Odd question: Dual state licenses - does that exist?

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
Hi,

First time moving out of state here:

I recently relocated to northern Alabama and I am pretty close to the Tennessee border.
In order to widen employment in the EMS field I had this thought of also applying across state lines since its literally at times just an hour away.

Can an individual have more then one active license?

Also, when I moved out here from California the EMT license from there is still active till next year by date printed on it and have no idea if that automatically lost its validity after moving out of this state or just expires it not renewed?

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences
- Markus

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I hold two active state cards, Texas and New Mexico. I used to hold a few more. Nothing that I know of states that you can only hold one state cert at a time

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yeah, I have two and I know plenty of people with 3. No problem at all with it.

Honestly, I might be the only person in the world licensed as a paramedic in Colorado and Delaware. Yay?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had CT/RI for a while. Had a valid WA and DE cert, currently have GA and SC. (Both pending)

No issues with multiple state licensure, however a multi state license would be fantastic. I know it's been talked about for years.

Reactions: Jon

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
There is no rule against it and in some places it is required. When I worked on the Navajo Reservation, I had to be licensed in AZ, NM, UT and CO because we frequently flew in and out of those areas as well. During this same time period, I held an Alaska, Oregon, Louisiana, Florida and South Carolina license in addition to my National Registry.

Mtnmedic

Forum Probie
I've been a medic in OR, CA, ID, WA and ND simultaneously. yeah I'm a west coast medic. Don't ask about ND. It's a lonnnng story.

As long as you maintain the requirements for continued licensure/certification, most states don't care where you live (though you might have to report to them as "inactive" if you're no longer affiliated with an approved provider or that you're no longer a resident). The majority of states have their own licenses/certificates but a handful still operate under "legal recognition" of an out-of-state license/certification while some just use the NREMT. A national (or even regional) certificate/license would actually be nice -and the NREMT is the closest thing to that-but as a point of legislature and medical control from the different areas agreeing on foundation standards, it's not likely to happen for quite a while

MrJones

Iconoclast
Yeah, I have two and I know plenty of people with 3. No problem at all with it.

Honestly, I might be the only person in the world licensed as a paramedic in Colorado and Delaware. Yay?

I can beat that - licensed as a paramedic in New Hampshire, Kentucky and Montana.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I can beat that - licensed as a paramedic in New Hampshire, Kentucky and Montana.
Last year I had nm, Colorado, mainr, nh, and mass lol

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Just make sure you know each state's continuing education requirements. For example, NJ won't recognize the courses I take in MA, but I can use the NJ courses to fulfill the MA (NREMT) requirements.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yep. I have TX and NV. It's the drivers license thing that is an issue, though. Can't work anything except special events in the other state because I only have a TX drivers license. So stupid.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yep. I have TX and NV. It's the drivers license thing that is an issue, though. Can't work anything except special events in the other state because I only have a TX drivers license. So stupid.
That's an agency issue, not a state issue though. I work in Texas just fine with my NM dl

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I currently hold a PA card, Registry, and a MD EMT card. Will likely be upgrading MD to Paramedic, and adding DC and perhaps VA.

I also had a NPS "White Card" which is the NPS's cert/credential.