Paramedic Book

EMTelite

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys whats up... I am looking for a Paramedic course book that would give me a good understanding of the subjects that will be covered in Paramedic school so that I can study it while I am waiting for calls anyone have any good ideas

Thanks

medic417

The Truth Provider
Which ever book your Paramedic course will use is the one you should buy. I do suggest you have access to all 3 major texts so you can make sure you get proper understanding. One book may make sense on some points but be confusing on others, when confused consult the others and usually it will clear it up.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I personally would avoid any course that uses only one text such Brady or Caroline's. Unless there are several other supplemental texts associated with it, then it would appear it might be a Mickey Mouse course.

R/r 911

BorderDog

Forum Probie
You'll get plenty of time reading whatever textbook the course uses. For me reading Dubin's EKG book, Pathophysiology Made Easy, and a paramedic drug book/cards were a great help before going to school. I'd also get a good A&P book.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwright367

Forum Ride Along
I can only give you advice on cardiology based books, since that is what I am teaching now. If you want a quick and easy EKG book, try Understanding EKG's by Brenda M. Beasley. Its short and to the point and teaches you a good baseline on interpreting rhythm strips. I also like Basic Arrhythmias by Gail Walraven. It has a ton of strips in the back of the book to practice and after each chapter there is a huge list of questions to answer to see how well you understood the material. Bob Page has an awesome 12 lead book. He gets a little deep off into the axis deviation, but like the Beasley book, its short and to the point and easy to read. I absolutely hate the 4 billion page Essentials book. It is impossibly heavy and hard to read. There are probably other books that are out there that are better, but those are the ones I have read. Good luck with school.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Well in my program we start with a EMT-Basic book, and then the second semester we move on to a Paramedic book for EMT-I stuff. You wont use just one book.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I would actually get an A&P or pathophysiology book. If you haven't already done some significant A&P. Even if you have, getting a pathophysiology text with a clinical focus is a better idea than a paramedic text per se. Plug a few of those terms into 'google books' and have a bit of a look around.

Everything you learn in school will make sense faster and stick in your head better if you already understand the underlying reasons why it happens/why you use the treatment that you do. Plus, IMHO, I have yet to read a "Paramedic Textbook" worth the paper it was printed on. Still, all the paramedic texts are American, which presents problems for me that it would obviously not present for you.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
All we have used so far is the Brady Paramedic text.... which I find not to be all that in-depth. I spend a lot of time online researching and filling in the voids of the textbook. The Mosby book is a little better I think.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Our class initially requires the Caroline book, Walraven's Basic Arrhythmias, Dubin's Rapid Interpretation and the ACLS providers Manual. I'm sure there will be more.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well in my program we start with a EMT-Basic book, and then the second semester we move on to a Paramedic book for EMT-I stuff. You wont use just one book.

Actually there are many schools that just use one textbook for Paramedic class.

R/r 911

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Hey guys whats up... I am looking for a Paramedic course book that would give me a good understanding of the subjects that will be covered in Paramedic school so that I can study it while I am waiting for calls anyone have any good ideas

Unless you have a lot of money, I would suggest waiting on purchasing the Paramedic textbooks until you know which one is used. My suggestion is you study up on your anatomy & physiology, medical terminology, and pharmacology.

My paramedic school required:
Mosby's Paramedic Textbook
Mosby's ECG's made easy
AHA BLS textbook
AHA ACLS textbook
AHA PALS textbook
PHTLS textbook
Pharmacology for the Prehospital Provider
Prehospital Anatomy & Physiology
The Street Medic's Handbook

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

Thanks

Essentials of Paramedic Care by Bledsoe, Porter, Cherry. It is a Brady book and a good one. I found typos and errors too frequent in the AAOS / Caroline Medic text. Mosby is supposed to have a new text but I haven't looked at it yet. Mosby's ACLS is also good text for new students.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
i bought an anatomy/physioogy book to review before my class started. our main text is essentials of paramedic care by bledsoe, and we are required numerous other supplemental texts. i'd also recommend rapid ekg interpretation by dale dubin

audreyj

Forum Probie
We use a Brady book, it's a 5 volume series with workbooks and it's by Bledsoe, Cherry and Porter. I've noticed that they have some chapters they could easily break down in to smaller chapters, Vol 2 ch 2 and Vol 1 ch 8 come to mind for any who has these books.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The medic program I went to used the Mosby's medic book for primary, we also needed ACLS, PEPP, PALS, PHTLS, and a Nursing Pharmacology book.

And before anyone says anything about A&P, the minimum requirement was A&P for non-majors, but most of my class (including me) took A&P I & II through the college that our medic program was at.