Paramedic rideouts difficulty would like ADVICE

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I am currently doing my rideouts for paramedic school I know this probably gets asked alot. But have you as a student ever had a call that made you rethink your career decision? I had a call tonight I was running just fine then it went south. It's the first time I actually cried after a call and no it wasn't a peds call. I've been told most of my life by my parents " you can't do that" you won't be good at that" according to my therapist this is not a good way to raise a kid. I felt like I wasn't moving fast enough for this patient

OP
OP
xrsm002

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I am thinking since I already have my basic cert to go test my AEMT/Intermediate and working or volunteering as one for a little bit then come back and try my medic rideouts again has anyone done this?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
What makes you think you were not moving fast enough? Are you possibly holding yourself to unachievable standards? There will be a steep learning curve and there will be patients that throw your for a loop and make you feel behind the ball. This is common and happens to everyone. No one expects you to be perfect during your ride alongs. Just make sure you are safe and competent and the speed and confidence will come with experience.

OP
OP
xrsm002

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I just felt like I was moving too slow for this particular patient. Thought it was going to be a normal asthma patients ended up breathing for them. I am trying to run calls per our schools policy and I am over the required hours that I should have been signed off at, I feel like I dropped the ball in running this call. I wasn't ready to expect the unexpected. I also had an overwhelming feeling with all the stuff we had to do. Will this feeling ease with experience?

OP
OP
xrsm002

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I honestly think the service I'm riding out with is holding me to unachievable standards, I don't even want to work for this service. I'm thinking an ER Tech or maybe on a smaller service around me.

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
First of all, don't assume any call is going to be a 'normal' call. Things happen, and patients will go south on you. You just have to learn to roll with it, and remember your training.

I know asthmatics tend to get panicky once they get tired and hypoxic during a status episode, but you can't let it get you all worked up too.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
First of all, don't assume any call is going to be a 'normal' call. Things happen, and patients will go south on you. You just have to learn to roll with it, and remember your training.

I know asthmatics tend to get panicky once they get tired and hypoxic during a status episode, but you can't let it get you all worked up too.

This times a million.

It's few and far between were seconds actually count in this job, slow yourself down and think. It gets easier.

For what it's worth I still am nervous every night I'm on the truck, I've been out on my own for 3 months now.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I agree with that others said but would like to point out the fact you need to get a grip. At least you held yourself together until after the call but what if you started crying during patient care? How would that not only look, how would it effect your judgments and ability to do your job?

How will you react when you show up to a call with a dead child laying on the ground and the parents are freaking out, your the only paramedic and its all up to you run the code, dial in the right medications, drop an ET tube, so on and so forth.... will you start crying?

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I am currently doing my rideouts for paramedic school I know this probably gets asked alot. But have you as a student ever had a call that made you rethink your career decision? I had a call tonight I was running just fine then it went south. It's the first time I actually cried after a call and no it wasn't a peds call. I've been told most of my life by my parents " you can't do that" you won't be good at that" according to my therapist this is not a good way to raise a kid. I felt like I wasn't moving fast enough for this patient

You're a paramedic student, so you're running with another paramedic or two, right? I would like to think that they would not back off and purposefully let the pt crash just to see how you work. It sounds like the pt was behind the 8-ball before you even got there, if three providers couldn't treat them successfully.

Is it also possible that your protocols are too conservative? Maybe post this call in the ALS section and maybe we can give you some constructive feedback.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I just felt like I was moving too slow for this particular patient. Thought it was going to be a normal asthma patients ended up breathing for them. I am trying to run calls per our schools policy and I am over the required hours that I should have been signed off at, I feel like I dropped the ball in running this call. I wasn't ready to expect the unexpected. I also had an overwhelming feeling with all the stuff we had to do. Will this feeling ease with experience?

