Paramedic girl or a guy?

OP
OP
L

Liya

Forum Probie
Yep, I have an interesting family :rolleyes: My dad thinks I should become a pharmacist-you know white gown, clean surroundings and so on. I guess that's an image of the perfect child they raised. :) But oh gosh, I can't imagine sitting there all day measuring and remeasuring, that would kill me in a few years. Thanks to you guys, I made my decision. Unfortunately, I can't start school right away :sad: Have to wait 'till next fall, as I got a job now.

Scottpre

Forum Crew Member
Respectfully, the only one who can really hold you back is you (assuming you meet all other job qualifications). If you want to do it, then do it. It's an honorable profession. It's not like you want to be a crack-:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: or something :p

OP
OP
L

Liya

Forum Probie
Respectfully, the only one who can really hold you back is you (assuming you meet all other job qualifications). If you want to do it, then do it.

That is very true. I'm taking my words back, once I told my family I'm going for it no matter what, they're fine with it. They are even helping me to get there :)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
All that said, being small won't stop you from being a medic. But stick to gym, being a little stronger helps. Just for convenience if nothing else. There are some very small girls in my course who struggle to carry the gear and raise the stretchers. Not by any means does that mean they can't, it'd just make their lives easier if they spent some time with a dumbbell.

Don't for a second take that to mean that you might not be able too be paramedic, I just mean, if you're already hitting the gym, keep it up...It will help.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Being a small female will not hold you back, Im a little bigger than I was when I started (thanks to my little bundle of joy) but some of my best days at work are working with another female. I work with a station full of guys (there is only one other active paid female ) and I see no difference in physical ability when I work with a male or female. Except maybe (guys do not take offense to this) that when I work with a female we tend to realize our limitations earlier on in the situation and ask for help. The local FD has helped us out several times, not because we couldnt do it but rather we were doing it smarter and saving our backs.

fiddlesticks

Forum Crew Member
hey i hope you choose being a paramedic. im a small female about 120 lbs and 5'2 and i do fine. mind you there are lifts that i can't do and i will say so not going to hurt me, my partner or the pt . heres a good tip. try and be at the foot end and do the lift in two stages, but always tell your partner this before hand. hope this helps. oh also when you have down time work on lifting with a few of the medics, im sure they would love to help