Partner got mad at me. Was I wrong?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Your partner is an idiot...
That's being kind.
The fail is strong in your partner
I agree... the fail is SERIOUSLY strong.

We have a box or bag or shelf full of medications. We have a box or bag or shelf full of needles, catheters, syringes, tubing, masks, and all sorts of odd gadgets all for the care of a patient. We also have hands. Our hands, we usually use to handle all that stuff for doing patient care. Our hands can also help ease pain and relieve suffering... all because of the sensitivity of touch. Holding someone's hand, giving a little shoulder squeeze, or helping guide someone's hands to a hand-hold is all the medicine a person needs at that minute. And sometimes, you might just be able to feel a patient becoming more agitated... and be better able to know when to respond defensively for you or protectively for them.

You can attempt to provide care to someone that's hurt, scared, or angry. Or you can try to ease the hurt, soothe the scared, and calm the angry... and many, many times, you don't have to use a chemical to do it. Your hands can do that, even if you don't speak their language. The person that's not hurting as much, not scared as much, and is far less angry is much more likely to let you help.

All because of knowing how to use your hands.

That partner may have a Paramedic cert, but certainly does not know how to BE a Paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's being kind.

Ok, let me try this again. When Carlos Mencia came up with the "Dee Dee Dee" joke, he was thinking of Anjel1030's partner.

Edit:

I've found a picture of Anjel's partner online...
derp_derp_derp.jpg

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
ok, let me try this again. When carlos mencia came up with the "dee dee dee" joke, he was thinking of anjel1030's partner.

Edit:

I've found a picture of anjel's partner online...
derp_derp_derp.jpg
direct hit!!!!

MikeyB

Forum Probie
WOW!!! yeah to beat a dead horse your partner is an idiot !!! i held the hand of PT while i was doing ride along's part of patient care to help comfort the PT as best we can

MikeyB

Forum Probie
Ok, let me try this again. When Carlos Mencia came up with the "Dee Dee Dee" joke, he was thinking of Anjel1030's partner.

Edit:

I've found a picture of Anjel's partner online...
derp_derp_derp.jpg

hey!!! i am the owner of a boston terrier and they are one of the most intelligent dogs on this planet !!!

P.S. understand the pic and i get the joke!! thats funny

cOmpressor

Forum Probie
You did the right thing, I've done it myself. You were not being "soft" or "new", you were doing your job.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305186175.962051.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305186175.962051.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 279

Sasha

Forum Chief
I must cross the line often then, i will hold hands, sometimes without being asked. Ive also been known to run a hand through a patients hair. Touch shows them you care, caring makes them feel better. Your partner needs to gtfo of ems.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I've even touched patient's hands without wearing gloves. I r teh daredevil.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've even touched patient's hands without wearing gloves
. I r teh daredevil.

I hate taking students because i dont wear gloves unless theyre really groudy or there are body fluids or waste. or im dealing with open wounds. ive even taken a bgl with no gloves. Yet i drill "wear gloves!" into them so they do for school.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
You absolutely did the right thing.
I transported an elderly pt. from a nursing home, this pt. was CAO, was in 3rd degree block, and dying. She had her DNR, DNI, no CPR, wanted nothing done. Her family was hours away, and they were on their way. I held her hand, stayed past my shift, until her family got there. But, her family made it 10 minutes after she had died. I will never forget her and the emotional conversation I had with her will stick with me for the rest of my life. I would do it again, and probably will. I did a good deed that day, and I felt sad, yet honored that I was with her. This is a lesson that no one or any book can teach you. You know where this comes from. Either you have it or you don't. You have it!! Keep it.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I was taught to treat all patients as though they were family. For elderly woman, I ask myself, what if this was my mom?

OP
OP
Anjel

Anjel

Forum Angel
Thanks guys.

I really felt that was the best thing I could do for my patient at that time.

What if it was a child? I am sure my partner wouldn't hesitate to calm them. Idk though lol

Just because their needs aren't medical doesn't mean that's where my job ends.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Man, I can't tell you how many hands I've held, shoulders I've held, or shoudlers Ive let patients cry in to in this job. It's part of it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I have held hands on 911 and IFT calls where I was assisting or attending. I've never had anyone criticize me for doing it and I would probably chew them out if they did. If your partner believes that holding a patients hand isn't a part of our job, they need to have a long conversation with Firetender about our roles in the field.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
My partner told me I am a newbie and need to learn where to draw the line. He thinks I crossed some line by holding her hand. .

You're partner has some personal reasons for not wanting to give a hoot but, that isn't your problem. You do the right (albiet, a choice) thing and let him be the ars!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Sooo... today we were transporting a lady from the hospital to a nursing home.

She was about 58ish I think and had recently been trached. She had a history of schizophrenia and depression and a learning disability.

She was already crying when we walked in the room saying how scared she was and how she was nervous about the ride.

Once we got in the back of the truck she was freaking out about every stop, bump, or turn. After I got her history wrote down she asked if I could hold her hand. Which I did for the remainder of the trip.

My partner told me I am a newbie and need to learn where to draw the line. He thinks I crossed some line by holding her hand.

She was absolutely terrified and shaking and thats the only thing she needed me to do for her. I don't see anything wrong with it. He just really made me mad by saying I am a newbie and have a lot to learn.

You were not worng. I have held the hands of scared patients before. It helps calm them down. Thats a good thing.

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Sooo... today we were transporting a lady from the hospital to a nursing home.

She was about 58ish I think and had recently been trached. She had a history of schizophrenia and depression and a learning disability.

She was already crying when we walked in the room saying how scared she was and how she was nervous about the ride.

Once we got in the back of the truck she was freaking out about every stop, bump, or turn. After I got her history wrote down she asked if I could hold her hand. Which I did for the remainder of the trip.

My partner told me I am a newbie and need to learn where to draw the line. He thinks I crossed some line by holding her hand.

She was absolutely terrified and shaking and thats the only thing she needed me to do for her. I don't see anything wrong with it. He just really made me mad by saying I am a newbie and have a lot to learn.
In the words of Alfred Hitchcock, ":censored::censored::censored::censored: That Fool!"

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Medicine isn't always about the drugs and procedures. Sometimes the best medicine we have is a sympathetic ear, a kind word and a gentle touch.
You appear to have learned this lesson early and have left your partner behind.