Off-Duty EMTs and DUI BAC threshold

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah my knowledge is strictly in California.

So in your state any joe blow off the street can just hop in and drive an ambulance eh?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

So in your state any joe blow off the street can just hop in and drive an ambulance eh?

You think reading that little book and passing that test really qualifies you any more than that joe blow?

Seriously? That's like a 16 year old saying they can drive better than another 16 year old because "I have a license and you don't!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

Up into recently that's 100% correct.

Now they are requiring EVOC/EVDT as a prerequisite as per regional council requirements.

New requirements now are to take effect that the minimum standard for a legal BLS crew will be a EMT and a Emergency Responder, at which the Emergency responder must have EVOC/EVDT. They are pushing for legislature that requires that EMS Vehicle Operators will be required to apply for a EMSVO Liscense that recerts every 3 years. which requires you to meet certain training standards.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You think reading that little book and passing that test really qualifies you any more than that joe blow?

Seriously? That's like a 16 year old saying they can drive better than another 16 year old because "I have a license and you don't!!!"

For CA actually yeah haha. The only reason it qualifies us more than joe blow is because we have the license which means we can legally drive the ambulance.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
For CA actually yeah haha. The only reason it qualifies us more than joe blow is because we have the license.

Don't be an arrogant prick you know what I mean.

:lol:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol I agree the test isn't much, but you would be surprised how many don't have a clue about state regulations in regards to laws pertaining to ambulance operations, legal requirements such as what lights by law have to be used during different situations and when an ambulance is considered out of service. Among all the other things we are expected to know about hazmat etcetc

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We do an in house, proprietary EVOC at time of hire and every 2 years.

Don't pass you can pick up your heck from HR on Friday.

Our EVOC involves a driving component as well as a classroom component.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Don't be an arrogant prick you know what I mean.

:lol:

I have never been an arrogant prick :ph34r:

We have an EVOC class when we are hired. It's 8-16 hours of classroom and then 8 hours driving. We have online EVOC classes and tests we have to take yearly.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief

We have an EVOC class when we are hired. It's 8-16 hours of classroom and then 8 hours driving. We have online EVOC classes and tests we have to take yearly.

This along with the endorsement are helpful.

I think the classroom plus endorsement is beneficial because honestly how many of us know the rules of the road for operating a emergency vehicle when we take our first job? Or just break into EMS?

The driving portion of the EVOC test I think is a little ridiculous it should be more focused on appropriately handling and how the vehicle handles vs. you need to drive through a slalom, a offset alley, a vehicle dock, and 100ft forwards and backwards straight. Also should be placed in the back and see how it feels to be driven appropriately and not appropriately I ran into way too many drivers hoping onto someones BLS bus who thought that hard braking and hard acceleration along with attempting to qualify for Daytona was acceptable as I Hang on for dear life.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This along with the endorsement are helpful.

I think the classroom plus endorsement is beneficial because honestly how many of us know the rules of the road for operating a emergency vehicle when we take our first job? Or just break into EMS?

The driving portion of the EVOC test I think is a little ridiculous it should be more focused on appropriately handling and how the vehicle handles vs. you need to drive through a slalom, a offset alley, a vehicle dock, and 100ft forwards and backwards straight. Also should be placed in the back and see how it feels to be driven appropriately and not appropriately I ran into way too many drivers hoping onto someones BLS bus who thought that hard braking and hard acceleration along with attempting to qualify for Daytona was acceptable as I Hang on for dear life.

Our course is similar to what you describe but longer. It's a pretty complex scoring system. There's no way to pass the test if you don't know how the vehicle handles so new hires usually spend time in the seat with an instructor learning how the vehicles (plural, we have Chevy and Ford chassis and both drive differently) before they can pass it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You want to hold me in the highest regard and to the highest standard, and enact laws to legally bind me to that standard? Even when I am completely off duty?

Then pay me enough for cab fare. Get the picture? (Or pay for it like Robb's co. Pretty cool)

EMR, EMT, Paramedic... Whatever... I'm a regular guy off the clock; I'm not a hero, and I'm surely not sitting around "on call" waiting to RickyRescue myself into a situation. My time is my time. So long as I am acting within accordance to the same laws and regs that every other citizen does then I should have nobody messing with me and certainly no legal or employment ramifications.

Clearly, I am not advocating drinking and driving at any level. If you drink too much, don't drive. Period. Also, BAC is based on an average male of adult size, meaning .04 to you may be equivalent to a .08 to me depending on size, metabolism, weight, etc. Regardless of that tid-bit of info, I don't support reducing the legal limit just because of our line of work.

School bus drivers, truck drivers, the UPS man, the postal service, the military, the police, the firemen, the doctors, the trash men, etc.etc.etc... I could go on.

I'm done, I think I got my opinion and point accross.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You want to hold me in the highest regard and to the highest standard, and enact laws to legally bind me to that standard? Even when I am completely off duty?

Then pay me enough for cab fare. Get the picture? (Or pay for it like Robb's co. Pretty cool)

EMR, EMT, Paramedic... Whatever... I'm a regular guy off the clock; I'm not a hero, and I'm surely not sitting around "on call" waiting to RickyRescue myself into a situation. My time is my time. So long as I am acting within accordance to the same laws and regs that every other citizen does then I should have nobody messing with me and certainly no legal or employment ramifications.

Clearly, I am not advocating drinking and driving at any level. If you drink too much, don't drive. Period. Also, BAC is based on an average male of adult size, meaning .04 to you may be equivalent to a .08 to me depending on size, metabolism, weight, etc. Regardless of that tid-bit of info, I don't support reducing the legal limit just because of our line of work.

School bus drivers, truck drivers, the UPS man, the postal service, the military, the police, the firemen, the doctors, the trash men, etc.etc.etc... I could go on.

Preach brother, preach.

I have an identity outside of EMS.

You'd probably never guess what my job is if you met me outside of work.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

Hey you two get a room!;)

mycrofft

Beer Math:
Naw, .08 is .08, but for a person with less mass or less enzymes to attack the alcohol, a given amount of booze will yield a higher alcohol level for a smaller person than a large one. Oddly, some people experience more impairment at a lower alcohol level than others, so a big guy without the proper enzymes or maybe a history of brain injury may actually be more impaired than a smaller person with the same or even slightly lower blood level.

I think basically we are all on the same page of the good book, and the choir's all thats listening.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Beer Math:
Naw, .08 is .08, but for a person with less mass or less enzymes to attack the alcohol, a given amount of booze will yield a higher alcohol level for a smaller person than a large one. Oddly, some people experience more impairment at a lower alcohol level than others, so a big guy without the proper enzymes or maybe a history of brain injury may actually be more impaired than a smaller person with the same or even slightly lower blood level.

I think basically we are all on the same page of the good book, and the choir's all thats listening.

Agreed. I stand corrected. Same point, wrong road. Thanks for the info.

mycrofft