Nitroglycerin minimum blood pressure for NREMT-B test

Strap

Forum Crew Member
I'm taking the NREMT EMT-B in a couple days.

In our class textbook (Brady Prehospital Emergency Care, 9th ed), the author says the patient must have a systolic BP of > 90 to administer NTG. As I study for the NREMT and look at other sources, it seems like everything else I read states the systolic must be > 100.

Which is the correct answer? I know local protocols may vary, so more specifically, which do you think NREMT would consider the correct answer on the test if the subject happens to come up? :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I was always taught >90 systolic

Anjel

Forum Angel
I was taught 100 systolic.

Im pretty sure thats what the NR wants

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I always question whether it really matters for the NREMT, as I imagine either the blood pressure is going to be blatantly obvious on either side. Something tells me the patient isn't going to present with a systolic BP of 88.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
^^ What he said, you're not going to get something borderline. You'll get something like 70 or 60 systolic.

Stingray91

Forum Crew Member
I have the same book as you & I was thinking about this the other day. The textbook and workbook say < 90, but my handout paper for the Nitro the instructor gave us says its a contraindication for administering if BP systolic is < 100

the.devil.himself

Forum Probie
hi.. i took the nremt exam last saturday and if i remember it correctly, the choice was 90-100.. good luck on your exam.. it's not that hard just make sure you know your stuff..

OP
OP
S

Strap

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the replies. Just took the NREMT...and passed it!

One thing on the test that was kinda funny (in hindsight), given the <90 vs <100 discussion in this thread...Without getting into the specific question, the setup involved Nitroglycerin and a systolic BP of 95. I shook my head and thought "Man, I knew this was gonng happen." :sad:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Grats!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sourmash

Forum Ride Along
AAOS 9th (pg.355) and 10th Edition (pg.234) say BP<100 is a contraindication for Nitro adminitration