Oh I am SO annoyed

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I applied for a job, did all the stuff on-line, and then did the personality assessment. This is what i got back..

Thank you for your interest in employment with **** Ambulance Service. We have carefully reviewed your qualifications in regards to the position of Emergency Medical Technician - Greater Boston Area with **** Ambulance. We have considered all the information which you have provided us, however based on the results of the assessment you submitted, we have decided to pursue other candidates at this time. There is a 6 month waiting period before you will be able to reapply for this particular position with **** Ambulance Service."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! :angry: No phone interview, nothing in-person, all based off a stupid, computer-based "personality" assessment thing that is ridiculous anyway. This isn't KMART!

oh man. i am so pissed right now.

EMT Phares

Forum Probie
Seriously? Boy do I feel your pain, especially with those "on-line assessments". What ever happened to good old fashion applications IN PERSON?! Well, I say that it's there loss; I wish you the best luck :)

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
yah, i know! I did the application on-line because it was easier/faster than driving to boston, dealing with traffic, and driving home. I was feeling hopeful until that email. I wrote back.

"Dear....
I am appalled that you decided to not even interview me because of my assessment. That is absurd, to not even do a phone or in-person interview, but base it off a ridiculous computer-based assessment. I think I would be a wonderful addition to any ambulance company, especially with my six plus years of social work, behavioral health experience. Sure, I do not have the experience as a EMT, but that is why I applied to ****, to get the experience. I can understand if the decision was based off of where I live, or my lack of experience in the field, but from results of a "personality" assesment? I am insulted.

Thank you for your time."

You're right, their loss.

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
atleast they didnt insult you! there is a certain hospital district around here that told my friend they wouldnt hire him because "he had bad morals"

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Based on your response here, I got a feeling they may have been right in not hiring you.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
What it really tells me is that I don't want to work for a company that bases whether they even want to interview someone on a ridiculous "personality assessment".

Anjel

Forum Angel
Based on your response here, I got a feeling they may have been right in not hiring you.

Mmhmm.

Its not the end of the world. Your personality must not of been what they are looking for. Move on.

Dont be so cynical.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
What it really tells me is that I don't want to work for a company that bases whether they even want to interview someone on a ridiculous "personality assessment".

ridiculous? Personality assessments are based on your personality...

They have all the right to look for certain personalities that suit their organization best. There is a substantial amount of research based on employee engagement, self motivation and optimism.

By sending an email like that you are setting yourself up to never get a job. Why would you not respond back honestly asking for advice on how to better your application?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Word travels very fast in the EMS world. One phone call or mention of your name in a negative way will really screw you.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
yah, i know! I did the application on-line because it was easier/faster than driving to boston, dealing with traffic, and driving home. I was feeling hopeful until that email. I wrote back.

"Dear....
I am appalled that you decided to not even interview me because of my assessment. That is absurd, to not even do a phone or in-person interview, but base it off a ridiculous computer-based assessment. I think I would be a wonderful addition to any ambulance company, especially with my six plus years of social work, behavioral health experience. Sure, I do not have the experience as a EMT, but that is why I applied to ****, to get the experience. I can understand if the decision was based off of where I live, or my lack of experience in the field, but from results of a "personality" assesment? I am insulted.

Well, after receiving that email I'm sure they're glad they didn't hire you. In my opinion, sending such an email reflects a degree of unprofessional behavior that no ambulance company would want in their company. Accept that they didn't think you would fit in with their company and move on, there are plenty of other jobs out there.

Straycoyote

Forum Ride Along
If it was a case of an in person personality assessment, I would say they were right. But an online one? Those things are notoriously flawed. And I'm sorry, you cannot adequately determine what you need to know about an employee based on an online quiz.

That's like buying a car right off just based on what you read about it in a posting. Anyone with a brain wouldn't, they would want to go see it in person and get a feel for it.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
It all works out in the end i guess. Im just frustrated. I don't think a 91 question "personality" test is very indicative of who I am. Questions in which you answer "agree, strongly agree, neither agree or disagree, and vice versa, are not strong markers for who a person is. just like a lie detector isn't accurate about if a person is really lying.just like true/false questions don't tell you what the test taker really knows.

Yes, i am cynical. Im trying not to be. Im also not in a great mood today, so i apologize.

I love your signature Anjela, by the way.

(Sent via the tiny machine that runs my life)

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
If it was a case of an in person personality assessment, I would say they were right. But an online one? Those things are notoriously flawed. And I'm sorry, you cannot adequately determine what you need to know about an employee based on an online quiz.

That's like buying a car right off just based on what you read about it in a posting. Anyone with a brain wouldn't, they would want to go see it in person and get a feel for it.

thank you!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Your response was honest, and pretty accurate AND it will either help them justify their not hiring you and ignore you OR respond to your valid concerns.

But, you said what you had to, now let it go.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
If they said, ok, here is why, and gave me reasons, then great. I just got a form letter.

Yup. Letting it go now. Thank u for listening.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well your response certainly shows your immaturity.

And probably secured the fact you will never have a job there. Or probably anywhere in the area. Everybody knows everybody in EMS.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Disappointing, but certainly nothing to lose sleep over. I'm not sure where you applied, but when I was applying in the same area I was never asked to do any sort of personality assessment...so the good news is that if these sorts of assessments aren't your thing, there are plenty of services that won't require them.

JPINFV

Gadfly

"Dear....

Thank you for proving their online assessment correct. :D

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, after receiving that email I'm sure they're glad they didn't hire you. In my opinion, sending such an email reflects a degree of unprofessional behavior that no ambulance company would want in their company.

This!

There are 100 different ways to write that email with a professional tone. What you did was burning a bridge.