No Helmet

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
So this morning Gov. Rick Synder of Michigan passed a law that 21 and over Men/Women won't have to wear a motorcycle helmet anymore. There are a few laws that the riders will have to follow. 21 and over, take a special course/or have your motorcycle endorsement for 2 years or more, and have an additional $20,000 in insurance. All I'm going to say is I will have my lid remain on my head. My helmet has saved my life during a few accidents. But my question is with the new law. We get the occasional motorcycle accidents in my service area. With the new law do you think we will see a possibility of more motorcycle injuries/deaths do to the new optional law?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a very interesting question. I'd bet you'll get an increase in motorcycle injuries and deaths. And I'd wager that $20,000 is not enough additional coverage to compensate for the increase in severity of injuries. But that's just my thought. Hopefully, people wear their helmets –:censored:motorcycles are dangerous enough (and car drivers are your biggest risk, I'd bet).

OP
OP
Micro_87

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
I've seen a few riders out today that are still wearing there helmets, and then I've seen a hand full of riders that weren't wearing their lid's.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What's the penalty if you're gravely injured without a helmet?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
After working a bad MC accident a while back the next morning I called my mom and apologized profusely for buying a motorcycle as a young adult. If not wearing a helmet meant instadeath I'd have no problem with dropping laws requiring them but unfortunately we all know that's rarely the case. The long term costs of paying for TBI and the less tangible but no less steep cost on families and loved ones can be astronomical.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well at least Gov. Snyder is looking out for the EMS business. More work for us.

That dud is an idiot. I am sorry I voted for him.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
What's the penalty if you're gravely injured without a helmet?

Free treatment in the closest ED?

Hopefully it's a teaching hospital with lots of pathology residents, cause boy are they gonna have fun later

:p

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well at least Gov. Snyder is looking out for the EMS business. More work for us.

That dud is an idiot. I am sorry I voted for him.

Yes, but much more cost for the healthcare system. Someone's gotta pay...

Anjel

Forum Angel
I was being facisious.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The age should probably be lowered from 21 to 16, that way it will remove more people from the gene pool prior to their likelyhood of reproduction.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's been a law here for sometime.

I don't understand riders who are in shorts, flipflops and t-shirt with their helmets hanging off the back of their bike who drive their motorcycle like retards going far too fast and weaving in and out of traffic and cutting off cars

I don't think they get just because their bikes stop on a dime doesn't mean the cars do.

mycrofft

After treating helmeted (and Kevlar or leather-coated) people with road rash, extremity injuries, cervical spine injury, internal contusions, and concussions secondary to motorcycling, I personally find exposing my tender hide to American style cycling (over fifteen miles an hour) illogical, despite the really neat sensation of speed. Now I hang a little pine tree from my mirror, just turn up my AC and aim it at my face, occasionally drop a bug in the slipstream towards me....

If the protective clothing really works like they say, let's see everyone who is going to buy it throw themselves down a steep gravel-covered hill (s)wearing the gear and decide if it is worth it. Pun unintended.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I personally find exposing my tender hide to American style cycling (over fifteen miles an hour) illogical, despite the really neat sensation of speed.

+1

But since people are going to do it, they ought to have to pay for the costs they impose on others. Perhaps higher taxation for motorcycles?

OP
OP
Micro_87

Micro_87

Forum Crew Member
Day number 2 and all motorcyclists are wearing helmets, that I've seen. Maybe people aren't as stupid as I depicted them to be with this law.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
The stupid. It burns. I'm interested to figure out who thought it would be a good idea to let helmets become optional. Granted, free choice is good... ish... but I don't think we'll be seeing similar moves to make seat belts optional too.

mycrofft

Then car manufacturers make energy absorbing steering columns and air bags extra-pay options.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
But since people are going to do it, they ought to have to pay for the costs they impose on others. Perhaps higher taxation for motorcycles?

Wait, hold up, let's get some facts straight:

There are more fatalities in car accidents than motorcycle accidents, by tens of thousands, every year. One month kills more in car accidents than a full year in motorcycle accidents. In fact, motorcycle fatalities are about equal to pedestrian fatalities.

On top of that, most motorcycle fatalities are actually caused by cars, the vast majority being a car driver illegally turning left in front of a motorcyclists when the motorcycle has the right of way.

I ride a motorcycle. I refuse to get on it without my helmet (among other gear). I think anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot. But I also think it should be a personal choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

+1 except the statistics.

Simple tallies are not sufficient. Need to compare fatalities as deaths per miles travelled, or deaths per ten thousand of each type vehicle. There are many more cars than bikes and an even greater disparity in miles travelled. (We are ignoring significant injuries here, which seem far more ;likely with a bike than a car).

Also, time spent learning and actually safely riding (and whether licensed or not) makes a big difference! So does locale, there are areas where roads are less cycle-friendly.

Sidebar: how about these tiny new cars like the Smart car?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
+1 except the statistics.

Simple tallies are not sufficient. Need to compare fatalities as deaths per miles travelled, or deaths per ten thousand of each type vehicle. There are many more cars than bikes and an even greater disparity in miles travelled. (We are ignoring significant injuries here, which seem far more ;likely with a bike than a car).

Also, time spent learning and actually safely riding (and whether licensed or not) makes a big difference! So does locale, there are areas where roads are less cycle-friendly.

However, the argument wasn't about overall safeness, but about the "cost imposed on others" due to death and such... and the evidence points to more people dying in car accidents.

Google the "Hurt Report" for motorcycling. A bit dated, but extensive in research. Basically, as long as you have a valid license, aren't drunk, and an idiot in a car doesn't run in to you, you are very unlikely to die on a motorcycle, however if an accident does happen, helmets make the single biggest difference in survival.

If left hand turns in intersections were illegal, or at least controlled to where it wasn't "Yield on green", motorcycle deaths would drop dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Got it/agreed. I would like to weigh both, but totals only suffices. If the costs are borne by taxing etc cyclists alone, then the other figures would come into play.

Dual headlights on cycles give us four-door types a better idea of distances and relative speeds too. I see many fewer bad cyclists nowadays versus twenty years ago .

I cannot think of a way to realistically amortize the expense of even just the worst injuries, and I cannot bring myself to deny care (legally, ethically or personally). I'm encouaged by continued helmet useage.