NYC FDNY EMT Hirings.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone know when they are hiring next ?

I am trying to get on with a private, and it would reason that a bunch of spots might open up once FDNY hires.

Anyone know when that will be next ?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
call them and ask them when the next EMT class will be. Traditionally it is January and June. As you know NY has $$$ problems.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
call them and ask them when the next EMT class will be. Traditionally it is January and June. As you know NY has $$$ problems.

A hiring person at a private told me FDNY was hiring July 13, and he may have openings then.

I am trying to access if he was giving me brush off or not....

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Call FDNY EMS and ask.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
A hiring person at a private told me FDNY was hiring July 13, and he may have openings then.

I am trying to access if he was giving me brush off or not....

Call him on July 13. Find out.

bitman

Forum Ride Along
did u call to find out? i'm waiting for a call from them too, brought my application in to "application intake session" back in May 2010, the guy told me to expect a call by mid July, nothing yet. Thanks.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
No.

If you are on the list, then you must have a contact phone # for info.

I am not on the list. I have an application in at a private service. They told meif they (the private) lose people to FDNY, then they (the private) would have openings.

Someone in my building, dont know him, but I saw his FDNY emt shirts, said he heard there would be a class in the end of July.

But as I wrote, if you are on the list, dont you have a contact person or phone # ?

bitman

Forum Ride Along
I brought my application in through an invitation i was sent so i suppose yes i'm on the list, they gave us a general contact number for info, i called on the 15th they still haven't started calling applicants yet. She couldn't tell me when they would start, i'm calling again this week. We were told at the application intake session they have a tentative academy start for january for this group and the application process takes anywhere from 2-4 months. Crossing my fingers i hope i get the call.

I believe they have waiting lists for emt in nyc, you would need to call them so that they put your name down for next hirings, i got called 2 years after i originally applied. I'm not sure if they give priority to people who are already on privates or they also have to start from zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
My class is ending in August. I will be certified in August. Is this too late for FDNY? Ideally I'd love to get into the FDNY EMT academy this year :(

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you will apply and get in line. If you qualify, they will call you.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It would be a good idea to work on getting your medic while waiting for a call. I know that LaGuardia, Suffolk CC have degree programs, and I think that BMCC does as well. You could also go the cert route. I may be a little out of the loop, but IIRC NY Methodist runs medic programs in BK and the Bronx. They had classes that run 1800-2200 M-Th, and 8 hour classes twice weekly, I think M/W.

A medic program may cost 6-7k, but you can easily make it back in the first year. Just get a loan if you have to, or establish a payment schedule with the school, or some combination of the two.

I was lucky, as I was working for NS-LIJ as an EMT while going through medic school, making 20/hr, plus 2/hr night diff. The medic promotion bumped me to 22/hr, then 25 after six months, and then 30/hr after a year. There was that salary bump, more OT, and availability of per diem work at other hospitals making 25/hr or more. That's how you make it back. If you work in the privates making 10/hr, the medic upgrade will bump you to 20/hr or more. Every $.50/hr is a little more than $1,000/yr. So, that's a 20k/yr bump, gross.

Having your medic will make it all the easier to get into FDNY EMS. There was and will always be turnover. It's a fun job, but the constant harrassment by conditions bosses, mandations, lousy pay, etc wears many down. The hospitals always get ex FDNY EMS employees. They start out per diem, then go FT when they see how much better it is on the other side.

The FF's don't even make a liveable wage in the FDNY, so the EMT's and medics are even more screwed. At least at FDNY the FF's can do swaps and basically work a 24/72, or work every other day for a month and have a month or more off. At FDNY EMS, they work 8 hour shifts, five days a week, with an extra day off every third week or so. Google FDNY EMS platoon schedule to see for yourself. Couple that with mandations, and there's little time to work side jobs. At least the FF's have enough time off to work a second FT job if they want. Quite a few work for the hospitals as EMT's, medics, and nurses.

