavor, not in the fire service. Not for certifying barbers, hairstylists, jewelers, home appraisers, licensing plumbers, electricians, gunsmiths... need I continue.

Where am I missing all this computer adaptive testing?

Roy51

Forum Probie
A bunch of classmates took NREMT this weekend. They all got 70 Q, they all passed and they all did it in 30 to 45 minutes. OK not 15 min, but if you know it then there is not much to sit and think about.

Yeah, I would bet it was no more than 45 minutes, but it seemed like longer. There is no preparation to simply walk in a breeze the entire test. Those of you who flew through, you got questions wrong. Not enough to fail, but don't fool yourself into thinking you aced it. Lots of ambiguous signs and symptoms with very equivocal supporting history (age 32, no trauma, pulse is 84, BP122/86, pt has a headache, what's wrong with him type of question... ).

Roy51

Forum Probie
People take tests differently. Just because someone finishes a test in 15-30 minutes (that takes others +90 minutes) doesn't mean they raced thru it to get first place.

Thanks. I had forgotten what tests are like, must be PTSD. Seriously though, 70 questions in 15 minutes of the type that I saw. And I have plenty of prior exposure outside of the "state class"; which is only saying that the exam material is a pretty familiar topic for me.

Roy51

Forum Probie

This actually is a pretty relevant point.

The point being, who cares how long it took you, which is why I threw my first post out to begin with. The thread asks 1) how many questions and 2) did you pass. Why does anyone care what your time was? They took my watch from me before I entered the test room, anyway.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I would bet it was no more than 45 minutes, but it seemed like longer. There is no preparation to simply walk in a breeze the entire test. Those of you who flew through, you got questions wrong. Not enough to fail, but don't fool yourself into thinking you aced it. Lots of ambiguous signs and symptoms with very equivocal supporting history (age 32, no trauma, pulse is 84, BP122/86, pt has a headache, what's wrong with him type of question... ).

First of all I have not taken it yet. But I have taken the NCLEX-RN and everyone I know that took that test thought they failed weather they did fail or weather they passed at 75Q (the minimum).

As for the NREMT none of my classmates thought they aced it. They knew they got stuff wrong. You can study your butt off but there is still going to be some stuff you dont know. I have ADHD and I always take my time. I will not be one of those people walking out in 30 minutes because I know myself. And I have taken a good number of these computer adaptive tests but when I rush I mess up. So I don't rush.

Roy51

Forum Probie
First of all I have not taken it yet. But I have taken the NCLEX-RN and everyone I know that took that test thought they failed weather they did fail or weather they passed at 75Q (the minimum).

As for the NREMT none of my classmates thought they aced it. They knew they got stuff wrong. You can study your butt off but there is still going to be some stuff you dont know. I have ADHD and I always take my time. I will not be one of those people walking out in 30 minutes because I know myself. And I have taken a good number of these computer adaptive tests but when I rush I mess up. So I don't rush.

Good for you to listen to yourself- your own requirements for success- and good luck! FYI, I have OCD and they put one of the worst possible targets next to me in the exam room. Tough focus there.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Good for you to listen to yourself- your own requirements for success- and good luck! FYI, I have OCD and they put one of the worst possible targets next to me in the exam room. Tough focus there.

LOL, yeah I have been to this Peason Vue center twice already for other exams so it almost feels like home. I take my shoes off, sit cross legged. I'll post tomorrow my stats but I am off to study now!!!!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief

You can't possibly know how many, if any, I got wrong because I took 30 minutes instead of two hours. :rolleyes:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Did I claim to?

You did state that people who finish the test quickly get questions wrong... Let me find the quote for you.

"Those of you who flew through, you got questions wrong."

Roy51

Forum Probie
And really, what's your point? It's a pass/fail, judged competent/not competent test.

I'll try and restate it. I'm looking at this from the perspective of a prior civil service metro FFPM, and also someone with a conventional academic and professional background... where "pass / fail" is simply not an option. Where the next chance to take a professional certification exam is in a year, not a week. A graded exam shows one's strengths and areas of needed growth is both useful for improvement and humility (which is in shorter supply among more youthful people). The CAT format is neither. Thus, the thread turns into "oh look at me, I did it in 15 minutes so [by extension] I must be awesome".

So I say, hold up. You did what in 15 minutes? The bare minimum? Aced it? Nope, can't claim that. All you know is this: you answered one question shy of either failure or extension: no more. So while I realize that this forum is your house and I am the newcomer: I've been at this quite a bit longer than many/most of the newly certifying folks. I encourage those with less humility to roll it back, and tone the test-related ego down because 15 minutes doesn't make you awesome. It makes you fast: at awesomeness, mediocrity, but most likely somewhere in between.

Do you believe that the world exists of people who are either competent or incompetent? It's that simple, is it?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes, the CAT is a lousy measure of competency, but its the yardstick we use. If you don't like it, petition the NREMT to rethink their methodology. Perhaps you're also a phsycometrican and have expertise in developing test questions? You seem to be an expert on the test.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll try and restate it. I'm looking at this from the perspective of a prior civil service metro FFPM, and also someone with a conventional academic and professional background... where "pass / fail" is simply not an option. Where the next chance to take a professional certification exam is in a year, not a week. A graded exam shows one's strengths and areas of needed growth is both useful for improvement and humility (which is in shorter supply among more youthful people). The CAT format is neither. Thus, the thread turns into "oh look at me, I did it in 15 minutes so [by extension] I must be awesome".

So I say, hold up. You did what in 15 minutes? The bare minimum? Aced it? Nope, can't claim that. All you know is this: you answered one question shy of either failure or extension: no more. So while I realize that this forum is your house and I am the newcomer: I've been at this quite a bit longer than many/most of the newly certifying folks. I encourage those with less humility to roll it back, and tone the test-related ego down because 15 minutes doesn't make you awesome. It makes you fast: at awesomeness, mediocrity, but most likely somewhere in between.

Do you believe that the world exists of people who are either competent or incompetent? It's that simple, is it?

Thank you for restating. I do agree with most of this, as I think the barrier for entry is much too low for paramedics and the test is a joke. It is what it is though, and whether you finish fast or not really makes no difference right now with the current state of testing.

That's why I don't consider passing the test (by whatever margin) as being able to be the best I can at my job. Learning doesn't end when you get your license. It begins there.

Roy51

Forum Probie
Yes, the CAT is a lousy measure of competency, but its the yardstick we use. If you don't like it, petition the NREMT to rethink their methodology. Perhaps you're also a phsycometrican and have expertise in developing test questions? You seem to be an expert on the test.

That is cute, psychometrician. I have taken an NREMT exam exactly once, therefore I am not an expert on it. I'm done with it and it is not my profession, so I frankly don't care how NR continues to conduct their business. It is how I serve my all volunteer community, on my own time. My motive for doing NR was that I can get moved and then what... sure not sitting through another state EMS class on my own time even if its paid for. Irrespective of any prior experience: it doesn't matter if you're the chief of trauma surgery or head ED nurse at Johns Hopkins, no one here gets care responsibility in the box unless there is a field EMS credential.