Pediatric Jump Bag

medic452

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I know most of us carry our own personal "Adult" jump bag in our POV's...however, how many of you carry a seperate "Pediatric" jump bag in your POV and what do you carry in it? Pros and Cons of carrying two, ect?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes I totally agree.

I carry pediatric 4x4s, pediquets (pediatric tourniquets), snoopy band aids, sterile saline but a lesser concentration for their more sensitive skin, and most importantly, several different pedi sized c-collars. I feel you can never be prepared enough.

I even found a discounted KED to use as a pedi immbolization device. It doesn't take up much room in my trunk either!!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
akflight, don't forget the Vaseline for the rectal thermometer.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
yes we have a pediatric jump bag with a bunch of the usual stuff.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I may be wrong, but I thought the OP was talking about carrying a peds jump kit in your POV - not on the rig.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I may be wrong, but I thought the OP was talking about carrying a peds jump kit in your POV - not on the rig.

I think your right. No I don't have a pediatric jump bag. I have a trauma kit that holds a small first aid kit with non-ems items in it like my phone charger.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi,

I know most of us carry our own personal "Adult" jump bag in our POV's...

Most???? My "jump bag" is my "bag of tricks" that I carry to work, cause well, I move into the rig for 12 hours, need something to entertain me!!!!

I don't really carry supplies for stopping and assisting, it kinda depends on what hasn't been cleaned out of my car. Therefor, I do not have pediatric or adult specific supplies

MRE

Forum Captain
Most supplies can be used for adults and pedi. I do have basic airways that are small enough for pedi and a pedi C collar.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
two things:

1) id review your stats on who here carts about a jump kit for the purposes of providing medical aid to people while off duty. note, people who respond(whether paid or volly) directly to the scene are often partially or fully required to carry duty gear and thus dont count. we're talking about the whack pack who want to save the world one onsighted mvc at a time. i think you'll find that most of us have seen the light...

2) as far as on duty, one company i used to work for had a dedicated pedi bag on the medic truck. pedi cuff, pedi iv stuff, broslow tape etc. that made it easier when we got a pedi call. everything in one place. sure, we have dupes of everything throughout the truck but this eliminated the hunting and gathering.

Last edited by a moderator:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
two things:

1) id review your stats on who here carts about a jump kit for the purposes of providing medical aid to people while off duty. note, people who respond(whether paid or volly) directly to the scene are often partially or fully required to carry duty gear and thus dont count. we're talking about the whack pack who want to save the world one onsighted mvc at a time. i think you'll find that most of us have seen the light...

2) as far as on duty, one company i used to work for had a dedicated pedi bag on the medic truck. pedi cuff, pedi iv stuff, broslow tape etc. that made it easier when we got a pedi call. everything in one place. sure, we have dupes of everything throughout the truck but this eliminated the hunting and gathering.
Kev, that's how we do it.

We check out the pedi bags and seal them based on color to the braslow tape. Then we just make sure they are sealed every morning still and have not expired. It makes it very easy since after a call, we only have to re check one bag and restock that one bag and not go through the entire list of things for all the colors.

The only thing I carry in my bookbag is eye shield (company's are crap assuming we know where they are), maybe a couple of pairs of gloves, and a sthethoscope (in case i don't like the one on the truck). Other than that its just books, mp3 player, keys and other stuff i don't want ot carry in my pocket.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
My bag is set up for both ped's and adult, and I only have it in my car when I'm going to another station on OT.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
My bag is set up for both ped's and adult, and I only have it in my car when I'm going to another station on OT.

just out of curiosity, what abotu the city trucks? one bag or an adult and a pedi set?

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
The trucks are stocked with two adult and one ped's bag, however more than half the medics stock and carry their own bag. I take my bag wherever I'm working, and try to use it whenever possible. I can carry everything I need in one bag, its a bit heavy, but I know I have everything I need.

FF894

Forum Captain
The trucks are stocked with two adult and one ped's bag, however more than half the medics stock and carry their own bag. I take my bag wherever I'm working, and try to use it whenever possible. I can carry everything I need in one bag, its a bit heavy, but I know I have everything I need.

Wait, when you are working on the rig you bring and use your own bags? That just seems a little weird. So they are all different? Does each partner have their own?

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
yeah, it is a bit strange. My partners and I carry our own bags, I know where things are in their bags and they know where things are in mine. We usually rotate between calls, so if its my case, then we use my bag. All the trucks have dedicated bags, but for the most part people prefer to set up their own. The bags supplied are not ideal, someday they may provide a bag we all like, and the personal bag will be a thing of the past. The drug boxes are all the same, as are the monitors and o2 bags.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Who pays for the bags and the equipment in them? As long as the company pays for everything I could maybe see it but isn't that what a rig check is for. All of our rigs are stocked with a specific number of each item and actually I have yet to see one that doesn't get restocked enough and all of the jump bags are set up in the exact same manner with the same number of each item so you can grab any jump bag out of any rig and know exactly where to find what you're looking for. Maybe that's a perk of being with a smaller company that has time to restock between calls but I couldn't imagine any other way.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
If you want your own bag, you pay for it. All the equipment however, is from the city. I come from a military background, were everything is packed the same way, so if you were in a dark room, my ruck would be the same as yours. It makes sense that way, but alas, thats not how it is were I work. I am now a HUGE fan of using my own bag, packed my own way. I don't care for the provided bags. It may not be the norm, but for me, I wouldn't want to be without my own kit. Just an opinion of course. Now, if everyone would just use my style of bag packed exactly like mine, we wouldn't have this problem.:p

OP
OP
M

medic452

Forum Ride Along
Im the exact same way. I run with two different agencies, and all of their trucks are stocked with their own bags, however, I find it works much better for me to carry my own.

We live in a small county, so if it is an adult call, I use my own bag so that I know where everything is located, ect. If it is a peds call, then I will grab my peds bag filled with a bunch of goodies to calm the kids down and work out of that. It may seem like a pain to carry and or use both, but you'd be surprised how many times I'm glad I had.

FF894

Forum Captain
I think it makes sense to have your own as long as it works out between your partner and you. I agree 100% with having bags orderly and consistent. One agency I works for has all of the bags exactly the same so you could reach in blind folded and know where to grab. We also center all zippers. Love it. Other agency- all bags are different depending on vehicle, lucky if they are even stocked properly. Never able to find anything when there is plenty of time, let alone a code or major trauma.