I think it will ease up. You'll move faster and exercise more efficent critical thinking as time goes on. None of us were super medics when we first got into the field, not to mention still being in school. You'll come to realize that you can't help how the pt got to where they are when the 911 call goes out, how far behind the 8-ball they are. You can only to do what you can do, and if they have an untoward outcome, it's not your fault. So long as you practice good medicine, you can be certain that the pt's demise was beyond your control. As far as sick/injured peds, someone has to help them, right? That someone should be you. You have to detatch yourself emotionally maybe 90% during the call and just execute your trainign and education, like a machine. Getting emoptional is a valid and understandable response, but goes against pt care. Just remove yourself emotionally during the call and then grieve afterward. I've seen quite a few providers, with 5+ years on the job, cry after some calls. Then they go back to work when they're ready. It's fine.

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Everyone up here has given you such great advise and I second all of it. There are some that we just cant save!!

I dont know how things are with your medical control but I know there have been some calls I just wasnt sure if there was anything else I could of done or not. On your bad ones you cant help but question yourself and see if you could of dont something differently. The er staff and our medical control has no problem if we ask then about it afterward. there have been several times that I have called a nurse to the side or the dr who treated my patient and told them the truth....if there was something i didnt do and should of done would u let me know because I want to learn from this call.

There are gonna be times that even they feel inadequate in the care they give! If they know that you want them to help you learn from it they are usually more than willing to share what they know. Ive never had a bad experience asking. Be prepared to learn from it!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Impossible standards...welcome to medicine. We are always being motivated to excel by expectations in ethics and regulations, not to mention company rules and protocols.

Sure, try another service. Maybe some inter-facility transfers (IFT) to get comfy with patients and get a better picture of pathology and just being old and chronically something or other.

OP
OP
xrsm002

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I agree with that others said but would like to point out the fact you need to get a grip. At least you held yourself together until after the call but what if you started crying during patient care? How would that not only look, how would it effect your judgments and ability to do your job?

How will you react when you show up to a call with a dead child laying on the ground and the parents are freaking out, your the only paramedic and its all up to you run the code, dial in the right medications, drop an ET tube, so on and so forth.... will you start crying?

Nope I won't because I was upset it was a tough call for me, I've never cried during a call, I've dealt with dead kids,I am really good about holding myself together during the call. However when I deal with dead kids I see counseling ASAP

OP
OP
xrsm002

xrsm002

Forum Captain
This wasnt a ped it was an adult, but although it wasnt a pleasant experience, it was a learning experience I will probably be thankful for in the future. I held myself together all throughout the call then let the waterworks flow back at the station. The crying wasnt due to the patients condition just my parents telling me I wouldnt be a good at stuff or medicine pretty much all my life. This call seemed to make me agree with them. However I remembered Ive already graduated the class portion of medic school just doing the hands on truck stuff, I love my crew I am with great people. So that makes it easier

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This wasnt a ped it was an adult, but although it wasnt a pleasant experience, it was a learning experience I will probably be thankful for in the future. I held myself together all throughout the call then let the waterworks flow back at the station. The crying wasnt due to the patients condition just my parents telling me I wouldnt be a good at stuff or medicine pretty much all my life. This call seemed to make me agree with them. However I remembered Ive already graduated the class portion of medic school just doing the hands on truck stuff, I love my crew I am with great people. So that makes it easier
You're not going to like my advice, but in addition to some of the advice of previous posters, there comes a point in your life when you'll stop using your parents as an excuse.

Life sometimes sucks and parents sometimes sucks. You're an adult that selected an emotionally challenging career. Take full responsibility for your actions and be the best medic that you can be. You and your patients deserve it, it's not about your parents.

Good luck!

chillybreeze

Forum Lieutenant
You're not going to like my advice, but in addition to some of the advice of previous posters, there comes a point in your life when you'll stop using your parents as an excuse.

Life sometimes sucks and parents sometimes sucks. You're an adult that selected an emotionally challenging career. Take full responsibility for your actions and be the best medic that you can be. You and your patients deserve it, it's not about your parents.

Good luck!

sound advise also!