Organ Donation?

Are you an Organ Donor?

• Total voters

mushin_042

Forum Ride Along
Of course I am! I ride a motorcycle and it would ruin the stereotype if I wasn't!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I suggested mine go to Mythbusters...

..or one of those road shows.
Seriously, they can pick and choose, preferably us eme up. To bad as prospective donors we aren't registered detailing our occupation and health histories, where we lived, allergies etc. to make our postmortem work more complete.
Ditton on the blood donation, last thing a recipient needs is a blast of beta blockers on top of the other junk banked blood carries in minute quantities.

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
IMO, once they see Organ Donor, they give up too soon. To each their own.
I have never hear that. I used to volunteer for many years at The Lions Eye Bank for Long Island as a transporter of eye and organ tissue. I always thought religious reasons would be the most common reason for not filling out "the form."

Annually, the dedication dinner would provide video messages or guest speakers of the recipients of the special gift. Hearing stories of people seeing their children for the first time in years was heart warming and fulfilling.

I suppose you can guess what my driver's license has noted.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
though after everything I have put my body threw thus far, i dont know how much I will be worth to someone lol

MCGLYNN_EMTP

Forum Crew Member
The reason I got into EMS in the first place was to help people...Why not help them some more by being an organ donor..HELL YEAH IM ONE

Foxbat

Forum Captain
As well, having that organ donor card may help your loved ones through the process of removing your body from life support especially if "cardiac death" might be used rather than "brain death" as a criteria for removal.
There are different criteria for removing life support for donors vs. non-donors?

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
There are different criteria for removing life support for donors vs. non-donors?

Not anywhere I know of. It's more that loved ones sometimes find it psychologically comforting to know that others will be helped, which makes the decision to say goodbye and withdraw life support in non-recoverable cases easier.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

They are still donors by consent either by their card or their family.

Brain death had been the standard criteria to begin organ procurement.

The cardiac death is another way for organ procurement to be achieved whereas before only brain death could be the criteria. Cardiac death is controversial and it was thought to be useful for pediatrics and neonates. Also, some legislation is written where one can be willingly euthanized, such as in the case of a ventilator dependent quadriplegic, and their organs donated.

This article explains cardiac death and organ procurement.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/3/209

Last edited by a moderator:

wvditchdoc

Forum Crew Member
Yes I am........

dewd09

Forum Crew Member
I see it as "oh look, he's an organ donor, lets give up, and just chop him up.

Being asked why I don't want the free organ donor sticker on my license, offends me. IMO, the DMV shouldn't be allowed to ask. If you want it, you'd check the box. If you don't, you don't check the box and that should be the final word.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Being asked why I don't want the free organ donor sticker on my license, offends me. IMO, the DMV shouldn't be allowed to ask. If you want it, you'd check the box. If you don't, you don't check the box and that should be the final word.

I think it all depends on who's asking and how. If it's some random employee trying to convince you, it's rude. Where your stuff goes is nobody's business but yours... and the IRS's, if it's your money.

But if they're trying to gather data on who's a donor and what crazy myths they might've bought into, it becomes a lot more valid. It's not like you have to explain.

itku2er

Forum Probie
I feel like many of you all do when I am dead I will not need them anymore so yeah if it can save someones life I am all for it. My 20 yo son is a donor also and when my 16 yo turns 18 he has already made the comment that he will be also.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
I see it as "oh look, he's an organ donor, lets give up, and just chop him up.

Most teams work someone who is a donor that they normally wouldn't actually work, or work longer on someone.

thedawg6

Forum Ride Along
From a purely utilitarian point of view organ donation is an enormous waste of time and money. Recipients usually (not always, but usually) never return to any kind of meaningful employment and thus represent nothing more than a huge burden on society due to the immense cost involved in the procedure and the equally immense cost of the life-long medication regimen they must follow. We all bear that cost through insurance premiums or taxation, and the recipient contributes nothing to society on the whole.

Would I want one of my family members to recieve an organ should they need it? Of course! Just saying is all...

I'll happily donate my cadaver so the next generation can learn. And admire my tattoos.

Would love to see some published material to back up your claim. And if something happened and you needed a transplant would your view change or would you fall into the "never return to any kind of meaningful employment and thus represent nothing more than a huge burden on society due to the immense cost involved in the procedure and the equally immense cost of the life-long medication regimen they must follow"

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I am a donor, even before I got into ems, However I never really thought much about cadaver donation. I plan on being creamated anyway. I will have to look into that, I am not even sure where I would go to look into that, anyone with any info would be great.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I am a donor, even before I got into ems, However I never really thought much about cadaver donation. I plan on being creamated anyway. I will have to look into that, I am not even sure where I would go to look into that, anyone with any info would be great.

Here's a simple article to get you started. :)