Paramedic Math

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
Hey all. After looking around I didn't find a thread pertaining to my question so here it goes:

Will most Medic programs teach you the math you need to know for the job/career or should I take supplemental math courses?

Hx: Did not finish high school. Got a GED. I don't have ANY advanced math experience ie; pre-algebra, algebra, etc.

I am going to be starting some catch-up math courses but I'm wondering if I don't need to take them? ? ? Might interfere with starting a medic program in the fall or 2012 spring 2013.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Paramedic math pretty much consists of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Paramedic math pretty much consists of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said.

Med math is easy. <- My opinion on the matter.

If a medic program doesn't teach you and make you practice the math required it has no business teaching medic students.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Beyond all of the condescending comments you're bound to receive, I think you'll find that most Paramedic programs teach you all the math you'll need to know. It's rare to find a program that requires a college-level math course.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't have ANY advanced math experience ie; pre-algebra, algebra,

"Advanced math"? LOL

I will tend to agree with the comment that MMiz made. Medical math is pretty simple. The most complicated thing you're likely to encounter is a concentration calculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Speaking as a dysnumeric (can't do math)

1. You could learn how to do IV rate calculations, in case the fancy pump isn't working?
2. I heartily suggest a statistics class, but take one designed to make you a better consumer of statistics, often taught as being for health professionals. It hones your cr*p detector.
3. Memorize the surface area rule of eights, so you won't have to try to calculate it from scratch. Make flash cards.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Don't sweat it, the math is the least of your worries in the paramedic program. But if it helps find a school that has an RN program near you and usually in between semesters they teach a pharmacology for health care workers course. Great course to break you into it if you are far removed from math. Also Google khan video courses and work through the algebra courses.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Knowing basic algebra and how to solve for X is most of it. Knowing how to convert between units is also something you should know/learn. Both are simple enough and can be studied in advance of the class on your own. (which I would suggest if you are worried)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My day job has me working with teachers from across the state. We partner them with academic and industry researchers so they can spend a year learning what their students will need to be successful in that industry, and then taking those lessons back to their classroom.

One of the teachers has worked with a hospital for the past two years, and has created a series of curriculum units on dosages, conversions, weights and measures. If her middle school students can do it, you can too. It's just a matter of memorization, practice, and re-checking.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thriceknight

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
Thanks all for the advice!!! I'm not too worried really. I'm a pretty good learner so if the show me what I need to know than I'm set. Still will probably take some sort of math course. :cool:

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
While there's nothing wrong with going out and learning calculus or linear algebra or set theory or something, the math in medic school is all high school level stuff.

There's maybe some value to having a statistics course for when you're reading research papers and such, but honestly, $20 on a introductory stats book, and an few hours on the internet, and you get can a pretty good idea of what a t-test, alpha value, standard deviation, etc. are. I think a lot of medic programs are beginning to teach a short statistics course within their research component now, anyway.