OKC Johntv vid -A suspected street prostitute treated suspiciously by EMS

Dr.T

Forum Probie
That's just sad and a disgrace to all medical professionals out there.
I won't even talk about the LEOs. So sad :sad:
Why do some EMS workers even wonder why they get so little credit for what they do.....

DPM

Forum Captain
That's sad. I'm on my phone so I can't really see, but she looked pretty dead to me. That said, it looked like the bystander 'figured that out' and told the Police, who told Fire, who told EMS and no one actually checked...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Looked dead to you? I doubt it's EMSA policy to move dead bodies, especially if police think it may be a crime. Plus, granted I didn't touch, but she looked awfully too flexible for rigor to have set in, especially since it was likely a cold early morning as evidenced by the jackets and job shirts.

Anjel

Forum Angel
That's awful.

Did anyone even check a pulse or respirations?

And if someone started taking pictures I would want to break the phone into little peices.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
A highly drunk person can appear lifeless to a bystander from a distance away. the two first responds seemed to have a attitude of "oh just another drunk" . It would be unfair to judge the ambulance responding due to the fact that they loaded the pt as soon as they they arrived and assessed the scene. and we dont know know they treated the pt once loaded.
just my two cents worth.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
It is clear in the video that she is assessed including a BP, SpO2, and being placed on the very visible LP12. The FF/Medic is also seen clearly palpating a radial pulse. One of the cops appears to feel for a carotid while the engine is pulling up.

I expect the general public to be careless in their analysis of the video, but other EMTs and medics jumping to stupid conclusions? Kind of pathetic.

The only thing glaringly questionable is the EMT and the cop taking a pic with the cell phone.

Anjel

Forum Angel
It is clear in the video that she is assessed including a BP, SpO2, and being placed on the very visible LP12. The FF/Medic is also seen clearly palpating a radial pulse. One of the cops appears to feel for a carotid while the engine is pulling up.

I expect the general public to be careless in their analysis of the video, but other EMTs and medics jumping to stupid conclusions? Kind of pathetic.

The only thing glaringly questionable is the EMT and the cop taking a pic with the cell phone.

I saw a monitor placed at her feet. Didnt see anyone turn it on or place leads. Or apply a BP cuff. I saw a cop kick her with his foot. Not too sure what you were watching.

Now what I can see happening is all that was edited out. But I didnt see any of what you said.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I saw a monitor placed at her feet. Didnt see anyone turn it on or place leads. Or apply a BP cuff. I saw a cop kick her with his foot. Not too sure what you were watching.

Now what I can see happening is all that was edited out. But I didnt see any of what you said.

Watch it again. Carefully. (Or do you want me to put the times down for you so you don't have to put forth the effort?) You do not see the BP cuff get applied, but again, this video is heavily edited.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Watch it again. Carefully. (Or do you want me to put the times down for you so you don't have to put forth the effort?) You do not see the BP cuff get applied, but again, this video is heavily edited.

No need to be rude.

Im just saying I didnt see it. Ill watch again.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
No need to be rude.

Im just saying I didnt see it. Ill watch again.

Well, I'd argue there is plenty of reason to be rude when someone within a "profession" fails to scrutinize a video of a colleague, jump to a conclusion, and then publicly question the actions of that colleague. The general public is already great at doing just that, just read the comments on the video on youtube. I think medics and emts deserve a little more benefit-of-the-doubt from other medics and emts; we shouldn't be so quick to judge each other based on what is said or shown in the media (especially some guy who calls himself the "video vigilante").

Anjel

Forum Angel
Still not seeing a reason to be rude.

I was more talking about the actions of police and fire. From what I saw. Even said im sure treatment could of been edited out.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, I'd argue there is plenty of reason to be rude ...
No, there is no need to be rude.
Rules said:
We take the "Be Polite" rule VERY seriously! We consider it our "First Rule". We do not tolerate ANY rudeness, profane or offensive language whatsoever. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be suspended or banned.
It is clear in the video that she is assessed including a BP, SpO2, and being placed on the very visible LP12.
I wouldn't say it was clear. I did not see any of it the first time I watched. I saw the BP cuff the second time, but didn't see the SpO2 until the third time, and I had to look very hard. In fact, it was clear until I watched the HD version on full screen.

As for the "being placed on the very visible LP12", do you mean the actual leads being placed on her? Cause I didn't see any, even on the HD version, and when they moved her to the cot there were no leads dangling.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Which very well could be agency issued cell phones and within policy to take photos with said phones. Oh look, my last 2 agencies allowed such photos, and provided phones for it!

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Wow, just, wow, the level of professionalism here is appalling. I can already see this video causing headaches for the OCFD, OCPD and EMSA. Im just going to keep my opinions to myself on this one.

Edit: Watched the unedited version, she is very much alive and responds when the officer pinches her jaw.

here is the link to the raw footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj-YKF-ukVk&feature=player_embedded#!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
He only said it's questionable. I am sure there are a lot of agencies still behind time.

Anjel

Forum Angel
After seeing the unedited version I take back how appalled I was. But still say it could of been handled a lot better.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wow, just, wow, the level of professionalism here is appalling. I can already see this video causing headaches for the OCFD, OCPD and EMSA. Im just going to keep my opinions to myself on this one.

Edit: Watched the unedited version, she is very much alive and responds when the officer pinches her jaw.

here is the link to the raw footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj-YKF-ukVk&feature=player_embedded#!

I'm glad someone posted this up. The original video was edited for content to support the publishers claims. Agreed they could have handled it better from what we can see without hearing the assessment or knowing the actual situation but I'm not going to monday morning quarterback it.

I don't see how we ask to be professionals when we ridicule our "brothers and sisters", as the fire service puts it, with little more than a video posted on the internet. :rolleyes:

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm glad someone posted this up. The original video was edited for content to support the publishers claims.

Yeah, If you don't think that the media networks do that too, huge mistake.

I find it interesting that they took photos on scene. The only thought I could think of was that maybe one of them was use it as a training photo for a class... but thats a stretch.

Im glad to know that they checked the AVPU, and in turn that makes me feel a little better about how they lifted the patient to the gurney (even though a scoop or board woulda been better).

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
First off, the unedited video is dated 1-19-2010

I watched the full unedited version first, in full screen. It is apparent in the first 10 seconds of the video she is breathing. She also moved a couple of times when the bystander and cops touched her. They also edited out the part where the FFs were fixing her clothes after moving her. In the full version the BP cuff was obvious, and the pulse ox was visible, but wasn't as obvious. You could see a cable going to something white on her hand.

The cell phone use is suspicious, but frankly I can't see what was remarkable enough to take a picture for personal use. We definitely deal with people in much more embarrassing situations. She was completely dressed, puke free and I didn't notice any tattoos anywhere or writing on her face.

I also strongly suspect that the bystander in the blue sweatshirt works for EMSA or is connected to them somehow. He appeared to know what he was doing, PD listened to him when they first got on scene, fire didn't chase him off, and he approached the amb when it got on scene and appeared to be familiar with the people on it.