NYC FDNY EMT Hirings.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I was at the academy on Tuesday of this week for training. Right now there is a Top class that just started. I asked some of the instructors and they have no clue as to when the next class is after this one. It might take six months or so to be called. If I hear anything else I'll post it on here.

What does "Top" class mean ?

How is a "Top" class different from any other class ?

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
TOP stands for Training Orientation Program. If there is a P before top it's for medics only otherwise TOP is for EMT's. Eg. TOP-09-04 is the 4th top program in the year 2009.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I contacted NY State EMS regarding reciprocity, they said fill out application along with a copy of my Ca state Paramedic License and $50 dollar cashiers check or money order, and a written statement indicating intentions to work for FDNY and that was it, and FDNY also said once I get state license there is a local protocol test I would have to take once these requirements were satisfied I could apply with FDNY, which I plan to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I contacted NY State EMS regarding reciprocity, they said fill out application along with a copy of my Ca state Paramedic License and $50 dollar cashiers check or money order, and a written statement indicating intentions to work for FDNY and that was it, and FDNY also said once I get state license there is a local protocol test I would have to take once these requirements were satisfied I could apply with FDNY, which I plan to do.

It's called the NYC REMAC exam. You need your MAC card to work in the city. It's a protocol test. One day is the written, the next is scenarios. The written is no joke. A typical question can be: What's the fifth step in the Asthma protocol? Or, after establishing a 12 lead (cardiac), what is the next step?

Find the protocols here:

http://www.nycremsco.org/images/articlesserver/ALS_Protocols_January_2010_v01012010c.pdf

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
46young, Thank you very much, REMAC was the name that's right, I did not realize there was scenarios. I'm in Ca what are the best places to consider housing that are not "ghetto,". Thanks in advance, Its gonna be my first time in NY

firecoins

IFT Puppet
46young, Thank you very much, REMAC was the name that's right, I did not realize there was scenarios. I'm in Ca what are the best places to consider housing that are not "ghetto,". Thanks in advance, Its gonna be my first time in NY

There are trick questions and yes, it is scenario based.

As for living, it Do you want to live in the 5 boros? Jersey? Long Island? Westchester? Rockland? Queens is the best boro combining affordability and mass transport IMHO. I love Rockland and Westchester but I am from there.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I grew up in Ridgewood, Queens. It's decent to live there, and there is a lot of public transportation as well. The farther up from Wyckoff, and the closer to Fresh Pond Rd you are, the better. The other side of Wyckoff is Bushwick, Brooklyn. I've lived there too. It can be rough there. Matter of fact, it's best to stay out of Brooklyn and the Bronx in general. There are some nice areas, but they are few and far between, and can be prohibitively expensive. The city (Manhattan) is too expensive, and Staten Island is too remote. Glendale and Middle Village are safe. The three Queens neighborhoods I mentioned are pretty centrally located in Queens, and also reasonably close to highways going to other boroughs. You can make the academy in 30-45 minutes by car if you leave early. Getting home is a different story.

Edit: Maspeth is okay, too. The other Queens neighborhoods are either too expensive, or hit and miss as far as if they're safe or not. Five blocks one way you're okay, then you turn the wrong corner and someone will start beef with you.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
So when you say Queens, Brooklyn, these are cities and there is neighborhoods within the cities?? Buroughs is what? ? Another name for city?? It sucks because I know nobody in NY, I will get a map of the area, I was in the east coast in 98 in Camp Lejeune NC when I stationed there, but I'm from Ca 45 min east of LA in San Bernardino Co, thank you to all NY ems people for the info, Only thing I know about NY is Rescue me lol.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
NYC has five boroughs. These are also counties. the borough of Queens is Queens County, Brooklyn is Kings County, Staten Island is Richmond County, etc. Within these five counties are numerous neighborhoods. They correlate to certain zip codes, for the most part.

Do this: Go to maps.google, and type in "Seneca Ave, NY." That puts you right in the middle of Ridgewood. Zoom out times one, and you'll see all the neighborhoods named on the map. You can easily see Ridgewood, Glendale, Woodhaven, and Bushwick. Many neighborhoods are like a melting pot, but others are clearly segregated.

Just walk through Brooklyn. You'll find mostly Polish in Greenpoint, Hasidic Jews in parts of Williamsburg, and Puerto Ricans on the other side. You've got Italians and Irish down in Bay Ridge, Russians in Sheepshead Bay, Blacks in Bed Stuy, etc. That's not to say that any one area is better or worse then the next, but that's predominantely what you'll find in those areas.

When I worked in Jackson Hts/Corona, Roosevelt Ave was mostly Mexican, 37 ave from 76th st to Junction Blve was mostly Colombian, Ecuadorian, and Peruvian. Past Junction was Dominican. East Elmhurst was black. 73-76 st was mostly Indian. Many neighborhoods are quirky like that. Astoria can have Greek areas, Brazillian pockets, South American, Paki, Egyptian, Italian, Black, etc. You walk 5-6 blocks in any direction and the scenery changes.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
46young, Thanks again for the really good info. Out here we have some segregation, but it seems more in the ghetto or rough cities like East LA or Compton, but for the most part descent neighborhoods could be a melting pot but your either Hispanic,white, black or Asian. Im still waiting for NY state license then I will set up a REMAC test date and actually fly out there, then I could apply with FDNY EMS.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
How is the overtime with FDNY?? Is there a lot of work. That's what I miss about AMR, out here you have to be a Firefighter if you want to have an EMS career, I absolutely hate that, otherwise you have to work for some crappy Ambulance Co. With no future absolute dead end job.

FDNYRescueMedic

Forum Probie
How is the overtime with FDNY?? Is there a lot of work. That's what I miss about AMR, out here you have to be a Firefighter if you want to have an EMS career, I absolutely hate that, otherwise you have to work for some crappy Ambulance Co. With no future absolute dead end job.

There's a lot of overtime. Folks are always calling out sick, getting injured or taking a few mental health days.;)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
There's a lot of overtime. Folks are always calling out sick, getting injured or taking a few mental health days.;)

Are they still doing the KVO program, so that you can avoid mandations?

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Just to confirm, Does FDNY EMS work 8, 10, 12, or 24 hour shifts? ?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
3 8-hour tours labeled tour 1, tour 2 and tour 3.