Pocket knives

Scout

Para-Noid
some of us(me) cant use chat :(

leatherman? a nice and simple one

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This thread goes back to 2006!

Question is, how big is your pocket? (haha).

Victorinox Armee Suisse officers knife, "Tinkerer" version. You want tools, bring a brand name ViseGrips with wire cutter and a geologist's pick.

imurphy

Forum Captain
I have a Leatherman Surge (about $90) and I find it's great. Sharp knife and good tools.

I also have a rescue knife, rounded tip and rounded blade that helps seatbelt cutting. It's about $10 on eBay!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Shocking thread, clear.....ZZZZZZAP!....it's ALIVE!

I almost forgot my first knife:
du_199511611a.jpg

Anyone try using an "ear tag c utter/remover" sold at feed stores as a cheap thin V blade? I have one ($5), fits into kit nicely, someday I'll gt it out and TRY it. (Comes in a variety of colors too, at the local store).
2259998.jpg

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Smith & Wesson "SWAT" knife... Got it when I was 16 and it's been a great knife. Only problem is that it will get gunk built up at the swivel point over time so cleaning is necessary from time to time... but I suppose all knives are like that.

195420000_large.jpg

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
My Choice

The two pocket knives that I carry, almost religiously, is my Leatherman Super Tool, and my Smith & Wesson 911. The S&W is an odd shape blade design, but it is extremely effective, and it will cut through almost anything, and it has a built in center punch, that has come in handy, especially when I am off duty.

There are a bunch on the market, but over the years these two have been the most effective to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Carry a S&W SWAT folding knife; and a leatherman.
place I used to work didn't want us to carry anything with a blade over 2" long; so we all carried 'seat belt cutters'. you could carry a machete, as long as it was called a seat belt cutter. one ff carried his dad's old K-bar on his bunker suspenders.

Buzz

Forum Captain
I carry just a cheapo knife.. three inch blade half serrated and another fold out razor blade. Use it a lot when improvising solutions in tricky situations.

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
I have always carried a pocket knife and go through them like candy. I use them for everything under the sun, from digging a hole to prying something open and once in a while I will use it to cut something. The best knives I have used to date are Columbia River Knife Company I find them durable, and easy to use, one handed folding and unfolding is really well designed to work well. I have been looking a a Smith & Wesson lately though, it's a fixed blade though.

eric2068

Forum Crew Member
Knives

My Macgyver Handy-Dandy Swiss Army Knife. It's got the tweezers, toothpick, and corkscrew.

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
I have had a Kershaw Junkyard Dog II for a while, but just bought a Schrade X-Timer yesterday.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
On the Amb I only carry a little Buck folding knife, but that is only cause I'm used to having a knife. I use it for sutff like cutting threads off my uniform, opening soda cans, (neither while in the back.^_^) etc. If it needs to be cut in the rig, trauma shears do the trick. In my turnouts and extrication gear I carry a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker assisted open knife.B) (Wish it was an auto open.:p) Cuts seatbelts like nothing. Plus I LOVE Benchmade.

Last edited by a moderator:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I use what Rambo uses

john_rambo_4.jpg

just kidding... I have talked to a lot of EMT's here and many say that the Smith and Wesson 1st responder is a good knife to have... just in general as well.

sw911b_02.jpg

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Some people say that it overkill when it takes 2 FFs and a Supervisor to transport this from the rig to the scene, but with this I can crack open a crushed vehilce and extricate the victim before the FFs can fire up the Jaws!

SwissArmyKnife.jpg

"Doc" Fox

Forum Probie
I carry on my belt a Gerber Multi-tool, and in my right, and left pockets are S&W S.W.A.T. knives with the black finish.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I carry on my belt a Gerber Multi-tool, and in my right, and left pockets are S&W S.W.A.T. knives with the black finish.

Wow, 3 knives? And people look at me funny for carrying one.

"Doc" Fox

Forum Probie
The multi-tool is great for the pliers, and screawdrivers. I have also lost one knive before, and not noticed untill I reached for it...Do'H. It's also a side effect from my time serving as a Auxiliary Officer, and in public safety. Some habits are hard to break I guess.