Not just another Doctor's Ambulance thread..

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
hey everyone i just got an orientation date with Doctors. but i don't know if i should take it. i have a question for Doctor's employees with their P-cards already.

has anyone ever used their "internal" transfer to apply to a medic postion at another division? is there a benefit to being with the company already or i stand the same chance as with applying on my own?

i can wait and do mindless ift with my company and wait for a medic job in LA with our sister company to do more mindless ALS ifts. but i can put on my resume i worked as a medic technically. i'm looking for what will offer me a better opportunity to land a 911 medic job. working for Doctors and transferring or having ALS cct ift medic experience???

if it has to be said. yes i'm a medic already.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
I work at CARE and there are quite a few medics at the company who work there for the 911 experience in LA county. If you are in an area long enough the medics get to know you and if they know you are a medic most will be more than willing to let you assess the pt under their supervision (including testing for stroke, lung sounds, etc). You won't be starting IVs and pushing meds though. You can also do all the EMT stuff (12 lead, strip a line, give albuterol, BGL) but this is secondary for most of them as it is much better practice to assess a pt on scene. A lot of the medics at CARE also work in reserves or volunteer with FD where they can practice as a medic, if that is possible for you.

I know EMS in Orange County is a lot different than LA county at CARE. Literally you are there for a ride to the hospital for the FD and most of the time will just perform a set of vitals. I have not worked as much in OC as I have in LA county but this is what I have seen in OC through my experiences. It could be different at Doctor's but most likely not. You will almost never be first on scene due to responding code 2 and by the time you get there the medic on scene is generally 75% done with their assessment.

As for the inter company transfer I do not know the answer to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

energystar

Forum Crew Member
Sorry I forgot to add that it has happened quite a few times that those medics working for CARE as EMTS do end up getting picked up by LA county fire, Anaheim Fire, OCFA, Fullerton, etc. Part of this is because of the relationships and networking they were able to achieve while working for the company. As an IFT medic that whole aspect of the job will be removed if you are looking to advance into fire.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Normally internal transfers are a lot quicker. Most 911 companies have a wait list for Medics and Basics (at least in Cali). Internal transfers normally place you before all the people who do not work for the company/sister company.

Depending on the company you may have to still go thru a testing and interview process and maybe even an orientation.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry I forgot to add that it has happened quite a few times that those medics working for CARE as EMTS do end up getting picked up by LA county fire, Anaheim Fire, OCFA, Fullerton, etc. Part of this is because of the relationships and networking they were able to achieve while working for the company. As an IFT medic that whole aspect of the job will be removed if you are looking to advance into fire.

So do the medics and EMTs for doctors, pacific, so on. Care is another private company which breeds ems providers. You do know that laco is a lottery hiring system right? No hate, just realize that no private 911 provider is better than the next when it comes to getting a fire dept job.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Of course there's still the issue of working in LA and OC with it's preschool level protocols.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
I do realize that and the way getting a job is now its all about who you know. So working in house with a FD helps out quite a bit as was proven the last time anaheim FD hired. 9/12 people hired were CARE employees.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
Of course there's still the issue of working in LA and OC with it's preschool level protocols.

Yeah I fully agree and it sucks coming from a county with very progressive protocols up north. But I am a semester away from getting my BS and am dealing with it to gather whatever experience I can haha.

OP
OP
FoleyArtist

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
thanks for all the replies. a lot to think about. its definitely just a lateral promotion and seems like i went to medic school just to get another emt job. if i leave my company now i could miss an opportunity even as mundane as ift paramedic. its still a paramedic job right? no?

anyways when it comes down to my goals i want a better paying job than my current emt job (dont we all) and who offers great flexibility (which my current job does). so i can continue going to school. shooting for LLU's emergency medical care degree. FD isnt in my immediate future as of right now. my goals are any of the following: mercy air, pa school, austin travis county ems or a single function medic job such as chicago fire, sffd, fdny, boston ems to name a few.

hope this gives a little more perspective to where i'm coming from and if it still affects my choices.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
A medic job is a medic job. Until you get to an interview; what do you think you can swing better? Ifts or emergency medicine?

Coming to doctors you would take a decent pay cut, and the flexibility is being able (finding people to) to trade shifts. No help from scheduling department. There are plenty of medic jobs that are easy to get jobs for once you're done with school. Imo

energystar

Forum Crew Member
thanks for all the replies. a lot to think about. its definitely just a lateral promotion and seems like i went to medic school just to get another emt job. if i leave my company now i could miss an opportunity even as mundane as ift paramedic. its still a paramedic job right? no?

anyways when it comes down to my goals i want a better paying job than my current emt job (dont we all) and who offers great flexibility (which my current job does). so i can continue going to school. shooting for LLU's emergency medical care degree. FD isnt in my immediate future as of right now. my goals are any of the following: mercy air, pa school, austin travis county ems or a single function medic job such as chicago fire, sffd, fdny, boston ems to name a few.

hope this gives a little more perspective to where i'm coming from and if it still affects my choices.

Just to throw some other ideas out at you. If you are interested in the EMS side have you looked into AMR in either Riverside County or SD county? Riverside isn't a terrible commute if you live on the eastern side of OC and SD county isn't a terrible commute if you live in south county. Neither of these jobs will be huge money makers (especially SD), but they are 911 experience. I have two college friends with a bachelor's who work in Riverside/San Bernardino and were hired fresh out of medic school for AMR.

Also I saw that you mentioned PA school and that you are looking for better pay. Have you looked into any ER tech jobs? Generally they are going to pay a lot better than EMT (I don't know about IFT medic) and having your medic cert will put you above most people trying to come in as EMTs.