Outside EMS?

ellexruth

whatever it takes
What do you guys like to do for hobbies/leisure outside of EMS? I like to play music / video games, learn languages and read. :D I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for this question.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We love to camp. I always have
music playing, I read both fiction and non, I'm finishing a degree so I study a lot. I spend time with my family and DO NOT answer the phone when people from work call me on my days off. :)

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Not much haha I like hiking, movies, going and watching live shows at local bars/lounges. I honestly need a hobby of my own or a side gig to keep me entertained but I want something not in medical field just to do for fun.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have people whom I am friendly with at work. I do not have work friends who I hang with outside of work. Employing and practicing this over the years has been a huge service to myself and my own mental well being. Yes, we have odd hours, odd shifts, work on holidays, etc...however it is completely possible to have a friendship base which has nothing to do with Emergency Services in any way. To say otherwise is to make excuses in my opinion.

As for hobbies, I too self study languages, absolutely love this. I read a lot of non-fiction, I will read maybe 5 decent fiction novels a year. I self taught guitar for a few years (thanks YouTube), ride my motorcycle, study politics and rant on FB and other outlets about that (true story), and continue to refine my slow but steady plan of world domination. I also play a lot of poker and travel for that endeavor, but I have transitioned from rec player to semi pro (meaning I earn money doing it, but its not my FT gig).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I read comic books. I travel (although lately it's been to EMS conferences), and spend time with family. I'm in grad school, and working on completing my graduate certificate. and I work 3 public safety related jobs, but none of them involve being on an ambulance (and they all pay better than being on an ambulance).

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I shoot competitively. Sometimes at mid range distances from 200-1000 yards and other competitions it will be less than 25 yards but there will be more pressure to go fast and make accurate hits on obscured targets. Other than that I’ll read and cook.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I work too much. But when not at work I'm either studying (though I do this at work mostly), playing with my kiddos, spending time with my wife, or sleeping. Someday I'll have hobbies again but right now my family is my focus of spare time.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
I collect coins and medals, still looking for my niche there. And I started to play the banjo for a creative outlet.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Walk with my dog; (helped me lose 50lbs) hike with him when it is warmer.
Go exploring in the desert in my truck and with my metal detector.

Go for long drives in the summer with wife and dog

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hunting, fishing, family are pretty much my entire life outside of work. I'll probably eventually add school back into the mix.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Shed gnar all day. Love to ski, also am an average mountain biker.

My friends locally are pretty split between EMS and not. When I ride bikes with other medics we talk about all sorts of stuff, work included. None of us have been doing it for long enough to feel like total rockstars so it's nice to get some validation that you aren't a complete moron. I have a Friday happy hour group with a bunch of teachers that is a hoot, I think we are sort of cut from the same cloth and face a lot of similar work challenges.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking, and weightlifting are my big things outside of work.

OP
OP
ellexruth

ellexruth

whatever it takes
We love to camp. I always have
music playing, I read both fiction and non, I'm finishing a degree so I study a lot. I spend time with my family and DO NOT answer the phone when people from work call me on my days off. :)

Oh cool what instruments do you play?

OP
OP
ellexruth

ellexruth

whatever it takes
I have people whom I am friendly with at work. I do not have work friends who I hang with outside of work. Employing and practicing this over the years has been a huge service to myself and my own mental well being. Yes, we have odd hours, odd shifts, work on holidays, etc...however it is completely possible to have a friendship base which has nothing to do with Emergency Services in any way. To say otherwise is to make excuses in my opinion.

As for hobbies, I too self study languages, absolutely love this. I read a lot of non-fiction, I will read maybe 5 decent fiction novels a year. I self taught guitar for a few years (thanks YouTube), ride my motorcycle, study politics and rant on FB and other outlets about that (true story), and continue to refine my slow but steady plan of world domination. I also play a lot of poker and travel for that endeavor, but I have transitioned from rec player to semi pro (meaning I earn money doing it, but its not my FT gig).
I work too much. But when not at work I'm either studying (though I do this at work mostly), playing with my kiddos, spending time with my wife, or sleeping. Someday I'll have hobbies again but right now my family is my focus of spare time.

Hey nothing wrong with that. Family first

I love studying languages (and music / video games / reading / watching documentaries / drawing) because those activities keep my brain engaged (vs. watching Netflix or something -- which is awesome, it's just almost painful for me if it's not something I'm super intrigued by).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Cooking with my wife, watching Jeopardy! and pretending I’m smort, running, swimming, gym ratting, watching a good movie, trips with the family. Pretty normal, uneventful dad stuff.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Cooking with my wife, watching Jeopardy! and pretending I’m smort, running, swimming, gym ratting, watching a good movie, trips with the family. Pretty normal, uneventful dad stuff.
so very smort

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I am getting into woodworking (building furniture) which probably isn't the best idea considering I measure twice, cut once, say "****" repeatedly as I'm driving back to the hardware store.

Other than that I'm outdoors quite often; hunting, fishing, camping... that sort of thing.

Monday

Forum Probie
Studying, volunteering, teaching kids, writing, other terribly artsy creative activities, photography, camping, martial arts, meditative stuff.

Not much a gamer and times I used to craft more are long past, but needing to keep things level with art and sloow moves stayed.