Paramedic girl or a guy?

Liya

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,
I always wanted to become a paramedic, and after spending 2 years in college for pre-meds, I'm thinking to go for paramedic. But I have a question: is there's a preference for a guy when they hiring for new people? I mean it bothers me because I'm a small bodied girl =) LOL well I weight 100 pounds, would that be a factor I will have a hard time finding a job? I know it sounds silly, but most paramedics I saw are guys, and I don't want to work for something I wouldn't be able to get a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I've rarely seen any discrimination based on sex, race, creed, orientation. at least w/ the companies around here... i see bariatric units where the crew is 2 small women the don't weight as much as my right leg.... combined... you'll be fine... if anything you have an advantage over the excessively fat guys... good luck

[edit] with the present equipment used today, physical strength isn't a big issue... hydraulic stretchers... winches on bari trucks. should you come across a situation you can't handle, you can always call for assistance [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Most of the services I've ever worked for simply have a series of physical tests. You pass the tests, you're good to go. One of my partners was a woman who was probably 100 lbs soaking wet in her uniform & boots... she knew and used good, proper lifting mechanics and could lift and move large patients as well as anyone I'd ever worked with, male or female. Don't let your size hold you back! Besides, there's more assistive devices available now than even a few years ago.

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Small girls in my program get through the lift tests just fine once they get proper lifting technique down.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
What they all said. If you want it, don't worry about discrimination.

I'm an average-sized girl. Never had any trouble getting hired that I think could be chalked up to my gender, and I work for a pretty redneck place. I think I had to work harder at lifting than my guy friends at first, but I'm fine with it now.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
My instructor is a male medic, my secondary instructor is a female medic. I haven't seen an issue so far but I'm not in the field. And I dont get any crap for being a thin female from any of my fellow students (mostly tall/muscled males).

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm a tiny, 98lb woman, and I'm a paramedic. I didn't find it hard to get or keep a job. you may get partners who percieve you as weak without even giving you the chance to prove you can lift your fair share, but they're butt heads and will get over it once you prove them wrong.

As previously stated, as long as you can pass the physicals and lift tests, you should be good. Compared to some, I've been in EMS a relatively short time, (about a year and a half.) but, I've never encountered discrimination because of my gender.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I've seen plenty of female paramedics. Some of them are slight, some of them are larger, but it doesn't seem to make a difference (and frankly, I could care less as long as they know their stuff).

It might also depend on where you are, a little bit. Paramedics around here rarely move patients. Since we have tiered response, they have BLS crews for that. :)

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Some of the best EMTs/medics I've ever seen have been women. Don't let that hold you back, go for it! Go for it!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Some of the best EMTs/medics I've ever seen have been women. Don't let that hold you back, go for it! Go for it!

some have have been women and some have been men and the rest were God. Or at least they thought they were.

OP
OP
L

Liya

Forum Probie
Thanks everyone! =) Oh I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one, I can start school right now =))). But no, seriously, that question always bothered me. My dad is the one who is holding me back, he thinks physically I won't be able to do it, but I'm not that weak: I'm working out. I went to scool for pre meds for 2 years, but couldn't decide what specifically I wanted to do. I just want to help people-save lives, do everything possible, not just one little area (I think I was born to do that). All the paramedics in the area I live are guys, but now they'll have to accept a girl =).

firecoins

IFT Puppet
tell your dad where to stick it.

So Cal EMT

Forum Probie
Remember that you will likely have a partner. I have never heard of someone operating a rig alone. (althought it may happen somewhere) I for one would love to have a female partner. I think it makes for a good balance. Work together as a team and you can leverage each others physical and mental abilities. Its a "partnership" for a reason!!!

I also think its natural that you may find as a woman you are better at handling/taking the lead on certain parts of the job than your male partner. Good luck!!!

imurphy

Forum Captain
Over the years I've worked with male and female partners. Never had a problem with any of the females. Sure, when they start out I have to teach them how to properly lift the strecher in and out, but I have to do that with my male partners too.

Either gender, using good lifting technique is all you need. Once you do that, you're set. When it gets down to treatment of the patient, there's no difference.

The reason you may have seen more male medics in the field would really stem from the late 80's and early 90's when we had to lift the strecher and patient directly onto the rig (anyone remember the York-2's?). But they were differnet times, when it was percieved as a "man's job" and it just took time to change.

In my time I've seen the move from 2 person lifts, to 1 & 1/2 lifts to a powered lift on the back of the rig (Google "Ambulance CEN Europe" to see what I'm talking about!).

So no, it wont hold you back. The only thing that can, is you!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Go for it, and remember, you don't have to act like one of the boys to be one of the boys. Let the boys be boys. You be who you are.

You know, just for the heckuvit, think about this.

Most indigenous Medicine people segregate women who are on their moon (menses) from sacred ceremonies. At first glance you'd think that's highly unfair and discriminatory, but if you look a little deeper you find the roots go back to the understanding that women, through whom new life actually emerges, have power that far surpasses anything the Medicine Man can muster!

To you I say there are things in this job that you, as a woman, will understand and be able to deal with BETTER than a guy. Of course, the same applies on the male side. My point is, don't deny yourself use of the powers that are uniquely yours just because the guys don't get it.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Over the years I've worked with male and female partners. Never had a problem with any of the females. Sure, when they start out I have to teach them how to properly lift the strecher in and out, but I have to do that with my male partners too.

Either gender, using good lifting technique is all you need. Once you do that, you're set. When it gets down to treatment of the patient, there's no difference.

The reason you may have seen more male medics in the field would really stem from the late 80's and early 90's when we had to lift the strecher and patient directly onto the rig (anyone remember the York-2's?). But they were differnet times, when it was percieved as a "man's job" and it just took time to change.

In my time I've seen the move from 2 person lifts, to 1 & 1/2 lifts to a powered lift on the back of the rig (Google "Ambulance CEN Europe" to see what I'm talking about!).

So no, it wont hold you back. The only thing that can, is you!

the york 2's... you mean the thing that resembles a sled more than a stretcher, the thing that has no mechanism to raise it... the thing that has been the bane of existence for the past 2 years due to my misfortune of being hired at american ambulance....... those stretchers?

imurphy

Forum Captain
They're STILL in use!! No way!!

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
unfortunantly, yes.... It is my firm belief that they should all be destroyed.... none shall escape my wrath...

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
My dad is the one who is holding me back, he thinks physically I won't be able to do it, but I'm not that weak: I'm working out.
Tell you dad to get out of the 19th century. This is the 21st century and as a few others have already said, the technology built into MOST stretchers now a days is based on leverage and physics that work with you. And at most, you can always call for lift assistance. On my squad we have 7 paramedics. Three guys and four girls. Four Intermediates, all of them are women. Maybe. . . . . . . 6 more Basics and it's about 1/2 and 1/2.