Paramedic Continuing Education

michael150

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone understand how the assignment to different course topics works? I am a little confused on how we know what component and course topic to assign different classes to. I was thinking about using the JBLearning platform as I can import CAPCE credit classes in, but things like a PALS recertification does not tell you what specific course components to apply it to. Is there a maximum? I tried to apply my whole PALS to the cardiovascular course topic, as it says on the grid provided for NCCP 2016 that it is pediatric cardiac arrest and can be applied, but it says that applying my whole 5.75 hours will "exceed the maximum". Anyone have any tips? This will be my first time recertifying.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I never really figured out how the CME stuff works, and can't be bothered to spend a bunch of time doing it.

My tip is that "recert by exam" is a thing - if you're willing to shell out $125 you can just retake the NREMT and call it a day.

But maybe it's worth the trouble to figure out if your employer is offering free CME.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Your agency training officer should be able to assign it. I try to have my crews con ed fully completed 6 months prior to recertification time.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Your agency training officer should be able to assign it. I try to have my crews con ed fully completed 6 months prior to recertification time.
Man, that's generous.
I've never worked for an agency that took care of my NREMT recert for me. Sweet deal.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Is there a maximum? I tried to apply my whole PALS to the cardiovascular course topic, as it says on the grid provided for NCCP 2016 that it is pediatric cardiac arrest and can be applied, but it says that applying my whole 5.75 hours will "exceed the maximum". Anyone have any tips? This will be my first time recertifying.
NR renewals are a huge pain in the butt if your con ed does not line up with the NR standards. They are less of a pain even if they do line up, if your training officer hasn't figured out what classes go where.

to answer your first question, yes, there is a maximum number of hours you can use for each section, and it's on the grid.

As for general tips, ask your training officer. IIRC, they need to sign off on your renewal, and much of their job is simply verifying you attending the classes you are putting in the grid. They should also know what topics go where, or at least be able to point you in the right directions.

OP
OP
M

michael150

Forum Crew Member
I would love to say I have one, but I don’t have a training officer and I’m moving from being an in-hospital medic into kind of a dual role of both... I’m thinking about just recertifying by just taking the test because this is such a huge mess.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
FOAMfrat just put out an on-line refresher that hits all the topics, hours, and requirements for new live instructor. It's cheap and it's all up to date and evidence based stuff so not terribly painful. I hate hate hate trying to navigate the NR system and their seemingly constant changing of how and whats required to recert.

I did take the exam two years ago.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I did DistanceCME, which also covers all of the NCCP model NRP topics.

If I’m being honest? I selected all of the sections on the online portion of topics covered because the course gave me an outline of the topics covered.

I figured they want to make it this difficult to figure out, they can sort through what I paid to cover.

I’m just waiting for my training department/ medical director to approve the online portion of it. But yes, the NR sure makes it easy for people to want to recert by exam. Conspiracy much?...🤔

VentMonkey

Family Guy
FOAMfrat just put out an on-line refresher that hits all the topics, hours, and requirements for new live instructor. It's cheap and it's all up to date and evidence based stuff so not terribly painful.
I’m looking to them and FBE for my next go round since it also covers FP-C recert materials.

OP
OP
M

michael150

Forum Crew Member
FOAMfrat just put out an on-line refresher that hits all the topics, hours, and requirements for new live instructor. It's cheap and it's all up to date and evidence based stuff so not terribly painful. I hate hate hate trying to navigate the NR system and their seemingly constant changing of how and whats required to recert.

I did take the exam two years ago.

So with the FOAMfrat, the online $12.99 a month one says that it only gives 25 hours but also says that it meets the NR and is 60? Am I missing something?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
So with the FOAMfrat, the online $12.99 a month one says that it only gives 25 hours but also says that it meets the NR and is 60? Am I missing something?

It it a little confusing but it looks like they have two courses: one self-study and one live to meet the full requirements including the live component. There's also a contact button on their site, so you could ask them directly.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

Check out this link: https://www.flightbridgeed.com/index.php/online-courses

Gives a breakdown of all their courses. You can purchase monthly, or the entire package. I got in on the ground level when they announced it and paid 119.00 but got the entire package with Distributive and Live learning which covers everything to my knowledge. It's certainly confusing IMO who NR has things setup now, even more so than before. I most likely had enough CE stuff without it, but like to brush up on certain things and traditionally do a crappy job at tracking and managing my CE so just figured I would bang this out and toss in some of my other stuff to be at/above the requirement.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Check out this link: https://www.flightbridgeed.com/index.php/online-courses

Gives a breakdown of all their courses. You can purchase monthly, or the entire package. I got in on the ground level when they announced it and paid 119.00 but got the entire package with Distributive and Live learning which covers everything to my knowledge. It's certainly confusing IMO who NR has things setup now, even more so than before. I most likely had enough CE stuff without it, but like to brush up on certain things and traditionally do a crappy job at tracking and managing my CE so just figured I would bang this out and toss in some of my other stuff to be at/above the requirement.
Did Eric pay you to say that?

Just kidding. I know a lot of people that like Flightbridge.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Did Eric pay you to say that?

Just kidding. I know a lot of people that like Flightbridge.

Haha I don't know him personally, and I actually just kinda stumbled across it via an advertisement on Facebook I believe. I have never been a big Podcast guy, more of a hard copy magazine reader, so this is the first time I am trying something online and it's evidence based stuff vs. the outdated in person refreshers we have here locally.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Haha I don't know him personally, and I actually just kinda stumbled across it via an advertisement on Facebook I believe. I have never been a big Podcast guy, more of a hard copy magazine reader, so this is the first time I am trying something online and it's evidence based stuff vs. the outdated in person refreshers we have here locally.
Oh yeah- Eric is legit and he’s a good dude on top of that. He taught my vent training class at orientation for Air Methods some years ago. He’s big on the EBM and the flight med/critical care side of the house. Leading edge type of stuff.
I hear that congratulations are in order for him as he is an incoming member of the board of directors for the IAFCCP. Good stuff.
I have not taken his FlightBridgeEd courses but anything put out by him is surely a reliable solid product.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I hear that congratulations are in order for him as he is an incoming member of the board of directors for the IAFCCP. Good stuff.
Indeed he got my vote. Afterall, I feel he’s earned it. It also served as a reminder to renew my membership. Was much more reasonably priced than I recalled.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Double tap

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Indeed he got my vote. Afterall, I feel he’s earned it. It also served as a reminder to renew my membership. Was much more reasonably priced than I recalled.
Yeah I recently re-upped and started getting more involved. $85 isn’t bad, so long as they keep working on EMS advocacy and upping the educational standards.