Opinion: Should states limit entry into EMT B/Paramedic courses?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Knock it off or become the focus of my complete and undivided attention.

Last chance to get back on topic and stay there.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Absolutely, they should limit it, or at least make it a little tougher to get into the class. Ideally, we should all have much higher education, expanded scopes, and higher wages. But how many times have we repeated that one before.

My EMT instructor said he would not pass us at the end of the course if he didn't feel comfortable with one of us showing up if one of his family members called 911.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Absolutely, they should limit it, or at least make it a little tougher to get into the class.

How do you go about making to tougher to get into an entry level class? The MCAT is one thing, MDs are looking at years of schooling. But how do you "weed out" someone from a 120 hour class? The obvious answer is make the class longer than that (or however long it is your state, it is still not long enough).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Absolutely, they should limit it, or at least make it a little tougher to get into the class. Ideally, we should all have much higher education, expanded scopes, and higher wages. But how many times have we repeated that one before.

My EMT instructor said he would not pass us at the end of the course if he didn't feel comfortable with one of us showing up if one of his family members called 911.

I've had instructors tell me that before as well yet people who had no business working on another human being still passed.

As for expanding the scope, I think education needs to be increased with the same scope before they further increase it and increase the scope but that's just my opinion. Baby steps.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
I've had instructors tell me that before as well yet people who had no business working on another human being still passed.

Unfortunately I think that instructors for most college based programs have almost no say in who passes and who doesn't. If someone can make good enough grades and check off during skills testing, then they are good to go even if they have no business working on another human being.

To be honest, I think Paramedic should be the first real level of EMS and should require a 2 year degree. Then I think there should be a level above Paramedic that requires and 4 year degree and has an expanded scope of practice. I feel that a combination of those should make up the bulk of units, with an additional unit or two staffed with at least one MD/PA/NP on-board.

With all that being said however, with salaries as low as they are already, no company or municipality/county would be able to afford to staff all of those people so I really feel that it is a moot point.