Nothing special, but exciting to me none-the-less

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Im just stoked because the first bits of my gear have arrived. Namely a Littmann Classic II S.E. in orange, and a Prestige Sphygmomanometer. Now I just need to learn how to use them. :):ph34r:

That is all.

rogersam5

Forum Crew Member
Im just stoked because the first bits of my gear have arrived. Namely a Littmann Classic II S.E. in orange, and a Prestige Sphygmomanometer. Now I just need to learn how to use them. :):ph34r:

That is all.

Cool, using them isn't that hard, some people have trouble wiht blood pressures and every instructor I have had tells everyone that they won't get it on the thier first time.... I thought I had, in my 30 second crash course the night before I left for a clinic in Honduras..

I was excited when i got my Littmann too, it works soooo much better then the junk they had us using in class and what the squad issues

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
I know what you mean, got my Littman this week as well. We're starting on Vital signs now, so I hope to be using it soon!

good luck with your class, I'm doing my Basic class now as well.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
If any of you guys don't pass the class, or decide it is not what you want to do. Please feel free to ship me your littmann. I'm still working with a $15 scope here after a 1 year and a half...

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
only paid $39 for the Littman SE....

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I paid $65 for my Littman select one...

Little tip--- they'll teach you to auscultate the brachial artery next to the bicep, but a medic taught me, and I find it so much easier, to do it at the crease of the elbow.

Press firmly down with it, and rest their arm on your leg, and it knocks out a TON of artifacts on the road.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I just ordered a littman cardiology 3 scope. :) I'm planning on becoming emt-b during summers then medical school or paramedic school if i find i really like emt. So i figured it was worth the $$$$$.

NJN

The Young One
Notice how the majority of posters here are students. Littmans are nice and all, but i wouldn't go higher than 80 bucks for one, those higher priced ones are good for office work but not for a nice big diesel engine and bumpy roads. YAY artifact.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
then medical school or paramedic school

Wow, those are pretty opposite forms of education but good luck in either one. I have a cardiology III I got as a christmas gift and they're great, you can hear things much better but the downside is you can also hear road noise much better than with the cheap spragues. I usually use my Littmann when stopped or on scene and switch to the sprague in the truck because I haven't gotten used to all the road noise it picks up yet.

Sasha

Forum Chief
allheart.com I got a lightweight for 50, with shipping included.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Wow, those are pretty opposite forms of education but good luck in either one. I have a cardiology III I got as a christmas gift and they're great, you can hear things much better but the downside is you can also hear road noise much better than with the cheap spragues. I usually use my Littmann when stopped or on scene and switch to the sprague in the truck because I haven't gotten used to all the road noise it picks up yet.

I am just exploring my career options. Always wanted to be a doctor but don't know if I can take that much schooling. I know I want to be in the medical field though. There is lots in between like CRNP or PA too.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Notice how the majority of posters here are students. Littmans are nice and all, but i wouldn't go higher than 80 bucks for one, those higher priced ones are good for office work but not for a nice big diesel engine and bumpy roads. YAY artifact.
There seems to be a lot of hostility against students on this forums. You would think other EMTs would want to encourage people to get into the field. :rolleyes:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not so much hostility as the voice of experience speaking out.

Why spend top dollar for a brand name stethoscope that
a) you don't know how to use yet
b) can easily be lost/stolen/or gunked up
c) you don't even know what you want or need in a stethoscope

Really, at this point in your career, the only thing you have to base your decision on is their reputation that was built in a clinical setting, not a prehospital environment. Cardiologists need to differentiate heart tones, EMT-B's/students don't.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Not so much hostility as the voice of experience speaking out.

Why spend top dollar for a brand name stethoscope that
a) you don't know how to use yet
b) can easily be lost/stolen/or gunked up
c) you don't even know what you want or need in a stethoscope

Really, at this point in your career, the only thing you have to base your decision on is their reputation that was built in a clinical setting, not a prehospital environment. Cardiologists need to differentiate heart tones, EMT-B's/students don't.
a) Do know how to use a stethoscope to listen for breath sounds/heart sounds/ take a bp. Taught by a doctor whom I shadowed with.
b) I don't think i'm gonna let a $130 piece of equipment just laying around
c) From what I have heard can't really go wrong with littman and even on the littman website it recommends that scope for emts/medical students. I have used both cheap and expensive scopes before. Regardless of my route here I will eventually be needing a stethoscope. So why buy and el cheapo when I am gonna need a good one eventually.

I think I might just move on from this forum. Not too much encouragement here.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Trevor, we won't hold your hand here. If you need your hand held as a student, you're in the wrong line of work. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of a Littman Master Cardio III which was left on my rig one day. No name, no one looking for it. It happens all the time, the only way you'll get it back is if your name is on it.... The scope I actually use when I'm not using the cheapies on the rig is http://www.allheart.com/ahdst0500blk.html.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Trevor, we won't hold your hand here. If you need your hand held as a student, you're in the wrong line of work. Secondly, I'm the proud owner of a Littman Master Cardio III which was left on my rig one day. No name, no one looking for it. It happens all the time, the only way you'll get it back is if your name is on it.... The scope I actually use when I'm not using the cheapies on the rig is http://www.allheart.com/ahdst0500blk.html.
Not looking for hand holding here. But it seems like everything I have said I am doing someone says oh why'd you do that it's pointless. I'm not some wacker who wants to show off fancy gear and put lights all over my car like a christmas tree.

I don't see how buying equipment for an emergency situation/future career is a bad decision. :glare:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not looking for hand holding here. But it seems like everything I have said I am doing someone says oh why'd you do that it's pointless. I'm not some wacker who wants to show off fancy gear and put lights all over my car like a christmas tree.

I don't see how buying equipment for an emergency situation/future career is a bad decision. :glare:

I never said that...what I was trying to say is why buy it now before you know what you need/want? What harm is there in waiting until you've got some experience under your belt so that you can make an informed decision?

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
Seildan. Here's how to do a BP, R/R put this up not long ago.

Attachments

• BPInfo2.jpg
    BPInfo2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 285

EMTWintz

Forum Lieutenant
Thought I would comment

I see everyone is gun ho on the littmans but I have had a prestige for the last 7yr. It has held up very well. the only thing i would absolutely suggest is good ear plugs. I bought a pair at the local med shop for 9$, little pricey but they are AWSOME. They are liquid filled tips, conform to the ear and don't hurt like most harder ones. Using those cut down on some of the outside noises of the rig and screaming kids.