NREMT-P -vs- NRP

Backblast

Forum Crew Member
I'm about to finish medic school next month. I live in a non-registry state, but am planning on taking national registry anyway. However, I'm m confused about the recent change in terminology from NREMT-P to NRP. What's the difference? When I take national registry ( and hopefully pass), which will I be?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
You will be a "Nationally Registered Paramedic" through the NREMT. I would be shocked and greatly surprised if the NREMT was still certifying Paramedics as NREMT-P.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There really isn't a huge difference other than removing the EMT from Paramedic. Paramedics are no longer EMTs at the national level and some states. NV drops the paramedic once you transition from NREMT-P to NR-P. They really need to add a dash to the NRP because it's confusing seeing as Neonatal Resuscitation Program uses NRP for their cert.

The NR-P came from the minor change in curriculum and requiring schools to be accredited by CoAEMSP if I remember correctly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Or, nurses need to stop throwing any dumb certification abbreviation behind their names.

Some medics needs to stop doing the same thing

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Or, nurses need to stop throwing any dumb certification abbreviation behind their names.

Agreed.

Still though, it's confusing.

kjacksonemti

Forum Ride Along
I'm on the fence with this one. I spent 18 years as an EMT-I and I can't tell you how many paramedics I've seen disregard simple EMT skills at their patient's peril. I still refer to myself as an EMT-P because I believe that to disconnect ourselves from our basics is to invite disaster.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm on the fence with this one. I spent 18 years as an EMT-I and I can't tell you how many paramedics I've seen disregard simple EMT skills at their patient's peril. I still refer to myself as an EMT-P because I believe that to disconnect ourselves from our basics is to invite disaster.

By that thought process we should be nationally registered ambulance drivers

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

So should physicians have to do EMT first?

If someone "forgets" the basics either one of two things is happening

1. The lower level provider really doesn't grasp the decision making process

2. They're a crappy provider anyway.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Why can't we go back to using Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic or MICT (Technician) like in Hawaii?