NREMT Re-Entry. Who has done it?

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
My EMT-B lapsed 12 years ago. Back then after 2 years it was the class all over again. Today I find out I can take a refresher and re-test the get it back. So I registered for a refresher Oct. 23-25.

I've never quick working. (Firefighter) When I was an EMT I drove an Ambulance for two years. I've kept EMR up. I now have a job where my EMR is ok, but EMT Basic would get me a raise and better job security.

I am just curious to know who has done it and do you have any advice?

Does the refresher take care of the skill portion and all I should need to do is pass the registry again?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The re entry only works if it's been less than 2 years without NREMT or you have a current, valid, state EMT card. If you don't have a state EMT card right now, you're gonna have to take the class all over again still.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
Not what the lady said today on the phone and it says on the website prior state or NREMT.

I called today to be 100% sure because at one time it read that way.

I found a thread on here where someone said they did it earlier this year after letting theirs lapse about 7 years.

Thing always was in my state you can't get state license with out NR.

Did you go back and read what it says?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Lapsed Certification If your National EMS Certification lapsed as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) within a two year period or you are currently state licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), you can obtain National EMS Certification by completing a state-approved Refresher course and successfully completing the cognitive and psychomotor examinations. If your National EMS certification lapsed beyond a two-year period and state certification at the EMT level has not been maintained, you must apply to re-enter the National Registry via the EMT Re-Entry Policy that follows:

Re-Entry Policy

Entry and/or re-entry into the NREMT may be granted to a previously state licensed Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Nationally Certified Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) provided you:

1. Officially document completion of an EMT course, including transition course documentation if required, equivalent to the 2009 National EMS Education Standards and Instructional Guidelines for EMT.
  2. Provide documentation of prior state licensure as an EMT or NREMT certification.
  3. Meet the eligibility requirements for NREMT certification currently in effect to include:
    1. An approved EMT refresher course or 24 hours of equivalent continuing education topic hours within the past two years.
    2. Current CPR equivalent to BLS for Healthcare Providers.
  4. Successfully complete a state-approved EMT psychomotor examination within the past 12 months.
  5. Successfully complete the NREMT cognitive examination within the past 12 months.

Seems their site says a bit of both. But if your EMT-B class is older than 2009 you might have a problem either way, unless you can prove that your class meets the newer standards.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I hope that the NR does not allow people who have not been certified for the past 12 years to take the test and refresher and call it good.

I get that that the EMT curriculum has not changed that much, but medicine does change, and those would be unfortunately low educational standards.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I hope that the NR does not allow people who have not been certified for the past 12 years to take the test and refresher and call it good.

I get that that the EMT curriculum has not changed that much, but medicine does change, and those would be unfortunately low educational standards.
EMT already IS unfortunately low in terms of educational standards. I do agree with you though.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
She did say the class has to meet the new standard. She stressed that by saying it 3 times. According to college I contacted gave me two choices and said they were transitioning course.

I will confirm all this the week before class because it's going to over $100 for the class.

However retaking the Basic had come to mind to do when earlier this year the Basic course fee was cut in almost half. My understanding you no longer get college credit, but I never looked into yet

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie

I get exactly what you are saying and I would agree. However the EMT Basic and EMR are basicly the same. Everything I have done as an EMR I did as an EMT Basic minus transport. EMRS where I live are not allowed to transport.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
but if you take someone who hasn't done a thing with it in several years then I would question it, but if that person can pass the registry and the skills then why not.

I know with firefighting if you don't stay involved with at least a vol. dept. documenting monthly training you loose that certification completely.

I have been told NR was about the $

I know people who were given additional re-takes of the registry after failing it the first 3 times with out taking the class over.

Would you rather that person work on you or someone who may have been out of the game for a while but passes everything the first time?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
but if you take someone who hasn't done a thing with it in several years then I would question it, but if that person can pass the registry and the skills then why not.

I know with firefighting if you don't stay involved with at least a vol. dept. documenting monthly training you loose that certification completely.

I have been told NR was about the $

I know people who were given additional re-takes of the registry after failing it the first 3 times with out taking the class over.