I think that, as a new EMT you may qualify for food stamps. No joke. I heard the same for NYPD a few years ago before they had their most recent contract negotiation, finally giving them a liveable wage.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
$30 an hour as a Medic?
I see a cross country State move after I get licensed.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
No way, really? Sounds too easy.
Seems like he's going about it like there's some secret underground EMS hiring society.

I did the entire FDNY EMS hiring process after I got my medic, and then turned down the offer, having convinced my wife that we could do way better in fire based EMS out of state.

It was as simple as calling the automated number, putting yourself on the provisional list, then waiting for notification by mail to jump through their hoops. Completing the process doesn't mean that you'll get hired, just that you're eligible. It's the same as any other hiring process. You meet with the investigator to give them all your ppw and to pay for the background investigation. You'll return again for the psych. Again for the physical, the medical, the computer test, etc. The physical was easy. From what I remember, there was the stepmill, three minutes at 60 steps/min, with only 35# extra. Your BP needs t be within a certain limit, and your pulse needs to drop a certain amount after a minute or so. Just recline and take deep, slow breaths, and it'll drop. Practice makes perfect. There was this thing that has you turn the pedals with your arms. You pull on a chain attatched to the floor that measures your pulling force. I forget what else. The medical was blood draws, PPD, breathing, fit test, eyes, ears, 12 lead and such. You're given a list # after all is said and done, IIRC. I forget if civil service employees get first dibs or not.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
$30 an hour as a Medic?
I see a cross country State move after I get licensed.

North Shore LIJ Center for EMS. You start as a medic 1 unless you have experience. When I worked there in '07, the probie M1 got 22.02/hr, up to 25.22 after probation, which was six months. Then you go to M2, pending availability. Starts at 26.72, up to 30.0 something after six months. Our CCM's got 33/hr. All positions are subject to 10% night diff. I scheduled all nights to give myself a 10% pay raise. :)

1199 union hospitals such as JHMC/Flushing/Brookdale and the now defunct SVCMC system would take 5 years to top out, unlike as little as a year at NS-LIJ. Medics started at 25/hr, up to 33/hr, with pension. NS only had a 403b. :sad:

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
North Shore LIJ Center for EMS. You start as a medic 1 unless you have experience. When I worked there in '07, the probie M1 got 22.02/hr, up to 25.22 after probation, which was six months. Then you go to M2, pending availability. Starts at 26.72, up to 30.0 something after six months. Our CCM's got 33/hr. All positions are subject to 10% night diff. I scheduled all nights to give myself a 10% pay raise. :)

1199 union hospitals such as JHMC/Flushing/Brookdale and the now defunct SVCMC system would take 5 years to top out, unlike as little as a year at NS-LIJ. Medics started at 25/hr, up to 33/hr, with pension. NS only had a 403b. :sad:

Hey I actually work for NSLIJ now. I'm wondering if I could get a job per diem (even though i have no EMT experience).

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Hey I actually work for NSLIJ now. I'm wondering if I could get a job per diem (even though i have no EMT experience).

I don't think that you can work two different jobs at the same health system. There were a couple of EMT's who mover over to Manhasset to be ER techs, getting a few more bucks an hour, but they had to resign with the CEMS. We also had a FDNY FF who was an EMT that resigned with the CEMS to be an RN at NSUH Manhasset per diem.

What's your current position with the health system?

I know that NSLIJ runs the system in Staten Island. Perhaps you could work EMS over there?

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
I'm actually working as a clerk typist, but I absolutely 100% hate it. I'd definitely leave that job in a heartbeat for EMT!!!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm actually working as a clerk typist, but I absolutely 100% hate it. I'd definitely leave that job in a heartbeat for EMT!!!

I think that the CEMS' main number is still 516-719-5050. Call there and they'll point you in the right direction. If you have educational aspirations, they'll work with you on building your schedule around school. You too can work 46 Eddie and maybe one day 46 Young if you get your medic cert!

Also, when I left the health system in 2007, Manhasset was hiring EMT's as ER techs, for around 22/hr. You could apply for the ER tech position and the EMT position at the same time, and see what comes back first. If you get the tech spot, you'll see plenty of CEMS employees. Talk with them and see if NYC 911/IFT EMS would interest you.