Ouch! Oww! Waahh!

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I went skiing in Mammoth last week and *i know I'm stupid* I forgot my sunscreen. Needless to say it was the most painful thing I ever felt. I came home with second degree burns all over my face. I looked like I had boiling water poured on me. When I went to the ER because my heart was feeling "fluttery" and I felt really sick, the dr got every doctor in the whole place to come look at me and take pics because they hadnt seen sunburns that bad before. (Arrrggg teaching hospitals) I am still recovering now and can finally sleep without vicodin... yay! My dermatologist gave me huge lecture because of my history of melanoma, but who even thinks of sunscreen in the snow?!?!? (keep in mind I have seen very little snow living in southern ca)

Keep your fingers crossed that this heals with no permanent damage. :unsure:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Ouch... I feel your pain. I used to burn easily - now I'm anal about sunscreen whenever I'm outside, even in the winter. I get cute lil tans now. :)

PS - This is you :wub: without the hearts... ;)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
OWW!! I'm glad you're feeling better. I would have been worried about windburn, you don't think about sunscreen too much in the snow.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
OWW!! Sorry to hear that.

The problem with snow, is the same problem we have with the sand here...

The sun reflects up off it and it is that much more intense because of it. Kind of like holding a mirror under the sun.

Hope you feel better soon....

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jun 1 2005, 08:15 AM
Ouch... I feel your pain. I used to burn easily - now I'm anal about sunscreen whenever I'm outside, even in the winter. I get cute lil tans now. :)

PS - This is you :wub: without the hearts... ;)
That would be me if the hearts were little !%^#@!!!!'s :p

ECC

Forum Captain
As a direct, unmolested descendant of the Irish, I am very white. I have to be very careful about tanning and sunscreen. Especially now that I am folically challenged (crew cut hides it pretty well).

Sunscreen is your friend! Say it often and bring it everywhere!

ECC

Forum Captain
They say anything over 30 is misleading...but what do I know???...I use 30 myself!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
My 50/50 Irish/English skin is about as white as you can get.. even SPF50 doesn't do a good enough job for me. I can either use my prescription sun block, or cover my skin w/ clothing. In all of my fire gear, jumpsuits, etc for the summer you'll find a bottle of sun block and another of WaterJel burn ointment. I didn't burn bad till I was like 15 when my freckles went away.. and oh boy did I learn the hard way. :blink: I couldn't even move, it was horrible; one minute I was freezing; the next I had a really high fever.. damn sun. no more speedo on the beach! :D

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Gotta be careful at Mammoth because of the altitude too. I think its, what, 11,000 up on the mountain?

Hope you feel better.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm German/Irish/Scotch/English- you know, 4 shades of pasty. Physically unable to tan more or less- I get this nice toasty brown color, but it fades within 24 hrs. :angry:

But when I do get burned I wind up going into an allergic reaction. I have this weird form of angioedema whereby any sort of trauma to my skin gets all fired up into urticaria and starts to itch really horribly. Normally takes a shot of epi and some benadryl (or Atarax, which taste kind of peppery :lol: ) and some steroids to get it to stop.

I've been a teaching case on no less than 5 occasions including making the chief of dermatology at National Naval Medical Center (Bethesda) go "Holy ****...that's the worst I've ever seen." Mind you this guy was a captain in the Navy (O-6) and had been a dermatologist 20+ years....countless photos and a few dozen medical students and residents later I finally got to go home. I like to say I'm a "practicing professional allergic" who has dedicated his life to the support of any company who produces discount diphenhydramine and the amazement, amusement and education of medical professionals. :lol: :lol:

ECC

Forum Captain
I get poison ivy like that...I do not go to the ER any more for that (convience when I was in NY...go in complain to the attending...get my shots and a scrip), but when I did...boy they wanted pictures and everything. I never have seen anything like it either!

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I think I had a touch of altitude sickness too because we only went up for one day, so my body had no time to adjust to anything. I will never do that again.... I have learnt my lesson.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by CodeSurfer@Jun 1 2005, 09:34 PM
I think I had a touch of altitude sickness too because we only went up for one day, so my body had no time to adjust to anything. I will never do that again.... I have learnt my lesson.
Normally the altitude doesn't bother me, but I had a fairly minor cold last Labor Day when we went to Mammoth, and I felt like crap the entire weekend.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm 50% Norwegian, 50% Italian. Blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin. Until I get a nice sunscreen protected base coat, then I tan and get all golden brown. :)

Luno

OG
Premium Member
God, all you sickly pale people, thank god for genetics, I tan dark, quickly, and if I burn, it's very slight. It's bein' half hawaiian. ;) Just wanted to rub it in....

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Luno@Jun 3 2005, 08:43 PM
God, all you sickly pale people, thank god for genetics, I tan dark, quickly, and if I burn, it's very slight. It's bein' half hawaiian. ;) Just wanted to rub it in....
To quote Goethe: "Du kannst mich mal am Arsch lecken".

In English for you non-Deutsch-sprechers out there:
"You sir, can lick my a--" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by usafmedic45@Jun 4 2005, 12:37 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

actually ROTFLMFFAO!

OP
OP
C

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by ECC+Jun 4 2005, 01:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ Jun 4 2005, 01:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-usafmedic45@Jun 4 2005, 12:37 AM

actually ROTFLMFFAO! [/b][/quote]
Whats the extra "F" for?

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by CodeSurfer+Jun 5 2005, 08:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CodeSurfer @ Jun 5 2005, 08:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ECC@Jun 4 2005, 01:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-usafmedic45
@Jun 4 2005, 12:37 AM

"You sir, can lick my a--"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

actually ROTFLMFFAO!
Whats the extra "F" for? [/b][/quote]
Give it some thought...you will come up with it.