Would you rather that person work on you or someone who may have been out of the game for a while but passes everything the first time?
They get an additional three attempts if they complete a refresher course. And i dont think that really should be allowed either. If you cant pass an entry level test you shouldn't be certified to practice.
And i wouldn'twant someone in your position to take care of me or my family either. I'll drive myself in. I don't need an Ambulance driver to do it for me
I get exactly what you are saying and I would agree. However the EMT Basic and EMR are basicly the same. Everything I have done as an EMR I did as an EMT Basic minus transport. EMRS where I live are not allowed to transport.
No. Just no. Your attitude is why ems is not looked upon as a real medical profession. Its why we are looked at as ambulance drivers. Theres more to this job than skills. The knowledge base for mfr and basic are different.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
I am going off what I been told.

I was a registered EMT Basic for over 5 years. I let it lapse because my fire department didn't require it and I couldn't afford to keep it up at the time so I took the EMR level course that my department helps keep training records on. Plus we take a refresher ever two years.

I found out about this re-entry just the other day. Working two fire depts. now and the new dept. I work at for over a year now excepts my EMR but prefers EMT. That department we mostly respond to medical calls. Its not a lot mostly 3-5 in a shift. My main fire dept. job we mainly respond only to trauma calls when comes to medical.

I always felt I was good with patient care and I care about my work. I hate my post have come across differently.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If they were the same, they would be the same certification and same hours, and all EMRs would be EMTs.

But they are not.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
If they were the same, they would be the same certification and same hours, and all EMRs would be EMTs.

But they are not.
Don't want to argue the point but when it comes to both yah they are the same. What is different is the transport ambulance side of things. Patient asement is the same. What I did notice is the training was not as intense with EMR vs when I took basic. Not as many test, but a few failed my class. EMR has a national test also but I doubt many would pass it from the class I took. You take the EMR book and my EMT and its just from different point of views. I am only talking about basic not ALS.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Basic is only 100 hrs EMR they skip through the book...but how do you fix that
Basic is actually at least 120 hours and in many places is longer. The best way to fix it wold be to phase out emr, make emt basic the first responder level, and make aemt the minimum to work on a 911 transporting ambulance.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
EmR's are mostly vol. who respond from their homes or jobs. They are highly regarded around here. Many take great pride and train with local ambulance service.

I can count on one hand though how many volunteer emt' see have, but we do have vol. emt's that have never worked for a dime.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Don't want to argue the point but when it comes to both yah they are the same. What is different is the transport ambulance side of things. Patient asement is the same. What I did notice is the training was not as intense with EMR vs when I took basic. Not as many test, but a few failed my class. EMR has a national test also but I doubt many would pass it from the class I took. You take the EMR book and my EMT and its just from different point of views. I am only talking about basic not ALS.
Sigh. So if you never did anything involving an ambulance, why should you not then be required to take a class the is the requirement to work on an ambulance.

Don't make excuses. You were an EMT 12 years ago. You need to take the class again if that's the level of care you would like provide. You owe it both the profession and your patients.

OP
OP
B

BeasleyTKD

Forum Probie
You mean during the 12 years I was not registered?

I was an EMR and and assisted ambulance crews. Same thing I did as an EMT Basic. When I was an EMT with the registry I drove an ambulance with a medic on board.

I work in private sector as first responder as well. EMR level is all is required in my state.

If registry allows people who have lapsed their national certification for several years the ability to recert with out taking full class then you might want to tell them.

I for years thought taking the whole class over was the only option.

I understand if someone lapsed and had nothing to do with medical again and then wanted back in then it should be should be stricter.

TonyaL

Forum Crew Member
I did the NREMT re entry. But, I'm a EMT Basic. I took a Nremt basic refresher paid 100 dollars and did my skills verification for the Nremt and then I took the written.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
As an aside, having been an EMR and then an EMT, my anecdotal experience is that the only thing the latter teaches that the former doesn't is transporting. The former had more anatomy, physiology, and details about shock and progression of diseases, whereas the latter was simply "oxygen and transport Code 3."

With regard to this topic, however, EMT is a higher level, and I don't think you can get away with a lapsed EMT certification but working as an EMR. I may be wrong but I'd be very surprised.