Paramedic positions in NYC

Aaliyah

Forum Probie
I currently live upstate NY, working part-time as an EMT. I'll be finishing my paramedic course June/2017. I'd like to move to NYC this summer. I will be taking the upcoming EMT civil service test for FDNY, but I'd like to find a paramedic position outside of FDNY while I wait to hear back. Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult it may be to find a paramedic job in NYC?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I have no idea since I am a certified West Coast paramedic, but these guys seem like a legitimate place to start:

https://www.northwell.edu/find-care/services-we-offer/center-emergency-medical-services/about

I did learn of someone recently who may be able to help you... @rescue1. Also, I still don't completely understand how EMS works in that city. I only understand that the FDNY is so overwhelmed with call-volume. The culture and approach to prehospital medicine actually seems surprisingly more antiquated than I had initially thought.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Why do you want to leave upstate? You get treated better and paid more! Also short of you being the son of cuomo, chances are youll be waiting quite a long time, I think theres a FDNY thread on this forum somewhere that has the same information beaten to death about 3,000 times. Bottom line, upstate you get paid more and treated better

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Why do you want to leave upstate? You get treated better and paid more! Also short of you being the son of cuomo, chances are youll be waiting quite a long time, I think theres a FDNY thread on this forum somewhere that has the same information beaten to death about 3,000 times. Bottom line, upstate you get paid more and treated better

According to that thread there's like a two year wait from the time you test until you start the academy. I watch the thread just for the entertainment factor. Learned some cool stuff about the FDNY though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Why not work as a real medic in Texas?

When I go to work on Monday, I might RSI, transfuse blood, throw out some Ketamine and chemically cardiovert someone with diltiazem, for all I know.

No state taxes, personal freedom, six different ecologies, guns if you want them, a surprisingly accepting and libertarian culture, multiple seasons per month, and we're one of the most diverse places on Earth, low cost of living and generally high standards for EMS without a lot of the subordination to nursing you see in certain left coast states.

OP
OP
A

Aaliyah

Forum Probie
You don't get paid more up here. Also my family lives in NYC. Besides, finding a paid ems position with any type of benefits in my area is impossible. There isn't much opportunity up here, plus it isn't culturally diverse.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I'm in Albany and make more then most paramedics(hourly rate) I work part time. Albany is just as culturally diverse. 2 hours from the city.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
You're better off outside of NYC as far as wages vs. cost of living go unless you can get on one of the hospital services...FDNY doesn't come close on the wage front.

My understanding is that - typically - folks start off at SeniorCare or one of the privates then move on to a hospital or FDNY.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm a rural bumpkin, born and raised in rural NYS. Still very much a small-town guy, even after moving around and living in urban settings.

That said, I can definitely see the allure of living in NYC. For a little while, at least. It's like a different world.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My understanding is that - typically - folks start off at SeniorCare or one of the privates then move on to a hospital or FDNY.
I wonder if this still holds true for folks such as myself.

While I have zero interest or desire to uproot my family and I to NYC, I would be ok doing ground CCP work for a seemingly legitimate outfit once I get my flight wiggles released (if ever); I don't know that people realize how bright some of these critical care paramedics are, or have the potential to be.

Northwell also has a 135, or 145 as well, TMK. It's predominantly IFT from what I know, but again, at this point their care is usually much more acute. Food for thought, OP.

Edit: it's an AB-135, I remember seeing the fenestron tail rotor.

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder if this still holds true for folks such as myself.

While I have zero interest or desire to uproot my family and I to NYC, I would be ok doing ground CCP work for a seemingly legitimate outfit once I get my flight wiggles released (if ever); I don't know that people realize how bright some of these critical care paramedics are, or have the potential to be.

Northwell also has a 135, or 145 as well, TMK. It's predominantly IFT from what I know, but again, at this point their care is usually much more acute. Food for thought, OP.

Edit: it's an AB-135, I remember seeing the fenestron tail rotor.

That's a good question, actually. An experienced medic should surely go to the top of the list for FDNY, but I don't think you get much credit for experience outside of NYC...Also, you'd have to get NYC REMAC credentialing (unrelated...the NYC medic protocols are pretty uninspiring). The only reason I'd want to work in NYC as a medic is to be *in* NYC as a medic. As far as broadening clinical knowledge/scope/etc., one is better off going elsewhere, I'd say.

