Online EMT cert?

FirefighterMatt

Forum Ride Along
I hope this topic isn't redundant, but...

Does anyone know of any institutions that have online EMT basic certification programs? Atleast for the classroom material, obviously I would have to do the practical skills in person.

I am currently an EMR, so most of this stuff would not be new, but just covered more extensively.

I'm hoping in particular for an NREMT basic cert.

I found a place on google that is in CA that does an "EMT boot camp". It's 2 weeks for NREMT basic., 12 hours a day, 14 days. This would also be a good alternative but it is in CA and I am near Memphis.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had a buddy that went to the CA EMT boot camp. He liked it but said it was almost too much to grasp in two weeks. I personally don't think you can learn EMT skills without classroom instruction but thats just me.

15 seconds max...
http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20478&highlight=online

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
He's been on a wildland crew for 3 years and just went to the structure side of it. He had to get his basic before his interview. So a little but more on the fire side than EMS.

He told me that if he hadn't needed it right then and there he would have rather gone to a regular B class.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
my suggestion would be to take a regular Basic class. I have a good grasp on my current skills bt, two weeks really couldnt even scratch the surface IMHO. Its up you though, if you think you could learn in that amount of time GO FOR IT!, whatever your decision Good luck.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
We had 18 hours a week (2 days/wk) of class for two months with about 3 chapters to read between classes. That was crazy intense. I can hardly imagine trying to stuff all that material into 2 weeks.

My instructor says he has taught a 1 month class, but the students really didn't have enough time to do the readings. That was like 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, with 100+ pages of reading a night.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
take the time to do it right and go to a regular in person class. Online, so called '' boot camps'' aren't going to tech you how to be a good basic. They are like puppy mills, you'll get a dog, but it is going to have tons of problems. Frankly online and boot camps should be ban. There is a reason they won't be able to sit for registry in the future.

medic417

The Truth Provider
There is a reason they won't be able to sit for registry in the future.

Really can you post that update?

There is nothing to keep them from getting accredited. The two I posted are in the process. Online programs when done right will teach you as well if not better than most regular courses. It takes a very self disciplined student to succeed.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
I'll look for the link, but As of 2013, only graduates of a nationally accredited program can sit for registery.

There is no way an online program can put out as good of an EMT as a tradional school. What about clinicals or labs? I cant show you a video of an IV and expect you to know how to do it after waching the video. You need the hands on experience. I woudlnt want a doctor who went to an online school, why would I want a EMT or paramedic who has never touched a patient or done a live IV stick.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'll look for the link, but As of 2013, only graduates of a nationally accredited program can sit for registery.

There is no way an online program can put out as good of an EMT as a tradional school. What about clinicals or labs? I cant show you a video of an IV and expect you to know how to do it after waching the video. You need the hands on experience. I woudlnt want a doctor who went to an online school, why would I want a EMT or paramedic who has never touched a patient or done a live IV stick.

I do believe that's only for EMT-P. I'll double check though.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
its not, its for any registery test. I will find the link when I get home and post it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Even then, how do you expect to pass a practical exam if you have never done a pt assessment? I went over my trauma and medical assessments over and over and over again and still don't have them as well as I would like.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Ummm online is just the book part my friend even medical school offers many lectures online. Then you attend hands on clinical and labs. The better online programs require more research than most standard classes so you actually go deeper into many subjects so education wise if you have enough self discipline to finish you come out ahead. Really a better term for online courses would be a hybrid course as they actually mix classroom and lab clinicals.

As to the 2013 accreditation. It will not change EMS as any school that has a few thousand dollars can pay the fee and meet the minimum requirements no problem. www.percomonline.com and www.techproservices.net are both in the process as are most other lesser online and even standard classes including the diploma mills. It is just a false rumor that accreditation is making a big change in EMS education.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Even then, how do you expect to pass a practical exam if you have never done a pt assessment? I went over my trauma and medical assessments over and over and over again and still don't have them as well as I would like.

Again you do hands on labs and clinicals. See above post and many others in many other discussions on online education.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
Ummm online is just the book part my friend even medical school offers many lectures online.

Having online lectures and offering a medic program online are two dfferent things.
I dont have a problem with online lectures being used, my problem is with medic programs that say you can go to school onlne, come and have 1 day of labs every few months (if that) and think you are going to be a half decent paramedic. Not going to happen.
Even the sites you provided look like medic mills to me. Take you time learning this data and come for labs every 3 months for 3 days?! If they get approved I have to admit that will change my mind about NREMT accredation process. There is no way that should be accredated.

I mean think of lawyers, the ABA doesnt allow online schools to sit for the bar, and they dont even have to touch people.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Having online lectures and offering a medic program online are two dfferent things.
I dont have a problem with online lectures being used, my problem is with medic programs that say you can go to school onlne, come and have 1 day of labs every few months (if that) and think you are going to be a half decent paramedic. Not going to happen.
Even the sites you provided look like medic mills to me. Take you time learning this data and come for labs every 3 months for 3 days?! If they get approved I have to admit that will change my mind about NREMT accredation process. There is no way that should be accredated.

I mean think of lawyers, the ABA doesnt allow online schools to sit for the bar, and they dont even have to touch people.

The online provides really as much hands on class time as most standard programs. They just do a bunch at one time rather than a few minutes each class. They also have more actual skills required to be performed for clinicals than many standard classes rather than just focusing on clinical hours. I have worked with many from the schools I mentioned and have not been disappointed. In fact they are usually better than even those coming out of the college programs.

If online should not be accredited then no program that does not lead to a college degree should be allowed. But if you look at the current list of accredited schools nationwide you will find many diploma mills already on it.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
www.trainingdivision.com

Another very well put together online EMS academy, I did not go to it my self but have met quite a few people who have who are very informed. They are based out of DFW, TX.

I completed most of my bachelors degree online and am now currently studying to become certified as a PA. Most decent online schools are just as tough if not tougher than traditional classroom type environments. As medic said they require a significant amount of dedication and self disciplined person to complete a degree online. There is nothing easy about online classes contrary to the typical ignorant stereotype.

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant