Oh I am SO annoyed

SuperScarlett

Forum Probie
I got that same response from what is probably the same company (I'm in the Boston area as well).

About a week later I applied with another company and was hired on the spot. Among the people in the room at the hiring open house for the new company were several long-time other company employees who are sick of how things are going.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I got that same response from what is probably the same company (I'm in the Boston area as well).

About a week later I applied with another company and was hired on the spot. Among the people in the room at the hiring open house for the new company were several long-time other company employees who are sick of how things are going.

Thank u. Congrats!
Yes, I've probably burned a bridge, but oh well. I can't take it back. I realize it was stupid. Everyone messes up!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
From their POV...

...on second look, here's where you screwed the pooch:

I did the application on-line because it was easier/faster than driving to boston, dealing with traffic, and driving home.

Maybe they're thinking: "If I'm not worth visiting, then you ain't worth hiring." Betcha a buck they hired the ones who made themselves real.

SuperScarlett

Forum Probie
...on second look, here's where you screwed the pooch:

Maybe they're thinking: "If I'm not worth visiting, then you ain't worth hiring." Betcha a buck they hired the ones who made themselves real.

In her defense (I think you're a her?), I went to what I believe is the same company in person to apply and was directed to a computer station to fill out the online application. They basically won't even give you face time with HR until you've passed the personality test.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
WellI i live on Cape Cod and it takes about an hour and half to get where they are, plus traffic. If i got a job there, i would have commuted.

Ya, I am a woman. Lol. Thank u SuperScarlet.i did call them first too and was directed to do it all online.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I applied for a job, did all the stuff on-line, and then did the personality assessment. This is what i got back..

Thank you for your interest in employment with **** Ambulance Service. We have carefully reviewed your qualifications in regards to the position of Emergency Medical Technician - Greater Boston Area with **** Ambulance. We have considered all the information which you have provided us, however based on the results of the assessment you submitted, we have decided to pursue other candidates at this time. There is a 6 month waiting period before you will be able to reapply for this particular position with **** Ambulance Service."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! :angry: No phone interview, nothing in-person, all based off a stupid, computer-based "personality" assessment thing that is ridiculous anyway. This isn't KMART!

oh man. i am so pissed right now.

I am not sure which companies Personality test that they are using, but those test are purchased from 3rd party companies. The Ambulance services didn't make it up on its own. Those Test have but researched and researched and are proven effective in making sure that the right people make it through to a personal interview. The one we use has an impressive resume, and the Services that use it noted a full 180 in employee rention, behavorial issues, and work ethic. They are ment to pick the very best candiate for an EMS position, they also have these test for management positions.

As a side note, I cannot believe you wrote that email to them. That shows absolute unprofessionalism and immaturity, you acted out based on an emotion. And it proves to them why the personality test did not pass you.

Last edited by a moderator:

valv

Forum Ride Along
hey don't sweat it I got the same response from the same company today. tomorrow I'm going to call HR to talk it over with them and see what happens, ill let ya know. just remember life goes on, its not a big deal if you get a job being basic or not; even if you spent 6 months getting certified.

valv

Forum Ride Along

can you send me a pm and tell me what company held the open house

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
I know it's been said, but it's best not to take this sort of thing personally. Hiring processes aren't always controlled by EMS, especially in large organisations. Sometimes corporate / city / hospital HR sets a lot of the criteria and hiring quotas.

I've seen countless good people get turned down, while people I think are substandard practitioners get hired, and I've never understood why this happens. I think there's sometimes just an element of randomness, especially in bigger organisations.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Applied to the same company, got the same response. It happens. I got hired on with another company, put some time in there, and may give it another shot in a couple of months. It is disappointing to here they won't meet with you face to face-I've been told that's a good way to get through to HR.