I think Yale collaborates (or has some sort of joint venture) with Northwell for HEMS...SkyHealth, they call it. I've never dealt with them, but Yale's got some great name recognition ;)

No shortage of smart people around - but NYS (NYC, too!) has so many issues that it would be hard pressed to keep as many smart people as are really needed to have truly great EMS. NYC, I know for a fact, is a mess - and it only has gotten worse since the FDNY takeover of NYC*EMS back in 1996.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@EpiEMS I don't think I have the physical or mental desire to ever apply at FDNY, I was talking more the other service, with their reputable-looking CCT setup.

Honestly, for me at this point aside from a pension, the FDNY would be a side step, if not a downgrade.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@EpiEMS I don't think I have the physical or mental desire to ever apply at FDNY, I was talking more the other service, with their reputable-looking CCT setup.

Honestly, for me at this point aside from a pension, the FDNY would be a side step, if not a downgrade.

Oh, it'd be a downgrade times two, easily! We're talking <$50k starting pay in NYC!

Ah, ok - Northwell is good. I like their people, from those I've met!

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I have no idea since I am a certified West Coast paramedic, but these guys seem like a legitimate place to start:

https://www.northwell.edu/find-care/services-we-offer/center-emergency-medical-services/about

I did learn of someone recently who may be able to help you... @rescue1. Also, I still don't completely understand how EMS works in that city. I only understand that the FDNY is so overwhelmed with call-volume. The culture and approach to prehospital medicine actually seems surprisingly more antiquated than I had initially thought.

So most of my EMS experience is in the Philadelphia region, but I live in NYC now for medical school so I have a vague idea what's going on.

FDNY EMS has a long waiting list, partially because it's a big EMS agency in a sexy city with pretty good benefits (though the salary isn't exactly great for the COL here), but also because the easiest way to get hired by the FDNY as a firefighter is to work a few years as a paramedic and laterally transfer over. Firefighting in NYC is 100% a better job (better pay, benefits, promotions, etc) so lots of people try going this way.

But, there are like 10 (?) "voluntary" hospitals that provide 911 ALS to the city as well. Despite the name they're not volunteers (The big volunteer organizations in the city are Hatzolah, the Jewish ambulance service, and the Central Park Medic Unit, which covers...Central Park), and they make as much if not more than FDNY, though they don't get the pension or some of the sweet benefits. Off the top of my head in my part of Manhattan there's Mount Sinai EMS, Northwell EMS, NY Presbyterian EMS and St Luke's/Roosevelt EMS. Outside of Manhattan there's SUNY Downstate, Flushing Hospital, and Jamaica Hospital that also have 911 ALS, off the top of my head. Then there's SeniorCare, Hunter Ambulance and assorted other private ambulances who do IFT only. I can't really say if any are better or worse than the others, but I'd always try and take a 911 hospital job over one of the private companies.

I'm sure if you shot out an application to all of these you'd be able to get something. I think this is a semi current list: http://www.nycremsco.org/newsflash1.aspx

Also I'm sure you know this if you have family here, but NYC is crazy expensive so if you move here without a job lined up I hope you have family or friends you can stay with.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@rescue1 I knew you were the right person for the job. Also, I have no desire to move to NYC. I was just trying to help the OP a bit:).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
TBH, if you realllllly want to live in NYC. Do it, and if your an experienced medic, fly with Hackensack(NJ) AirMedic1-3. Fantastic pay, benefits ect. If your an experienced medic, AND you have been doing your networking, fly for one of the hospitals in the city and you'd make a ton of money and all that fun jazz. Simply working for the FDNY as my good pal @EpiEMS has stated, is simply for saying "I work for FDNY" you take a paycut from just about anywhere you'd be coming from. As an EMT i'm probably comparable salary wise to the NYC medic guys/gals. Unless you can get a gig with one of the major hospitals (Mt Sinai, NYP, ect) I don't feel it's fiscally responsible(or possible) to work normal(ish) hours and still survive in the city.

As i was typing this @rescue1 also said some of the same things :) sorry for repeating. Good job mate!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@rescue1 I have a buddy that pays roughly 4k for a 1 bed 1 bath down on sullivan&houston, down by 6th ave... Is that average? I can't fathom that much money for rent lol