nonemergency EMT transport question..

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
so I think I'm getting hired for express medical transporter:blush:. my training starts soon..does this count as an EMT experience? i mean it's non emergency but still we provide CPR and AED, and rescue breathing if we have too..did anyone start out working for a non - emergency and then move their way up to a real EMT ambulance job? how did it work out for you? what are the pros and cons working for a non emergency ambulatory job? will it help me get an EMT job in the near future? does this job count as an EMT experience via adding it in my resume to make me more qualified as an EMT candidate? -_-

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
so I think I'm getting hired for express medical transporter:blush:. my training starts soon..does this count as an EMT experience? i mean it's non emergency but still we provide CPR and AED, and rescue breathing if we have too..did anyone start out working for a non - emergency and then move their way up to a real EMT ambulance job? how did it work out for you? what are the pros and cons working for a non emergency ambulatory job? will it help me get an EMT job in the near future? does this job count as an EMT experience via adding it in my resume to make me more qualified as an EMT candidate? -_-

Sorry but NEMT provides no ems experience. Only way it will help you if this nemt also has ems and you can transfer there.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
EMTs are certified by NREMT or licensed by their states. Sorry, but neither of those is happening to you so you do not count as receiving EMT training.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Its not emt experience exactly but are you moving people? From stretcher to stretcher? Talking to them? Then its probably very valuable even if it doesnt count.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
What the hecks an express medical transporter?

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
Its not emt experience exactly but are you moving people? From stretcher to stretcher? Talking to them? Then its probably very valuable even if it doesnt count.

Yeah it involves those services.

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member

Have to be gurney transportation. I do not see them getting emt's for wheelchair transport.

Well you don't need EMT cert to get this job. All you need is a first aid cert and a clean driving record. I think interacting with different patient and helping them get to where they wanna be is gonna polish my communication skills a little greater. And since I got denied by pro transport and AMR, cuz some how they didn't follow up with me after an interview, I have been desperate to get anything i can that is at least close to being an EMT or medical related.

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
I think you will get bored after day one just transporting people in wheel chairs around town. Might as well be a bus driver, you would get paid more probably.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Yea, if you don't have EMT training, you're not an EMT.

I had a few non-emergency transports today. Part of the evacuation for the hurricane we had a few bedridden people freaking out about it. I was out for like 5 hours going back and forth. And for nothing because the hopsitals released them all because there was no emergency. So they were brought to a special shelter with nurses and a doctor on staff.

As for CPR/AED anybody can get that certification. We just learn a lot more skills in addition. There is no real requirements for be a candidate. You just need to register for a class, pay the fee, and show up for the 120+ hours of class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I had a few non-emergency transports today. Part of the evacuation for the hurricane we had a few bedridden people freaking out about it. I was out for like 5 hours going back and forth. And for nothing because the hopsitals released them all because there was no emergency. So they were brought to a special shelter with nurses and a doctor on staff.

If I were bedridden you can be sure that I would be freaking out about the possibility of serious flooding...

OP
OP
jh0n001flip

jh0n001flip

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I have an EMT cert and license but It's been tough on me looking for an EMT job. So I'm just gonna do this..it's still good for my resume cuz it's medical related..and it's not only wheelchair people. Childrens too, mental patient, diabetic patient, and senior people..and ofcourse wheel chaired people.

neslar

Forum Ride Along
EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE.
even though it is non emergency, working these types of jobs will always give u a step up, its another thing to put on your resume.
best of luck to you!

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't think it'll count for any Fire jobs but maybe it'll help you with a privite ambulance service later one.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I have an EMT cert and license but It's been tough on me looking for an EMT job. So I'm just gonna do this..it's still good for my resume cuz it's medical related..and it's not only wheelchair people. Childrens too, mental patient, diabetic patient, and senior people..and ofcourse wheel chaired people.

Don't take this wrong way but you will be a bus driver. You going to transport people from point a to point b. At no time will you be doing medical evaluation of a patient. I personal would not count that as experience when it come to ambulance job.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Don't take this wrong way but you will be a bus driver. You going to transport people from point a to point b. At no time will you be doing medical evaluation of a patient. I personal would not count that as experience when it come to ambulance job.

Why? 99% of this job is customer service and being able to relate to someone and build a patient/provider relationship.

Sure you don't do the assessments and the interventions but you can learn a lot about disease processes and how to talk to people. Also, who's to say that you can't assess the person your transporting?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why? 99% of this job is customer service and being able to relate to someone and build a patient/provider relationship.

I've gotta agree with Looker on this one. Not all "health care" experience is equal, and I don't subscribe to the "any experience that falls under health care is better than nothing" byline (heck, how many threads have there been where people claim that EMS experience is the best thing since sliced bread for med school applications because it's "medical?"). If you're concerned about customer service, then just about any job dealing with customers works. I worked part time/summers a number of years at a movie theater (mostly box office), and I did more customer service there in a 2 week pay period (resolving issues, dealing with customers, etc) than my entire time working on an ambulance.

Similarly, the patient/provider relationship is essentially non-existent in EMS. You're juggling one patient, who often doesn't have a choice in even what company is sent, for, in most places, 10-15 minutes at most. If the patient/provider relation is defined as "able to ask, often invasive, questions professionally and can make small talk" then sure. It's definitely not, however, comparable to a patient and their primary care provider.

Sure you don't do the assessments and the interventions but you can learn a lot about disease processes and how to talk to people. Also, who's to say that you can't assess the person your transporting?

Quick, take a blood pressure or take breath sounds on the patient in the wheelchair behind you, or even play 20 questions about the patient's current state (i.e. OPQRST, history, allergies, meds, etc) while driving.

To the OP, take it, leave it, it's a job. I wouldn't go around touting it as an amazing medical job though (albeit I may just be getting grouchy and mildly elitist, but I find the tech school medical assistant commercials to be hilarious). If anything, I wouldn't play up the medical aspect, but the driving (knowing where major nursing homes, dialysis clinics, and hospitals are, as well as most wheelchair vans are somewhat similar to van style ambulance) and staff interactions.