Partner got mad at me. Was I wrong?

Dougy

Forum Probie
Sooo... today we were transporting a lady from the hospital to a nursing home.

She was about 58ish I think and had recently been trached. She had a history of schizophrenia and depression and a learning disability.

She was already crying when we walked in the room saying how scared she was and how she was nervous about the ride.

Once we got in the back of the truck she was freaking out about every stop, bump, or turn. After I got her history wrote down she asked if I could hold her hand. Which I did for the remainder of the trip.

My partner told me I am a newbie and need to learn where to draw the line. He thinks I crossed some line by holding her hand.

She was absolutely terrified and shaking and thats the only thing she needed me to do for her. I don't see anything wrong with it. He just really made me mad by saying I am a newbie and have a lot to learn.

When a patient is upset or clearly distraught, I will always let them hold my hand or I'll put my hand on their shoulder and sit near them.

It goes such a long way. Especially with geriatric women.. the medics and the needle really freak them out it seems.. and they become so much more calm and relax if they have a hand to hold.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
My god I must be the weakest EMT-CC/ LPN out there, as I'll do just about anything it takes for my pt.s.. Hugs, getting a kiss on the cheek, etc.. Unless the pt. seems uncomfortable with it I always shake hands give them a pat on the back etc. before leaving them. The only thing I haven't done is cry as that was the way I was raised. I even bit my tongue at my twos daughters births so I wouldn't. Though I have cried at a fallen soliders ceremony or two(o.k. probably the dozen or so I turned out for but it wasn't a sob, just a tear down my cheek and I wasn't the only one). Your partner either needs to re-evaluate why he is an EMT or get a new line of work that requires less in the way of compassion. He can be technically proficient at fixing cars and make more money to boot.